View Full Version : Great Being Nice!

BigFish
09-26-2013, 09:27 PM
So I met a guy on the beach today from NJ! I was hitting the fish pretty good on topwater and had a 15#'er on the beach when he walked by and he setup to fish bait down the beach from me! I was catching and he was watching and I hooked up with another fish about 17 pounds and after I beached it he walked down to me and asked me what I was using! So long story short I hooked him up with a few pencils I had in my bag and a leader......he was fishing an 8 foot rod, a little small for the salt I thought but he would manage with one of my 1 oz pencils so I gave him one and after a few casts he snapped it off! No biggie...I gave him another one and gave him instructions on how to use it as I was leaving and went on my way! He just e-mailed me and said he took 9 fish on it....biggest was only 22 inches but he got them all in about a half hour! He said I made his day and he was just so thankful for the plugs! Really nice guy......just feels good to help someone enjoy their time out there!:uhuh:

JackK
09-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Amen. Too many people rip on "googans"- much more rewarding to help someone out, offer a few pointers then watch them catch!

saltyric
09-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Solid.....Good for you! World would be a better place with more of that type of stuff

BigFish
09-27-2013, 06:11 AM
I must be mellowing with age! :rotf2:

JohnnySaxatilis
09-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Good work Larry! Those pencils kick azz! You could teach a monkey to catch fish with those 1oz pencils, not trying to take anything away from the guy, I mean they're that good. Nice going!

Rockfish9
09-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Everybody was a "googan" at one time or the other.. we were not born knowing how to fish or what is proper edicate... some one .. some where... had to teach us... it could have been our prents... or some one we befriended... or a complete starnger we "horned in on" because we were curious what they were doing right.. and we were doing wrong... form there we can learn on our own..but the seed must be sewn... people like you Larry are what makes the differance between a fisherman and a sportsman... thanks for helping the guy out..

massbassman
09-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Great story Larry, and good for you! Nice to hear about good things in life once in a while. I had a similar experience on a South Cape beach years ago, with rigged sluggos. My wife and I were eating dinner at a restaurant near there a couple of years later when the waitress brought over some drinks we hadn't ordered, and pointed to a couple at the bar and said " the drinks are on the gentleman over there." When I looked over, it was the same guy from the beach, still wearing that appreciative smile that I left him with years before. He used his hand to give me a tip of the hat gesture and went back to his conversation. I was shocked he remembered me, but gestures like that stick with people Larry, and he probably thinks about you every time he hits the beach! Thanks for sharing!

BigFish
09-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Its funny you have a story like that Massbassman...I have a friend from Jersey I met about 8 years ago...same place I was yesterday! We struck up a conversation that day and everytime he and his wife come up this way we get together to fish and they are coming this week! We keep in touch by e-mail and get together for dinner also when they are here.....just great meeting great people! We hit it off and share a passion for fishing so.....here we are still getting together when they come to town!:uhuh:

MakoMike
09-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Good for you!

PaulS
09-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Nice!

massbassman
09-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Its funny you have a story like that Massbassman...I have a friend from Jersey I met about 8 years ago...same place I was yesterday! We struck up a conversation that day and everytime he and his wife come up this way we get together to fish and they are coming this week! We keep in touch by e-mail and get together for dinner also when they are here.....just great meeting great people! We hit it off and share a passion for fishing so.....here we are still getting together when they come to town!:uhuh:

So true Larry, I don't fish as much down there anymore, but any time I am there I think of him, and find myself keeping an eye out for my old "friend"!:)

spence
09-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Everybody was a "googan" at one time or the other..

Googan is not synonymous with beginner.

-spence

BigFish
09-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Its funny how just a small gesture can lead to a great friendship!:) This is me and my buddy Chris Harch!

Rockfish9
09-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Googan is not synonymous with beginner.

-spence

True to a degree..if.you want to nit pick about terms.. especialy a a MADE UP one... I should have said "green horn".. the "googan" term is loosely thrown around...too loosely sometimes... I've seen plenty of "pro's" act like googans because they thought they were entittled...now back to talking about a good deed rather than nit pick.

Linesider82
09-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Its funny how just a small gesture can lead to a great friendship!:) This is me and my buddy Chris Harch!

Great story, thank you for sharing.

Swimmer
09-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I have known Larry to be this type of person, despite the sometimes fake bad moods he displays, for years. I met him when things were not as good for him as they are now, and he had difficulty making ends meet. He was just as giving then as he is now.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones
09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Kudos, Larry. Very nice gesture, but I don't think anyone who knows you would be surprised at your generosity. You're one of the really good guys.

PaulS
09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I few years ago I stated in one of my posts that I lost a few plugs the day/night before including a BFL pencil. Larry offered to sell me 2 at a discounted price which someone delivered to me at Cutty. :love:

justplugit
09-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Nice Larry, that's what life SHOULD be about all the time.

I get a kick out of the brilliant know it all's. They have a short memory as to who
sacrificed or taught them.

BigFish
09-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Wow thanks guys......I think I am blushing.:blush:

Slipknot
09-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I have known Larry to be this type of person, despite the sometimes fake bad moods he displays, for years. I met him when things were not as good for him as they are now, and he had difficulty making ends meet. He was just as giving then as he is now.

:btu: :uhuh: :btu:

Nebe
09-27-2013, 10:32 AM
This could have taken a turn to the pork frogging route. Glad you turned it around Larry.

BigFish
09-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Its alot more fun if everyone is catching fish! :fishin:

buckman
09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Great story ! Nice...
Not to toot my own horn , but I heard through a friend about a young teen going through some tough times . Heard she is also a Wicked Tuna fanatic ..... Guess who's going tuna fishing on board Hotreels tomorrow ?
Probably be the most rewarding trip of the year

BigFish
09-27-2013, 11:15 AM
This gentlemen (Ted is his name) just e-mailed and he did the sunrise shift and he got 13 more fish to 23 inches! He really cleaned up! He is very new to this...I think I might have ruined bait fishing for him!!! LOL!!:rotf2:

johnny ducketts
09-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Larry, Awesome gesture!!

ps.. where do you fish?, i need me a big fish pencil!

OLD GOAT
09-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I have been lucky to have picked up a few lessons in my younger days from oldtimers. One being if I had a fish hit a bait rod I would yell out----HEY KID,GRAB THAT ROD!!!!!--and enjoy watching a kid pull in a fish.
I would win a friend for life.

Gobi
09-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Amen. Too many people rip on "googans"- much more rewarding to help someone out, offer a few pointers then watch them catch!

Agree. There's no better feeling out there than helping someone out.

FishermanTim
09-27-2013, 12:30 PM

I think he shook off the "googan" when he ASKED instead of just casting across or crowding you.

Once someone asks the simple question like "What are you using?" it opens up the door to enlightenment and they soon learn more about angling than just the fish!

I am always willing to help fellow anglers that are not having as much luck as they could when using the wrong tackle or gear.
When I freshwater fish, I carry extra rigged rubber frogs that I will pass along to deserving anglers, all with the hope that they may want to expand their horizens and learn more about the total angling experience.

It is always great to hear that someone that you helped did well on their own!

KUDOS!!!

Raider Ronnie
09-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Deep down Larry LOVED the Oakland Raiders when he was a kid :-)

The Iceman 6
09-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Great report Bigfish, keep them coming.

Raven
09-28-2013, 03:37 AM
i like these stories allot....

there's so much weird sh it goin on that it's really nice to hear about
someone doing a good deed for a change.

wdmso
09-28-2013, 04:43 AM

I agree many always forget they were once belonged to the"googans"

but some wont admit it .. I know I was one when I started

I wish more common courtesy's like was displayed by Bigfish was a more Common occurrence .. in our every day life. So we wouldn't be surprised as much when it happens

spence
09-28-2013, 08:32 AM
True to a degree..if.you want to nit pick about terms.. especialy a a MADE UP one... I should have said "green horn".. the "googan" term is loosely thrown around...too loosely sometimes... I've seen plenty of "pro's" act like googans because they thought they were entittled...now back to talking about a good deed rather than nit pick.

It's not a nit-pick, just a clarification. In fact in context of the thread I think it amplifies the good deed ;)

-spence

Liv2Fish
09-29-2013, 09:12 AM
This gentlemen (Ted is his name) just e-mailed and he did the sunrise shift and he got 13 more fish to 23 inches! He really cleaned up! He is very new to this...I think I might have ruined bait fishing for him!!! LOL!!:rotf2:

You should introduce him to SB. Looking back, after all I have learned poking around the searches and chatting with people on here, I was somewhat of a Googan (more of a green horn) when it came to the surf. I was mostly a boat guy till I found this place after getting skunked during a blitz on my beach. learned about teasers and cleaned up the next morning.

goosechase
09-29-2013, 04:34 PM
BigFish really is a true sportsman. I met him the other day while he was packing up his gear and loading a couple of nice stripers he just caught. I've seen him a couple of times before and this time I figured I'd ask him what he was using and if he had any pointers however having never met him before I wasn't exactly sure what kind of response i'd get. Not only did he give me some pointers on how to fish from the shore, I usually fish from my boat, he offered to let me tag along the next time he was in the area and show me firsthand some of the things he was talking about. It's not often you meet someone with a ton of knowledge who is willing to share it so easily.

BigFish
09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Rich is that you?? You keep in touch with me on here and we will fish! Great meeting and talking to you! I mean it! :uhuh:

goosechase
09-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Will do, Larry. Thanks again!

massbassman
09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Awesome!:btu:

Slingah
09-29-2013, 07:42 PM
BigFish really is a true sportsman. I met him the other day while he was packing up his gear and loading a couple of nice stripers he just caught. I've seen him a couple of times before and this time I figured I'd ask him what he was using and if he had any pointers however having never met him before I wasn't exactly sure what kind of response i'd get. Not only did he give me some pointers on how to fish from the shore, I usually fish from my boat, he offered to let me tag along the next time he was in the area and show me firsthand some of the things he was talking about. It's not often you meet someone with a ton of knowledge who is willing to share it so easily.
This reminds me of an encounter more than 10 years past now. Meeting a pleasant, gentle giant on the rocks who was eager to swap fishing stories and talk techniques. It was the following season when after joining here that I was reintroduced to the soon to be famous Internet personality now called the BigFish. Many,many great fishing adventures followed for years after but it was that memorable first meeting that I will never forget!

BigFish
09-29-2013, 10:29 PM
I miss my fishing buddy Slingah out there.....just saying to Joe the other night....its not the same or as much fun as it was when you were with us!:uhuh:

Slingah
09-29-2013, 10:51 PM
I miss my fishing buddy Slingah out there.....just saying to Joe the other night....its not the same or as much fun as it was when you were with us!:uhuh:

I miss you guys too, but you didn't even get the joke about the first meeting.
I think you really wanted to drown me. LOL.

BigFish
09-30-2013, 04:19 AM
What can I say about the meeting? I am the same today with alot of people......catch me on a bad day and I can be a bit bristled!!! LOL!!! If first impressions were everything....Slingah and I would not be buddies! LOL!! I can, at times......be a prick!:rotf2: