View Full Version : Never ceases to Amaze me

Jackbass
08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
I am an electrician. I just walked out of a customers location that recently under went renovation. The electrician that did the renovation left multiple code violations behind that have caused them to lose production and sales due to Inoperation of neccesary circuitry. Circuit breakers installed in panels where they stripped the threads on the bussing. Equipment grounds used as neutrals. Distribution conductors left loose enough that the wires were discolored and insulation has begun to melt away. Loose connections to neutral bars and breakers.

The level of apathy is disgusting. I am not gods gift to the NEC but at least make an effort to do the job.

FishermanTim
08-29-2013, 12:29 PM
I hope the customer had reported the original electrician, as that was definitely neglegent and shoddy workmanship.

I agree, it never ceases to amaze when "so called" professionals do (very) sub-par work and still insist on getting paid as if they actually did the job correctly!

My parents had a "carpenter" put in a single story deck off the back of their house. The work was done with nails instead of deck screws and within a couple of years it was evident that it was too wobbly to lean against any railings.
They complained to the builder, who ducked and dodged them for months until they threatened legal action. The builder didn't come back to fix the problem but did reimburse them a portion of the cost.

They had the railings reinforced with lag bolts and deck scres and it is still standing today.

Sometimes all you can rely on is yourself and your sound judgement!

Swimmer
08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
I am an electrician. I just walked out of a customers location that recently under went renovation. The electrician that did the renovation left multiple code violations behind that have caused them to lose production and sales due to Inoperation of neccesary circuitry. Circuit breakers installed in panels where they stripped the threads on the bussing. Equipment grounds used as neutrals. Distribution conductors left loose enough that the wires were discolored and insulation has begun to melt away. Loose connections to neutral bars and breakers.

The level of apathy is disgusting. I am not gods gift to the NEC but at least make an effort to do the job.

Sounds like it is a good thing they called you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass
08-29-2013, 03:01 PM
You know I hope most in my profession would be as thorough as I was today. When you get a call that things are turning off and on intermittently that is a clear sign that you have loose connections!

Fly Rod
08-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Was in the building trades and owned my own business for over 40 years....people just do not care today...today they should be taught better with these trade schools.

Where was the city or town electrical inspector???? ...he should be fired.

Rockfish9
08-30-2013, 07:05 AM
When I was first learning a trade (mechanic) ... one of the things that i was taught was to never embarras yourself... by that he meant ..do a job that looks professional ..is neat and tidy .. dont leave it so if some one else ever works on it say's "who's the A hole who did this".. so even if there is a failure it will be because of something else happened.. not a poorly done job... I run the maintenance of a large machine shop... We do most of the work here in house.. everything. from repairs to remodel.. we have a Licenced Electrician...i am a licensed plumber and hold the waste management licenses... I do all the repairs of the machinery..unless it is a big job that can be done faster by a service tech... It never ceases to amaze me how sloppy alot of this work force is... they leave out bolts and washers... fail to tighten other bolts and screws.. bend and break sheet metal covers... and leave hand prints everywhere... I've taken down particians here that were put up by outside contractors.that had electrical connection insdie the wall... no box just two BX cables connected by wire nuts and taped.. scary!.... stories like the one you told are not all uncommon as you very well know..it's a sad statement of what our work force has become...

Jackbass
08-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Can't really blame the Electrical inspector his job is to look at the big picture of the project. On a renovation like this one he may not look inside a panel as often times existing circuitry is used. The fault always goes back to the mechanic doing the work.

I have told the ownership of this chain of DD's that all service I perform for them from now in will include a permit and at least a visual inspection for code violations with a report to follow. I have to cover my ass with some of this stuff because as you know last man in is always at fault. I worked hard to get my licenses I can't Allow others faults to take it away.