View Full Version : Thinking of buying a smoker

spence
09-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Have a really nice gas grill. Probably use it monthly.

Discuss.

PRBuzz
09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Got one via MacoJoe, gave it to my son. He loves cooking on it and smoked everything is very good.

Lots of work, stuff goes in the smoker 10-12hrs before meal so lots of planning and watching.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Get a vaporizer

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Jeff if you get one ill be in for some lessons. Always wanted try smoking after trying smoked bluefish. But I get turned away as there is way too much info on smoking that my brain can handle. I'd like to see it done and learn how to do it.

derf
09-22-2013, 05:36 AM
hummm...
i've got a brinkman 3in1 . propane .yea i know ,but i dislike charcoal ...
put wood chips in , fill the water pan ,fire it up .
quick & easy :)
check the temp every so often .
chicken breasts (boneless)@45 minutes
pork tenderloin @ 1 hour
pork butt 3 hours in the smoker finish in the oven :)

JamesJet
09-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Lots of choices, I have a webber smoky mountain often called wsm or bullet. Bit of a learning curve, but get a book called low and slow. Trust me on that one. If you are used to charcoal now it's really easy.

RIROCKHOUND
09-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Lots of choices, I have a webber smoky mountain often called wsm or bullet. Bit of a learning curve, but get a book called low and slow. Trust me on that one. If you are used to charcoal now it's really easy.

PM Tautog. He got a nice on two years ago he likes.

Sea Dangles
09-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Jeff,you like nice things. Get the WSM in the smaller size. I replaced my WSM of 10 years last spring with the same product. These are used in competition frequently and are affordable when compared with the alternatives. Best thing is they are black, which as you know goes with everything. Order from Amazon for free shipping. Great for smoked bluefish pate'.

spence
09-22-2013, 08:59 AM
The WSM seems like a good value. Having a good gas grill I doubt I would use this for much besides smoking, which would diminish the benefit from a Kamado style cooker at a much higher price point. They do sure look cool though and would be great for pizza.

300 bucks delivered for the small WSM is pretty cheap.

I've done 3 hour smokes for ribs on the gas grill but I can't get it to make enough smoke to really impart good flavor, texture is there though.

-spence

Sea Dangles
09-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I have the kamado but I really don't want to gunk it up by doing smokes on it (although there is a ribeye roast on deck for Sunday dinner). I have not touched my gas grill in months due to the FLAVOR natural wood imparts. Thighs,porkbutts,ribs and most of all brisket are fantastic on the WSM.Homemade brines,mops and rubs make it fun to experiment. This fall I will try to smoke a turkey which I hear is awesome.Pull the trigger and never look back.

Fly Rod
09-22-2013, 09:41 AM
here is the best buy for your money.... $150.00 - $200.00 ...U can have two levels of cooking with 22 1/2 inch racks bought at a weber store....can smoke 6-10 ribs at a time or one or two....once U buy the parts would take a day to build...I suggest buying a new open ended barrel and just wash out...cost about 68 dollars....3 weber 22 1/2 grills @ 16 -20 bucks each...do not need black iron pipe if U like bending down...pipe plus stainless bolts to hold racks about 30 bucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiBy2eR6a6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s90uR30wcDM

Fly Rod
09-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Do not use a grill thermometer...most R in accurate....for about 69 bucks U can buy a wireless barbecue Maverick ET-732 from Ebay...follow directions U should have no problems.

http://wyntk.us/smoking-times-and-temperatures

The Dad Fisherman
09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I got a Brinkman Side Barrell Smoker...love it but not great for the winter.....takes a lot of charcoal to maintain temperature in the winter.

http://www.brinkmann.net/images/products/outdoorcooking/zoom/810-3040-W-l.jpg

fishsmith
09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a chargriller, it has a propane grill and charcoal grill w/smoker hopper (lowes special) So far the pork ribs have come out the best. I made brisket Saturday, but it didn't come out as good as I hoped, or maybe I'm not a brisket fan ( but I love corned beef). Anywho, I'm hooked and really enjoy the slow cooking. I use oak ... It's mild and I've got an oak tree in my yard. Good luck

spence
09-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Do not use a grill thermometer...most R in accurate....for about 69 bucks U can buy a wireless barbecue Maverick ET-732 from Ebay...follow directions U should have no problems.

http://wyntk.us/smoking-times-and-temperatures
Yes, even having a good electric would help on the gas grill.

-spence

spence
09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
I got a Brinkman Side Barrell Smoker...love it but not great for the winter.....takes a lot of charcoal to maintain temperature in the winter.

That's a good point. Right now I grill year round. Hard to do pizza in the winter but most things are fine once it's gets cranking.

-spence

Mr. Sandman
09-24-2013, 08:54 AM
I am not a fan of the BBQ type smokers...you can not really control the heat accurately without constant tinkering. You want an electric smoker not one where you build a fire esp for fish. The the basic key to a good smoke (esp with fish) is brine, DRY, smoke at a low temp. You do not want to cook it you want to smoke it.

For this reason, I did a lot of research on these things and have had several smokers over the years. There are lots to choose from. My first one was a little chief from LL bean. I made a lot of good stuff with that thing but it rusts out and it is hard to control the heat.

I eventually went with the Bradley smoker in all SS. The model I have is not made any more and they have gone to an all digital generator that controls temp and smoke precisely.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/product/bradley-electric-smoker/

I have had mine for about 8 years now and only had one minor problem in year 2 and I called them and they replaced the entire smoking unit for free. Excellent customer service and very good equipment.
If I were buying one now...I would buy the newest digital one they have, you will not be sorry. This is what you want... http://www.bradleysmoker.com/product/4-rack-digital-smoker/

They look like a small refrigerators, are insulated and it controls the heat and smoke better than anything I have seen in a non-commercial machine. Some of the big commercial smokers are incredible but they cost 8-10K+

You have to buy the wood pucks from them. They come in a lot of different types of wood for different flavors. I like alder with fish. I thought that would be a pain but it works so well and is so slick and controlled and there are no screw ups when doing it. I like the system.

Sea Dangles
09-24-2013, 02:16 PM
To me it is the tinkering that is fun. It only takes a couple of smokes to learn how to regulate the temp and a cold bev of choice makes it more than tolerable. My brother has the brinkman and my Dad has a gas smoker but seeing that I just replaced my WSM,you can tell I am satisfied. If you ever tried my smoked jerk chicken thighs you would understand.

Rockport24
09-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Ok, sounds like we need to have an S-B smoke off! I'll be a judge! :drool:

The Dad Fisherman
09-24-2013, 03:15 PM
To me it is the tinkering that is fun.

yep...same here. I like to spend the day in the yard putting around and smoking up some ribs, or a whole Turkey :drool:

Rockport24
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
And then I don't get an invite? :wall:

Saltheart
09-24-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm amazed at some of the short times reported for smoking. We used to put bluefish on and it took all day.

I think if you are a purist requiring charcoal its going to be a long day of baby sitting. If you can go for other sources of heat , I think the electric ones are the most automatic in terms of temp control. My heart leans towards gas fired but the all day long temp control feedback loop is not there as it is with an electric one.

Anyway ,I love the taste.

Fly Rod
09-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I too am amazed at the short times...Saltheart U were probably cold smoking them fish at 60-70 degrees...I do believe it is illegal to cold smoke for retail sales in Mass....plus cold smoking does not kill all the bacteria from what I have read....I smoke Alaskan salmon till it reaches 140 degrees depending on thickness

babybacks or ST. louis ribs take me about 4-5 hours at 250 degrees ...pork butt 9 hrs. or longer at higher temperture ....same with brisket....brisket is hard to get tender....rule of thumb with brisket is when U take a butter knife and slide it in easy in middle of brisket it is done....need to inject brisket with juices.

Some have said U have to watch the smoker all the time....once to desired temp I leave for an hour or so and recheck temp....go cut the grass etc:....sometimes my problem is not letting coals get hot enough at beginning ....once ya learn the nack of it it becomes simple.

Just bought a fresh 13 lb. porkbellie from market basket will brine today for 5 days and then smoke it....hope I do not mess it up....:)

This could be a good read for some.

www.amazingribs.com

Sea Dangles
09-28-2013, 12:55 AM
In the WSM I cook the butts overnight.Check it before sleep and it is done when I wake up. Absolutely killer!

spence
09-28-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm a bit of a purist but definitely see the practicality of a unit like a bradley. For some things like this I find it better to go natural, make a ton of mistakes and get a good understanding of how things really work. If you stick with it and are going to smoke a lot then upgrade.

That digital unit is nice though and the price looks pretty good for what you're getting.

This will require some more thinking. Thanks for all the input.

-spence

basswipe
09-28-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm still using my cheapo Brinkman smoke 'n grill,slightly modified for easier use.I've never gone wrong with it so far,I've had some really good stuff come off of it.You are limited to the size of what you can smoke though.I keep telling myself that I'm going to step up but this one works great for me.

With the new Weber gas grill I recently bought I found a v-shaped smoker box that sits between the "flavorizor" bars just above the burner works much better than the square ones that are off to the side.

spence
09-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Wow, that Bradley digital is only $360 delivered from Amazon.

-spence

Saltheart
09-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Great Deal! Go for it! :)

basswipe
09-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Wow, that Bradley digital is only $360 delivered from Amazon.

-spence

Wish ya hadn't posted that.Damn fine chance I'm about to be $360 lighter in the 'ol wallet!

spence
09-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Wish ya hadn't posted that.Damn fine chance I'm about to be $360 lighter in the 'ol wallet!

Need to check and see if it's really the same one in Sandman's link or perhaps an older model? Still looks nice though.

-spence

JamesJet
09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Well I wont argue results and precision of the electic, but the experience and satisfaction of doing the standard way has its appeal...

JackK
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Jeff,you like nice things. Get the WSM in the smaller size. I replaced my WSM of 10 years last spring with the same product. These are used in competition frequently and are affordable when compared with the alternatives. Best thing is they are black, which as you know goes with everything. Order from Amazon for free shipping. Great for smoked bluefish pate'.

Dangles do you ever regret not getting the larger size?

spence
10-01-2013, 05:16 PM
So much fun could be had here :fishin:

-spence

Sea Dangles
10-01-2013, 07:17 PM

A friend got it and goes through a lot of charcoal.The size I have is generally more than adequate.

Fly Rod
10-03-2013, 03:04 PM

get the larger one ...ribs take up space

The Dad Fisherman
10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
If you get a rib rack you can stand them up vertically....saves some space

spence
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
If you like a St. Louis cut I'd think you'd need to often cut them in two to fit the smaller size.

Sea Dangles
10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I cut them in two and use the rib rack. Don't forget there is an upper and lower rack so unless you are smoking for the neighborhood there is plenty of space. I can smoke a full brisket on top with a turkey below which will easily feed 12-15. Four pork butts are also doable.

Fly Rod
10-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Costo's babyback and ST Louis trimmed R approx. same length....just bought 2 packages of ribs from Stop & Shop not trimmed $1.79 lb. with the card... saved 20 bucks...they R about 12 inches wide taper to about 8 inches....today last day for sale.

wife likes a lot of sauce on hers so I cut in half to put on smoker or grill or in oven

If ya have a little yard party or family over U will wish ya had the bigger WSM...looked at the bigger one four different times was going to buy till I saw the uggly smoker barrel...to each his/her own...:)

FishermanTim
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a brother who's a chainsmoker, does that count???

spence
10-04-2013, 10:27 AM
How much?

-spence

JackK
10-23-2013, 09:03 AM
The WSM truly is a marvel of engineering. Fired it up for the first time last night at around 4. Minion method. Made some fantastic chicken, and at 10 it was still holding steady at 275.

Looking forward to messing around with it some more!

The Dad Fisherman
10-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Looking forward to messing around with it some more!

Nothing better than a nice rack of ribs while Ice Fishing....Just Saying :hee:

Fly Rod
10-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Congrats... enjoy....:)

Did ya get the bigger of the 2 sizes????....went to weber store several times before making my own....UUUUUUU made a very good choice

Sea Dangles
10-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Hotsauce.com for a 9 lb tub of walkerswood. Apply to chicken thighs and smoke for a few hours, add beer and hardwater... Nothing better

Sea Dangles
10-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Make sure you take care not to damage the door,tight fit is essential for fuel coservation.

beamie
10-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Well I wont argue results and precision of the electic, but the experience and satisfaction of doing the standard way has its appeal...

Well said. The electric looks really nice for reliable set and forget though. I would love a smoker but my wife.....not so much on the smoke flavor thing.

JackK
10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
I went with the 18.5- I hear the argument for the 22 but it was just too big for me in the space I wanted it. I like the ability to move it around as well. If I have to cook a pile of food down the line I'll fire up the kettle as well.

Thanks for the link SD. Walkerswood is unbelievable stuff!!