View Full Version : third time's a looser

Guppy
08-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Caught this guy drifting eels yesterday, down wind of him on a spinning rod. By the time I took him in and measured we were both spent,,,, :uhuh:
I tried 3 times to revive but each time he came back up belly up.......... :confused:,,, the bright side is everyone I know had striper for supper last night :)

Any tricks out there to bring one back from the here after, happen again this morning.

WESTPORTMAFIA
08-31-2013, 02:15 PM
I would say to use heavier gear so it doesn't happen again if your not into keeping them
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
08-31-2013, 02:30 PM
I would say to use heavier gear so it doesn't happen again if your not into keeping them

Exactly. Get em in quick and back in the water just as quick if your not fishing for dinner.On my boat we use "pool cues" and Abu 7000Ci or Big Game with 50# braid and 50# shock because we put almost everything back. At last count we have over 200 fish over 15# and we kept 6.
BTW, I am NOT saying you shouldn't keep fish. Nothing better than fresh striper on the grill.

Liv2Fish
08-31-2013, 04:06 PM
It really depends on the spot that they were caught in. If you tell me where, I can tell you how to modify the tactic.:devil2:

Guppy
08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Exactly. Get em in quick and back in the water just as quick if your not fishing for dinner.On my boat we use "pool cues" and Abu 7000Ci or Big Game with 50# braid and 50# shock because we put almost everything back. At last count we have over 200 fish over 15# and we kept 6.
BTW, I am NOT saying you shouldn't keep fish. Nothing better than fresh striper on the grill.

Yes, thanks
The rod was an old no name garage sale rig my farther picked up way back when and the reel a 710Z I've had for 30? years. Drag max out and still lost line had to back down on him :),,, tons of fun :uhuh:

I don't know how you guys turn those fish in the ditch,,, do you have to walk the rocks to stay with em?

Slipknot
09-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't know how you guys turn those fish in the ditch,,, do you have to walk the rocks to stay with em?

I use a telephone pole with guides and 11 pounds of drag minimum. keeps them up off the bottom and from taking very much line

5/0
09-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I use a telephone pole with guides and 11 pounds of drag minimum. keeps them up off the bottom and from taking very much line

Those little guppys you pull in Slip don't take any drag.lol!

Raven
09-04-2013, 08:27 PM
it's not all... you Gup

the fish has to want life and to live on

or they just give up... same as people

thefishingfreak
09-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Sometimes they die. I get over it.
Like Ted Nugent says
You can't grill it until you kill it.

RickBomba
09-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Yeah,
The biggest bass that I ever caught was on the "backup" rod that I put in the boat for years and never used.

I tried for about five minutes to make the thing kick again.

The only thing it had going for it was deep water. I have no idea how long it kept swimming but it did.

wdmso
09-05-2013, 04:31 AM
Never had the issue Unless he was gut hooked and it was out of the water for an extended period of time .

Guppy
09-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Sometimes they die. I get over it.
Like Ted Nugent says
You can't grill it until you kill it.

That one got grilled, fried and pan seared,,, had it with a fresh raked up q hog chow dah,, we fed an army over here this weekend! :biglaugh:

jimmy z
09-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Nice bass, anyhow.

bobber
09-08-2013, 12:54 AM
yeah- really nice fish..... haven't seen one in that class in these parts for a LONGG time