View Full Version : Rate Yourself As A Fisherman!

BigFish
08-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Curious how you would rate yourself ability wise as a fisherman be it boat or surf or kayak....just a general rating and if you would like to expound on it in a post please do....just a fun analysis!:fishin:

numbskull
08-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately, the fish do the actual voting.

BigFish
08-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I will go first! I have to say I am a pretty average fisherman! I do enjoy my share of success but it is about the entire experience for me just being on the water and enjoying it all whether I catch fish or not! My knowledge of surf fishing and my skills are good, I have done the chunking thing (bores me) and I spent alot of time fishing live eels down the backside (always loved that) but fishing plugs is where I get most of my enjoyment as I make my own and love tempting stripers with wooden lures and I find it the most enjoyable and satisfying method I have found! I just feel as though I am ALL IN fishing with plugs!

From the kayak....same thing.....I know I tend to limit myself by tossing wood all the time and would like to expand my knowledge in this type of fishing by doing more tube and worm fishing (though I find trolling a bit mundane) would also like to do more fluke fishing and target several other bottom fish as well! My numbers are improving from the yak but I want to get better!

Stewie
08-18-2013, 10:10 AM
If I am in an area with fish, I do well enough. I don't consider myself a great fisherman because I don't do the moon phase. wind direction, approaching storm, where should I be, stuff.

Luckily for me, I have friends who are much more in tune with the "where will they be?"part of the game.

I'm happy to get one small fish a night or even take the skunk.

macojoe
08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
In my bot I caught my share and much more!! But on shore I have caught crap!! I would love to learn plugs but have never fished from shore much and the things cost so much!
I have always caught most of my own bait so it was not a big deal.
I love Fluke, Sea Bass, Tog, all bottom fishing. OI use to love Stripers back in the day but got tired of the chase all the time, and then fighting the commercial fleet to get a spot on the water, even though I was one of them.
I say I was good in the day, and SUCK now!

basswipe
08-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Average at best for me and I'm good with that.I for the most part enjoy myself when I fish and when I catch something decent its a bonus.

I'm 44 and have been fishing since my eyes opened and yet have not landed a bass bigger than 26lbs and the biggest fish I've caught from shore was a 34lb Amberjack,both were absolute thrills for me and I can live with that!

GonnaCatchABig1
08-18-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm terrible, compared to the guys on here.. but I think it has more to do with lack of a honey hole than anything else. I think I'm getting close to finding one or two this season.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
08-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Where's the GOOGAN category?

ivanputski
08-18-2013, 11:08 AM
My answer fluctuates... like the stock market

Slipknot
08-18-2013, 11:15 AM
I think I used to be a little better than average, but now just average.
I use winds, tides and weather and past years results because I don't have a big network of info sharers, I have maybe a handful. So when I go the the canal let's say, I am on my own to find fish unless my one or 2 friends that share with me give me a clue. Catching has gotten a lot worse for me this year even though I am putting in lots of time when I am able, the sizes are pathetic also.

bart
08-18-2013, 11:15 AM
These days I'm more into what got me started, and that is fishing plugs from the rocks of the lower Bay at low light periods. Really taking in the beauty,and watching the surf come to life early and late in the day has made me love fishing again. I've been getting a lot of fish this summer but nothing bigger than 15 lbs. But it's been the most enjoyable season I've had in a while and has really put things in perspective for me. I've seen some amazing views and have had more fun taking pics than fishing at times.

I think if I had the money and the drive again and fished eels, I could get into some good fish. I know big fish spots and know what conditions they produce big fish under. But most of these spots require a wetsuit to really fish them effectively and for some reason I still haven't taken the plunge (pun intended). Maybe I'm ascared, maybe a surfcasting purist, I keep telling myself the latter. Also, most of these spots are not so secretive and almost require permission from other anglers as to not intrude. But I do have the utmost respect for the guys who consistently bang fish in the wetsuit. Such a cool way of fishing and obviously productive.

Again, I would rather fish alone or with a good friend, fish plugs, catch a beautiful sunset or sunrise, or preferably both, and catch smaller fish than go hard and step on peoples' toes to go large. If I get a 30 on a plug from the rocks at one of my spots this fall I'll be happy :)

Ok now I'm fired up for Fall fishing :fishin:

iamskippy
08-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Master baiter here! HAHAHAHHAHA i couldnt resist!

5/0
08-18-2013, 01:25 PM
I'll bite,currently I think that I'm below par, due to not fishing as hard as I use to.
Work,age,finance's being a father/husban ect...
I've excepted all of this and wouldn't change a damn thing,I feel that it's a constant struggle to balance as to what's important.

There's something to be said of just getting out there enjoying the vistas, harassing comments and fishing with my good friends. catching fish is an added bonus.

The season isn't over yet and plan on hitting it every chance I can.
Maybe I can break par for the year.

JFigliuolo
08-18-2013, 02:07 PM
I suck... But I enjoy it.

Clammer
08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
JF Where were u all day Friday ???:fishin:

tysdad115
08-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Sub par at best, lucky as hell every now and then. But I'm fortunate enough to go alot and learn from some great people.

JohnnySaxatilis
08-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Jesus if all these people are just average, IM WAYYY BELOW average LOL. I like to put my fishing skill on a handicapp scale like in golf. I'd consider myself like an 15-17 handicapp. My gear is better than my skill level...one of those guys that has nice clubs and loves the game with enthusiasm, but just plain sucks, and hits like 2-3 good shots a round that for some reason brings him back to suffer the next time :)

N.ShoreFisher
08-18-2013, 03:30 PM
yeah, I'm the one that put himself as a novice. Everytime I think I might be able to consider myself a decent fisherman, I do something stupid, or have a equipment fiasco that reminds me of the first few times I picked up a rod. I am also humbled by the massive and vast amount of knowledge the members on this site have. I tend to be the type of fisherman who learns a few things, or learns a few spots, but learns them really well. I rarely move out of my comfort zone, no matter how much nightfighter tells me I don't need to go all the way to Gloucester to catch fish...lol. I rely on the people on this to make me ask the questions I never even knew I should be asking, and now, having been a member for a little while, I actually know less than when I showed up. But I guess that's a good thing. Just keep learning and catching!

niko
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm pretty good - just ask me ;)

jonserfish
08-18-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm probably the best fisherman I know. Best for the species anyway. .....They'd should be around a while we me after them

5/0
08-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Jesus if all these people are just average, IM WAYYY BELOW average LOL. I like to put my fishing skill on a handicapp scale like in golf. I'd consider myself like an 15-17 handicapp. My gear is better than my skill level...one of those guys that has nice clubs and loves the game with enthusiasm, but just plain sucks, and hits like 2-3 good shots a round that for some reason brings him back to suffer the next time :)
Johnny I like your style your one of the good guys that flys under the radar...
Your laid back,more like one speed happy go lucky , your a good fisherman as far as I'Am concerned
I'd put you up there with T O and Backbeach,Angler229,Keeperreaper,Bronko and the Chitbag Westport!
Keep fishing my man!

Swimmer
08-18-2013, 05:53 PM
The egret beat the chit out of me this morning.

Cohenfishin
08-18-2013, 06:06 PM
I don't consider myself a great fisherman by any means. I have logged over a 1000 hrs on the water in the last few years and 2013 has been my best year to date, boating around 200 bass. I learn more each time out but still have a lot to learn.

blue oyster
08-18-2013, 06:29 PM
i used to think I was just above average until this season can't get it going at all :wall:

PRBuzz
08-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Average: I happen to have a boat, I have friends with boats, I have lots of opportunities to fish for different species of fish, I fish all around and far out, I usually come home with the target of the day species and sometimes many more species. I bring people boat fishing to have FUN!

Am I fixated on stripers NO, am I fixated on any other species NO, am I fixated on big (record sized? what's a 40 or a 50?) fish NO, I just fish! I really don't know anything about fishing the ditch, night fishing, suck on party/head boats, don't know a dahrter from canal special! I don't pay attention to tides (except to launch the boat) as I fish when I have time not when the tide/moon is "right". I rarely fish wood and don't know proper technique for this or that plug. I do know a lot more about fishing today than I did 6 yrs ago. I have met a lot of guys that know a lot about this or that type of fishing and have learned what I need to know about that style from them. BIG THANKS to all for that.

ProfessorM
08-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Fishing is pretty humbling so I'm happy with average. God knows I spend more time than most doing it. One would think I would be better at it.

Higgie
08-18-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm just happy to get out on the water. I've been lucky enough to fish a bunch with another member from this site who's has taught me a bunch when it comes slinging eels which has improved my success rate. I think it's all about watching, listening, and trial and error.

Jackbass
08-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Every time I think I am good something happens to tell me I am not. I try and follow patterns think like a fish. Follow movements etc. Then I have a moment where nothing happens as it should either for good or bad.

I had a learning experience this weekend as a matter of fact. I stood on top of a dune looking down at fish swirling slurping finning etc. eating ravenously. Decent sized as well. I grabbed my to headed down and proceeded to cast everything in the bag on top of splashes in between etc so on and so forth. I could not buy a bite. If I had a teaser with me or a fly rod it would have been game on I am certain. But I was completely unprepared to present a lure that could match. Never again.

I think being good above average has a lot to do with preparing yourself adequately to be able to catch. Not just knowing how to catch. But how to catch no matter what the forage base is. Wether it be chunks eels lures tin doesn't matter. If you want to b successful you have to be prepared.

Raven
08-18-2013, 07:52 PM
i tend to Over prepare and bring everything
even the kitchen sink like a doomsday prepper
instead of traveling lighter ....which keeps me
from having as much success as i might have with
less gear. i can't walk hardly now, :hs: so therefore i
am horrible at best. i like to float my boat the most.

bassballer
08-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Whenever I think I know what I'm doing I fish with someone who actually does. I then spend every opportunity picking their brain.

Nebe
08-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I suck :smash:

Slipknot
08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
the poll would have been a lot more fun if the poll wasn't anonymous:devil2::uhuh:

Rockfish9
08-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately, the fish do the actual voting.

yup...

fishbones
08-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Geez, if 5/0 is below average and ProfessorM is just average, I should just sell all my gear beacause I stink. I grew up boat fishing with my dad and was pretty good at it. Then I started surf fishing about 5 or 6 years ago because I wanted to fish more than just on weekends. I fish when I have the opportunity, which isn't always the best time to be out there. Sometimes I do all right, other times I get skunked, but I almost always enjoy myself.

I'm definitely still learning and still make the occasional stupid mistake (like last night). I've been lucky to fish with some guys who I consider to be in the top 10% of striped bass fishermen in this area, and have been able to learn from them. I hope to be able to move up to novice within a couple more years.

piemma
08-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Some days I'm great! Some days I suck. It depends on the fish not on my skills. If they are where you are then you are a superstar. If they aren't then you're a bum.

parker23
08-19-2013, 09:24 AM
From boat- Average
From shore this year, I suck!

JLH
08-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Lots of room for improvement and so much still to learn...

I agree with George the fish do the actual voting.

FishermanTim
08-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Where's the "fishing god" category???

I think I'm above average, but then I also think I'm a legend in my own mind so that takes care of that!:biglaugh:

Then if you compare my catch / miss ratio we're talking a whole other category! :rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman
08-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Fish Fear Me...I know this because every time I go fishing they go off and hide.

Just me presence shut down an Entire Harbor this past Saturday

OLD GOAT
08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
We eat a lot of chicken an hot dogs at our house.

fishrick
08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Saltwater, below par. Freshwater, above, but not on same scale with many, as clearly this is a sport where the more time you spend at it, usually the better you are, and I have other sports and family to enjoy. With the time I spend at it, I feel I am of the top 10%, but the bottom of that 10%!! Did a few money tournaments back before the economy crashed, and my results showed I was right. Big thing is to enjoy it, and I really try to help others, and unless they are rude, I don't mind dealing with "googans"...they are just trying to enjoy the day (or night) as well. Been there, done that...! Love time on the water. Period.

JohnnySaxatilis
08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Johnny I like your style your one of the good guys that flys under the radar...
Your laid back,more like one speed happy go lucky , your a good fisherman as far as I'Am concerned
I'd put you up there with T O and Backbeach,Angler229,Keeperreaper,Bronko and the Chitbag Westport!
Keep fishing my man!

Right back at ya Bob! Its always a great time whenever we hang out wether it be at your killer playoff parties, on a frozen lake, or at the hole jiggin. I really appreciate the fact I know some good fisherman that I've learned a lot from, and you're deffinately one of the great ones. As far as me being as good as you and the aformentioned company.... I highly doubt it, but I'll take it:devil2:. I can think of one occaison when I caught more fish than jay, and I marked it in my log book LOL Tight lines brother!

striprman
08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
I've "lost" too many big fish to rate myself as good. Persistent perhaps.

Fisherwoman
08-19-2013, 06:21 PM
average boat or surf I JUST LOVE TO FISH i am lucky to have a great wife that makes me fish every day . and she beat me every time . capt. bill aka baitcaster.:love::love::love:

Jenn
08-19-2013, 06:36 PM
average boat or surf I JUST LOVE TO FISH i am lucky to have a great wife that makes me fish every day . and she beat me every time . capt. bill aka baitcaster.:love::love::love:

Ha! would HARDLY call either of you "average"! I rated myself as low as possible but if we did a sliding scale based on your vote I wouldnt even be worthy of voting! :)

Fiske27
08-19-2013, 07:09 PM
I feel I'm Average,Mostly fish the Ditch,I Get a Few Keepers a season. Many Shorts & Blues (not this YR.) for the Blues,Would like to fish more,don't have the time. I think I do O.K.

spence
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
My problem is that I'm not a good liar.

the point
08-19-2013, 07:42 PM
I suck at fishing. But I know how to tie knots and get lucky every once and a while.

fishbones
08-19-2013, 07:46 PM
I suck at fishing. But I know how to tie knots and get lucky every once and a while.

My dad used to tell me "If you can't tie good knots, tie a lot of knots". I realized when I got older he was full of it, lol.

Sea Dangles
08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Not many recs are very good anglers. Take most away from their honey hole and they are below average. Lately my enjoyment comes from new areas and targets and therefore, new techniques. A Jack of all trades , yet master of none would describe it.

GonnaCatchABig1
08-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Whelp, i just figured out my problem... i've been taking advice from "average and below" fishermen... where's the website with the good ones?

haha... too much modesty, and humbleness.

....until it comes time to tell stories of the one that got away. haha

HanoverStriper
08-20-2013, 12:12 AM
3 at best

The Dad Fisherman
08-20-2013, 05:11 AM
I've noticed over the years that the REALLY good ones that I've talked to always seem to reference their First/Ex Wife at some point of the conversation....

MAKAI
08-20-2013, 09:37 AM
First ex implies a second ex.

The Dad Fisherman
08-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Thats "First" And/Or "Ex"

massgc
08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
I suck but I like the drinking beer part.

JoeBass
08-20-2013, 11:15 AM
I'll echo some of the others...sometimes I'm invincible and have really gotten the hang of this fishing thing....and other times I stink and will never get good at it. been having a lot of good days this year, and I'm thankful for it.

JFigliuolo
08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Thats "First" And/Or "Ex"

I always think the same thing. At least the ones I know are either single or on a second+ marriage. To be a really good fisherman takes ALOT of time on the water. You either need to be:
A. Single
B. An understanding (read EXTREMELY) spouse
C. prepared to be single again.

This is not a judgement, only an observation.

bassballer
08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Not many recs are very good anglers. Take most away from their honey hole and they are below average. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Yup, Take me away from my spots and im chasing my tail.

moosh
08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I could be a lot better , you have to put the time in . We all have lives ,work ,family,kids ,age plays a lot to do with me fishing . fatigue , the constant adrenaline rush , nocks the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of me . I fish hard for few days in a row and I'm wiped out . If I was younger "I could have been a contender "

Jimbo
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I think I'm a pretty good novice. I used to be better at it when I was healthier and fish more often. Now I'm a closet kit maker and give many away to friends and cousins, but fish my own stuff 90% of the time which probably limits my catching (and theirs). In it all for the fun of it, after family, kids, work, remission, now dealing with an aging ailing parent. When I find time to wake early, enjoy a sunrise and go fishing I relish every moment. Who cares if I don't catch anything? I've caught bigger fish before and I'd like to catch more. I spent the last 10 days on a river in West Dennis. Caught scup, a small bass, and cornered the market on cocktails, never getting the opportunity to use my surf stuff. I bought every snapper popper Benny's had and over a few days doled them out to kids fishing a public dock who didn't know what they were doing. They were ecstatic about the results and what a sense of elation that gave me.

Clogston29
08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
overall, i'd say average to slightly above. above average if you include all fisherman, average if you limit it to those who consider themselves serious fisherman. i do well in my element, but struggle outside of it.

Bronko
08-20-2013, 03:19 PM

rickhern
08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty good - just ask me ;)

Amazing that we had room for the two boys on the boat after we loaded our ego's:love:

Chunkah
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm a miserable fisherman but have a lot of fun being out there. Thankfully every once in a while I get lucky and land on them....then I'm just amazing!

:-p

zimmy
08-21-2013, 08:28 PM
People all the time use sign language to indicate that I am number 1. My own analysis is that I am mediocre, particularly when one considers how much time I spend thinking about fish and fishing.

Raven
08-22-2013, 05:19 AM
that's funny Zimmy :btu:

ThrowingTimber
08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
When I was single and fishing 6-7 nights a week I was becoming decent at best.

Nowadays family, career and all of life's other things have slowed my fishing down significantly.

I have fun and I try to share what little I know and never stop learning. Whether its trout, salmon, tunoids, striped bass, seabass or scup I'm in with enthusiasm :) I'm not an "in the circle" guy but I'm ok with it because I understand I'm not out enough to contribute to the circle. But I'm having a blast each and every time I do get out! Met a bunch of class guys through this site and have learned a TON! And had a ton more laughs.

Slingah
08-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm a hack who just use to put in a chitload of time. Time, luck and sheer ambition / addiction / obsession served me well enough I guess.

joebaggs99
08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm the man. :). But there are better out there

wdmso
08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I consider myself a good fisherman when I go I catch 75% of the time but I don't
put time in waiting for it to happen I target big fish different places at different times of the year.. and each spot produces What I consider Big fish 38 inch or bigger.. Don't get me wrong anything beats a skunk and honestly Id rather catch 12lb plus bluefish or a 7lb albie over a 40inch bass the fight is just different

bloocrab
08-22-2013, 09:30 PM
One of the funniest threads I've read in a while.

Thanks BigFish!! :buds:

ThrowingTimber
08-23-2013, 07:42 AM
I would like to add that I cast as far as a mf'er at night. And not so far during the day.

JohnR
08-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I consider myself somewhat slightly above average but maybe not against the average of the people i fish with - they're pretty good and better than average which i guess makes me below average?

My results are average - can't figure that one out :fury:

Fish Fear Me...I know this because every time I go fishing they go off and hide.

Just me presence shut down an Entire Harbor this past Saturday

Ha!

Amazing that we had room for the two boys on the boat after we loaded our ego's

Haha!

I would like to add that I cast as far as a mf'er at night. And not so far during the day.

Hahaha!

marc.l
08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
it depends on what group of fishermen I am fishing with, if I am fishing with a group of sharpies, I do just ok. put me with googans, and I feel pretty good

marc.l
08-23-2013, 06:46 PM
it depends on what group of fishermen I am fishing with, if I am fishing with a group of sharpies, I do just ok. put me with googans, and I feel pretty good!

onecastmike2003
08-23-2013, 06:58 PM
^ the googans in the new surf caster look with a VS ..... Lol but can't hook #^&#^&#^&#^& :)

Got Stripers
08-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm definately a legand in my own mind for sure, but I think of myself as a very good overall fisherman and excellant when it comes to catching on light jigs+plastic.

If I were to go head to head with people that 3-way eels in fast water over deep structure all season long, I'd catch but probably never close to their rate of success. Same would be true if I were invited to fish needles for stripers off the cape beaches, sure I'd probably catch, but not like Bruce or Dave would.

Everythings relative however, put those same guys in my boat lets go catch tog, striper and black sea bass on light jigs and plastic and I'll clean their clocks. Everyone has a specialty, mine happens to be light tackle and jigs tipped with my hand poured plastic.

piemma
08-26-2013, 11:44 AM
When I was single and fishing 6-7 nights a week I was becoming decent at best.

Nowadays family, career and all of life's other things have slowed my fishing down significantly.

I have fun and I try to share what little I know and never stop learning. Whether its trout, salmon, tunoids, striped bass, seabass or scup I'm in with enthusiasm :) I'm not an "in the circle" guy but I'm ok with it because I understand I'm not out enough to contribute to the circle. But I'm having a blast each and every time I do get out! Met a bunch of class guys through this site and have learned a TON! And had a ton more laughs.

Yeah and you are the only one who called me at 2:00 AM to meet him at "The Point":rotf2:

PaulS
08-26-2013, 12:02 PM
overall, i'd say average to slightly above. above average if you include all fisherman, average if you limit it to those who consider themselves serious fisherman. i do well in my element, but struggle outside of it.

That is how I'd rate myself.

I would give points to people on the site here as most seem to listen to what others do and consider that. They are willing to listen and learn and that is important in becoming a better fisherman.

MAKAI
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I still hook myself in the ass when I cast.

onecastmike2003
08-26-2013, 07:16 PM
need I say more :rotf2: you guys are too funny

jkswimmer
08-26-2013, 08:08 PM
I am really good at planning trips, it's just when I get there the fish are gone.:wall:

Slipknot
08-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Everythings relative however, put those same guys in my boat lets go catch tog, striper and black sea bass on light jigs and plastic and I'll clean their clocks. Everyone has a specialty, mine happens to be light tackle and jigs tipped with my hand poured plastic.
I remember a few times I was afraid you were gonna toss me out of your boat when those few times I was cleaning yours
your method is deadly Bob
I still enjoy that kind of fishing
let's go again this fall someplace to toss the plastic

thortum
08-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Some days I'm great! Some days I suck. It depends on the fish not on my skills. If they are where you are then you are a superstar. If they aren't then you're a bum.

That just about sums it up.
The only time that real skill is involved is when fish are there but do not want to feed, or when they are in the vicinity but need to be located.

goosefish
09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty good at catching fish, but where I really shine is talking about fish and fishing on the phone with other fishermen.