View Full Version : POP-UP ADD!!!!

C-5 CC
06-18-2003, 10:14 AM
is anyone else getting this stupid pop-up ad from "something-hammer" every time they log onto this site? It is driving me crazy!!!

C-5 CC
06-18-2003, 10:21 AM
maybe its just coincidental, but it has happened 3 times in a row

Fishpart
06-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Nope

missing link
06-18-2003, 10:23 AM
nothing here

MountainBreeze
06-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Not here.

Christian
06-18-2003, 10:41 AM
negative

Rappin Mikey
06-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Negatory

ragfly
06-18-2003, 11:13 AM
sounds like you need to run "ad aware" this free software scans your files for hidden cookies. Works great and its free!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

hooked
06-18-2003, 11:15 AM
No, but I was getting them from weather.com, espn.com, msn.com...

I downloaded a trial version of a pop-up filter at http://www.meaya.com.

No more pops.

JohnR
06-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Get & run that Adaware - it's awesome. I run this site and I have never and will never do pop-up ads. I've considered doing a popup when someone gets a huge fish - like DaveS's or Mike's 50#ers but I woiuld never do advertising. It's also niot from this site. Are you using AOL for access? They're brutal for this...

I can assure you it's not by doing from here...

Thanks,

John

jugstah
06-18-2003, 12:51 PM
ad-aware doesnt like gator so if you have gator, back it up first.. they nuke anything gator-related..

and yes, run ad-aware and check your box for any spyware...

:af: :af: :af:

I swear by bayesian's popup blocker

DaveS
06-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Gator is spyware, why do U have that crap on your pc man?

jugstah
06-18-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't... I have friends who use Gator.. and I politely remind them of it, but they're old and they don't remember passwords too well.

I'm not the type of person to use that crap. :)

NilsC
06-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by C-5 CC
maybe its just coincidental, but it has happened 3 times in a row
Sounds like you have a piggy back program (module), there are several out there, the worst one right now are "SaveNow"
One of the most pervasive pieces of piggyback software is dubbed "SaveNow," created by a company called WhenU.com. Distributed along with BearShare, iMesh and the Global DivX player that allows people to watch many online movies, it tracks where a person goes online and then pops up separate browser windows with targeted advertisements or special offers... continuously downloads updated information about new offers and keeps a record of where a person surfs on that person's own computer. It runs continually--even when the program it came with is not operating.

Write up on "Pests. Piggy back's and other nasties" can be found here PestPatrol (http://www.pestpatrol.com/), here for the Download (http://www.pestpatrol.com/downloads/eval/download.asp) of the pest remover.
Don't think this is freeware, I think you can evaluate it "x" amount of days then its disabled until you buy it.
I'm using the paid version and it has helped a lot. It saved me the embarresment of me not catching a "Hoax program" one of my friends put on my work computer called "Dirty Mouse".
Nils

locdog8169
06-20-2003, 12:02 PM
i use ad-aware but if you run adaware make sure you reboot and start into safe mode cuz if its a ad program running in the background as a process most of the time adaware cannot get rid of it if its running already, so boot into safe mode and run adaware that way, i usually run it first booting normally, get rid of everything, reboot into safe mode, and run it one more time, theres also one spyware out there that adaware doesnt detect but i forget the name, so if you run it and your still getting the popups try another ad removal program

Alligator
06-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Try this one:

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

It is called Spybot Search and Destroy and it is FREE!!

It really cleaned up my computer.
Just make sure to do the update so that you get all
7500 adware signatures...

Katie
06-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Sorry thats a negitive here. But i am gonna get that adware (or whatever it is) cause everywhere i go just about even my website is poping up with pop ups lol

mrmacey
06-20-2003, 12:47 PM
and my real time virus scan picked up something from that nothing is for free!!!

mrmacey
06-20-2003, 08:03 PM
picked out ten tojan viruses from that ad aware program running another scan now to see if there gone!!

JohnR
06-21-2003, 08:41 AM
I doubt that you have viruses in your adaware.... Mine has been clean...

tlapinski
08-22-2003, 09:47 AM
ok, i installed Ad-Aware, but it isn't blocking any pop ups. :confused: this may sound like a stupid question, but how to i get the program to run? i did the scan, it gave me the results, but i can't figure out how to clean the computer or prevent further pop ups.

mrmacey
08-22-2003, 10:07 AM
grey pop-ups on xp

JohnR
08-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Adaware blocks / finds cookie sessions and registry hacks for advertiser tracking. The reg hacks can and will increase popups. Notcise how as soon as you hit the Internet you get a popup?

Running Adaware DAILY will help prevent that.

For pop-ups, you need a popup blocker like: Pop-up stopper from Panicware.com -

Like Adasware, they also have a limited function free version you can download - Though it's almost as much of a PIA as it is a solution.

Bill L
08-22-2003, 04:34 PM
Mr. Macey, I was PLAGUED by those gray "Messenger Service" pop-ups after I got a new computer with XP Home. I installed, AdAware, but they didn't go away at first.

BUT, I stopped getting them at some point, I don't know why, so maybe it worked :confused:

(or maybe the wife did somehting to get rid of them :confused: )

teaser
08-23-2003, 12:03 AM
No pop ups here, and that pop up stopper program works great.

shore manic
08-23-2003, 03:48 AM
i'm on the old the old web tv plus,. so i'm totally computer illiterate....
never can figure out what the hell you're talking about :smash: HEY NILS C. I NEED A KAYAK,,,,, like to talk to ya again. hope your going to the ma. leg? who ya fishin" with? man i love those rhody spots !!! what a great place to fish!!! now if only i could find it, man i love weekapaug,that's some nice fishin' there!! see you at rhody again nil.s

fishaholic18
08-23-2003, 06:18 AM
No pop ups here. I run Adaware daily.

Captain Bottom
08-23-2003, 07:44 AM
I have cable access and after having the week from hell dealing with constant pop up ads through windows messenger, (6-8 an hour after locking the system down with zone alarm pro)I've found a quick and easy solution to the problem. This affects mostly people who use Windows 2000 and XP. Go to

http://grc.com/default.htm

and download a program called Shoot The Messenger. It's FREE and quickly shuts down your windows messenger and your problem is solved. After 3 days of constant bombardment from people wanting me to buy their software to stop them from spamming me, it is nice to go back to working on the 'puter in peace and quiet.
If you use Norton's Firewall, there is one more thing you have to do. Go into Norton's Firewall and disable "monitor instant messaging" - this actually calls the msmsgs.exe service about every 2 minutes - so it's best to disable that option.
I hope this helps some of you guys that are getting tired of this wonderful new way people are finding to spam us.

Have a good one

Raven
08-23-2003, 08:05 AM
the acronym MSM ...... hmmm what does that stand for? oh yeah
Micro$oft <------- instant messenger .... hey aren't those the guys with more security holes than swiss cheese that have the most boring company on the planet .... THEY suck as spammers and are the BIGGEST spammer out there ...and their xp and windows 2000 operating systems are pieces of JUNK!!!:af:

Raven
08-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Windows 2000, Windows NT, and Windows XP all include the Messenger Service. It's enabled by default. Messenger allows system admins to send little messages to everyone on a network, alerting them when the server is going down. The service makes a lot of sense on a corporate network, but home users don't need it. Here's how to disable it:

Right-click My Computer and click Manage.
Click Services and Applications.
Click Services.
Scroll down to Messenger and right-click the entry.
Stop the Service.
Choose Disable as the Startup Type.
Click OK.

no more grey pop ups

Buzz-erd
08-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Or simply erase windows messenger,AIM, Yahoo messenger etc.
from your computer.Don't even sign up for these services.Using these services is simply asking for trouble,not just from spammers
but also from hackers.
BTW John I also use Adaware and it works great for me too.Over time I've seen a BIG reduction in the amount of pop-ups I receive.
Remember folks run it regulary and you'll never see the same pop-up twice.

C-5 CC
08-23-2003, 12:40 PM
I just disabled xp messenger!! lets see if it works. the pop-ups have been pretty wicked these days!!!!
Brandon

NilsC
09-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Alligator
Try this one:

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

It is called Spybot Search and Destroy and it is FREE!!

It really cleaned up my computer.
Just make sure to do the update so that you get all
7500 adware signatures...

I just downloaded and ran this on a computer that I could not stop pop-ups on, I used AdAware first and removed all 400 entries. After rebooting the cpu I tried the Internet again, pop-ups continued... at a slower rate than before but still there.

Downloaded and tried the spyboot - search & destroy, this got another 29 files and registry entries and there has been no popups since the last scan.
It's an AMD Athlon with OS = W98 and IE6 with sp1 as the browser.

I have another computer that I'm going to try this on (It's the sacrificial lamb in my DMZ, it's due for a re-install.... Blaster worm is killing it ;) ) I'm going to remove the virus and then run the spyboot - search & destroy

Nils:cool:

jugstah
09-04-2003, 08:26 AM
Google has a neat pop-up blocker that I use now.. and it's built into IE6 so its all good.. check it out by going to http://toolbar.google.com/ and see for yourself... and it even has a google search function built it...

I'm using it on a freshly installed machine here at work, and so far, I've been impressed by its small footprint...