View Full Version : Launching out of Winthrop

Fish On
06-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Launching out of Shirley Road in Winthrop this weekend. This will be my first time in the boat between Boston and Gloucester. Looking for old linesides. Any suggestions on spots? I'll probably be fishing live macks and/or trolling.

Fish On
06-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Does noone have any areas/ideas they can share about striper fishing in a boat out of Winthrop? I'll certainly be extremely grateful. If there's anything to watch out for at the launch on Shirley St. that would be appreciated as well. I've never launched there before.

Phestaris
06-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi Fish On, Nice ramp plenty of parking but no dock so have everything loaded and ready to go. Good fishing all around here. I have had good luck trolling in and around the harbor. Follow the channel to the right with airport on your left. Lots of grass and flats to cast into or troll around. Also around Deer Island is great. Good Luck.

fishsmith
06-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Fish On,
Nobody wants to give spots out, nothing personal, just look at your chart and you'll find the right spots.

I couldn't find any documentation, but on the news the other day there was a piece on the expanded restricted waters around logan, they did say if boats stray in there it won't be long before they found out they shouldn't have.

Just found it:

http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/170/metro/Security_perimeter_readied_at_Logan+.shtml

Good luck and live Macks will bring the fish to you.

JohnR
06-19-2003, 03:22 PM
I don't fish north of the Airport so I can't offer you much. But I can say with a reasonable assurance that with a good NOAA chart, an Eldridge Tide/Current Bible, the wind in my face and LIVE MACS I could find some keeper fish! Just a quick look at a map shows plenty of sweet spots just up to Nahant to Marblehead. So much so that when I get my boat finnished I want to check some out. That's SWEET Water!!!!!!

You want rocks / holes / ledges and moving water / rips . This is partially dependant on wind, tide, current, and nearby channels. Just be EXTREMELY careful in amongst and approaching the rocks.

Fish On
06-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Great stuff! Thanks very much. Live macks are the first thing on my list. There has been plenty of them up around the Merrimack. I hope there are some left down around Winthrop.

Tight lines.