View Full Version : For Nightfighter.. A memory from 9/11/2013

Rockfish9
09-17-2013, 07:56 AM
I wasn't going to post this until after the season... but with everyones expectations a little low for the "fal run" I'm going to relay the events of the nigfht from September 11 2013...

As i've posted in other threads recently, fishing has been up and down fast nights, followed by longer periods of slower nights.. i still jhavent been skunked since june.. admittedly, it's take a "rat" fish or two the save the night on more than one occasion.. that was the case tuesday 9/10/2011.. Night shift and I pounded the river hard spending time running plugs on wire on the drop and eeling on the turn.. our reward.. a few fish that wouldn"t have been keepers in 1970...
Sept. 11... alone, fishing the droppinig tide in a spot where the main river, and out going creek and a sandbar/mussel shoal meet .. for the first time this season every cast provided a hit or a fish... these were not the 10lb class fish that have dominated the fishing scene here all summer.. these were fish 20lb and better... late in the tide, as the sox game went to the comercial break for the start of the 10th inning, I had a hit in a large live eel, it was subtle, simular to a schoolie hit.. i dropped the rod tip and when the line went tight, I set the hook... imediatly, I knew this was not a 20 or even a 30 ( I had just weighed and released a 35lb fish).. this fish ran 25 or 30 yards against 4lbs of drag ( I use 16lb Ande Mono).. the fish was on the other side of the bar and just sat there.. i couldnt move it... after what seemed like forever I was thinking i eiter had a seal, or the fish was actually in the marsh grass... I applied as much pressure as I could... I was thankful I had cut back and re-tied aftetr tha last fish but knowing we were approaching the mussel shoal wished I had 20 0r 25lb test...the drag was slow reeling as I attempted to move the fish over the bar which at this point only had 1 1/2' of water on it... the tactic aggravated the big fish and she started swimming again... taking another 15 0r 20 yards of line... the tactic was sucessful she moved, but I lost ground.... we were approaching a small cut that divides the sand bar from the mussel shoal and she took it.. straight out to the river channel... i finally gained ground, even when the fish was directly under the boat she stayed head down digging for the bottom... I nettet her head first... I had all I could to lift her into the boat.. she wasn't the longest fish I have ever caught,but she was thick... as thick as a 5 gallon bucket.. easily as thick as my 61 was... my fancy digital scale is out being repaired( again) so I had to rely on my brass "drag setter " scale.. it bottomed out before the fish was off the deck... I slapped the tape along the fish from tail to jaw ( not accross the body) she was only 49"... from dorsal to belly in a straight line she was 14" I wanted a quick picture before the release, so I did not try for an actual girth measurment... the camera sits on the dash.. I pushed the auto button and it began to count down... I struggled mightly to get the fish high enough to clear the leaning post ( newly installed this year) but couldn't do it.. i dropped to my knee and "cleaned and jerked" the fish up onto my shoulder as the camera flashed... without setting the fish down, i went to the gunnel and slid the fish , head first into the water... as I began working her back and forth, i decided to try and reach my camera on the dash... stretching as far as I could I tried but the basr of the tail was so thick she I didn't have a good grasp... she surged and swam off.. head down and out of sight with just a few beats of her tail... hopeful.. to give another angler a joyous night/day... I ronicaly.. a few seconds latter Mike Carp launched the grand slam that won the game for the sox... she gave me the gift of fight.. I gave her the gift of life..
I didn't fish the next night... Saturday, Bruce and I managed a few fish, nothing over 20lbs or so.. last night.. only giants of the future inhabited the shoal... nothng over 3lbs was around..

moral of the story... you have to be there as often as possible.. each inght/day and tide is differant... fish while you can.. winters a long time passing.

spinncognito
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Outstanding! I purposely avoided looking at the picture until the end so I could savor every word of that experience.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Great story. Nice catch

tysdad115
09-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Great story Joe, thank you.

Bronko
09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Steve K
09-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the great story. My September has been terrible too. That is some sage advice.

Rockport24
09-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Awesome story! The shoulders on that thing are just huge!

Higgie
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Beast mode!! Nice fish and great write up
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
09-17-2013, 11:04 AM
that looks fun JOE! congrats ! i like how you write
as you really Paint a great picture of the experiece

Jackbass
09-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Glad she didn't slip and swallow your head looks like it had the jaws to do it! Beautiful fish

The Iceman 6
09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Great story and beautiful fish, thanks for sharing.

nightfighter
09-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Joe! Good to know she has to pass by here at some point soon. Was banging the surf solo last night. I keep going, either boat or surf. Been able to fish some very fishy looking spots and conditions with no love, but just keep going....They're getting their move on, so just have to happen to be there when they swim by.... You know you are more than welcome down here when your marina pulls the docks. Or before as well....

johnny ducketts
09-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Great read Joe! Great fish congrats!

piemma
09-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Joe, that was a great read and a super fish. Congrats. makes me want to get out again. I almost pulled the boat last weekend.

zacs
09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Great fish and awesome story!!

ProfessorM
09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
As I have said many times before to you very nice catch. Wish I could have joined you with Bruce last week but stuff got in the way. Congrats again.

numbskull
09-17-2013, 03:48 PM
16# test
A guy who uses a scale to set his drags
A guy who doesn't chose to kill a great fish just to weigh it
A quick release more important than a mess of pictures

Pretty clear that you and the fish deserved each other, Joe.

blondterror
09-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Joe you continue to amaze me... what a great read and a night to remember as we near the end of the season... Congratulations on another biggie

Finaddict
09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Sweet fish and story ... thanks for keeping the fire alive

jonserfish
09-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Outstanding! I purposely avoided looking at the picture until the end so I could savor every word of that experience.

funny, did the same thing, good read good pic

Gobi
09-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Great read. Thanks - gives me hope for tomorrow and the day after, and the day after that, and the day after that, etc...

bobber
09-18-2013, 02:52 PM
fish while you can.. winters a long time passing.

genius............

Rockfish9
09-19-2013, 05:55 AM
genius............

nope...just fact...

Alot of fish along the beach front last night... no monsters.... top of about 15lbs... down to first year migrants... ditched the eels and switched to needle fish and jointed eel swimmers... constant action until the horse head started snorting at me... then quiet reined supreme..

Nebe
09-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

bobber
09-19-2013, 08:36 PM
nope...just fact...

I really did mean this as a compliment....

its VERY true- winter IS a long time passing

nightfighter
03-24-2016, 07:00 PM
gentle bump of a good read to get the juices going.......

piemma
03-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Great read and awesome fish Joe.

OLD GOAT
03-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Joe Thanks for the winter fix.
It won't be long before they head north again.
Again thanks for the smile.

chris L
03-27-2016, 08:55 AM
They are on their way caught 2 in local river yesterday in southern Ct .

Nice writing