View Full Version : Rhody Herring Runs!

JohnR
06-19-2003, 09:43 AM
There was a meeting last night about closing 3 Runs in Rhody to Restock - Apponaug, A run in Barrington, and Buckeye Brook... I just found out about it - after the fact. You've all heard me beatchin and moanin about the chemicals in Buckeye Brook from the Airport - well now they want to shut it down - this is what I just saw in an e-mail:

My apologies to all who get this notice a couple of times.
Last evening the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife held a public hearing regarding their plans to CLOSE OFF FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR the herring runs at Warwick Pond/Buckeye Brook, Gorton Pond/Apponaug Cove outlet, and Prince Pond/Barrington River outlet. There was no specific, scientific evidence made public to justify such closures for the purpose of "restocking". There was no specific timetable for reopening the runs. There were no specific goals for the proposed restocking made public. Furthermore, an angler who had participated in restocking programs in Massachusetts testified that restocking was done in Massachusetts without closures to the herring runs. If this angler sees this email, would you please put your testimony in writing and email the group a copy. Further testimony challenged DFW data collection as no one in the room had ever seen anyone monitoring the herring runs in question. Also several of us made the point that the heaviest runs this year happened after dark when no one but a few fisherman were around. Further testimony stated that closing off all three of these herring runs at one time would put excessive pressure on the remaining runs, thus being counterproductive. DEM enforcement, or the lack of, was mentioned as a major problem in dealing with overfishing. The point being that without enforcement, restocking would have little long term benefit.

The Chairman of the public hearing was admonished several times for not providing adequate notice of the public hearing and for taking the position that the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife can simply "dictate" what it intends to do. Our objections, coupled with a disgusted Steve Medeiros leaving the room prompted the Chairman to extend the public hearing for the purpose of gathering emails and letters from the public by 4:00 p.m. on June 27. Here is the email address, fax number, and mailing address where you can send your comments:

email: thurstonj@dem.state.ri.us

fax: 401-783-4460

mail: Rhode Island Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, Att: Dep. Chief of FW Fisheries
4808 Tower Hill Road
Wakefield, RI 02879

If you are a business owner, charter captain, etc. whose livelihood would be effected by these closures please let DFW know this.
If you are a concerned angler, feel free to use the testimony/observations reported above to object to such closures. You must do so in writing by June 27 to have any impact. Thanks.

Bob Moeller, RISAA Board of Directors
Chairman, RISAA Public Access Committee

Basstime
06-20-2003, 06:08 PM
John, Spoke to Steve Insana ( president, Buckeye Brook Coalition)today via e-mail. He stated that the proposed closure may be for 4 years. Ouch!! I personally participated in the herring count on Buckeye Brook. While this was my first year of counting, I can say that the returns were very disappointing. There were only 2 or 3 days that showed any significant numbers. While there may have been some strong pushes of herring in the nights and evenings which would have gone uncounted, there still should have been more herring in the the brook overall. Steve mentioned that last year was perhaps the best year in the 20 or so years that he has observed the herring run. If so what happened to this year? How could there have been such a large drop-off on numbers? Airplane De-icer runoff from Green airport? More information is needed on this for sure! Hopefully a happy balance can be achieved. Where is that guy from Mass? Any luck finding him?:(

Clammer
06-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Basstime=======you fishing???????????//

Basstime
06-20-2003, 10:10 PM
More work than fishing right now. Hope to wet a line sometime early next week. Tied up with family functions this weekend. Might be able to sneak out Sun am for few hours weather permitting. Boat should be coming up from Florida in the next few weeks. Sounds like your having some good spring fishing and R.E. as well.

Clammer
06-21-2003, 07:34 AM
no complaints Tim, hope to hook up with ya
how,a Captain Carl & his new rig???

JohnR
06-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Basstime - I'm not in the know on this whole thing with Buckeye Brook but like most everything else, it was likely the de-icer. It seems that you get rid of that and you are far liklier to restore what was a pretty stinking good run in previous years. Closing the runs for FOUR years 'cause the numbers were down this year probably do to the asswipes at the Airport would be foolish and a big display of mismanagment. But hey, if the runds were closed there would be less pressure from having the Airport dump chemicals :doh:

Buzz-erd
06-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Weather,Weather and Weather.All the runs in Rhode Island were
down.The Little Compton runs were so heavy last year compared to this years runs.
This winters(and spring) lead to tons of run-off in to all rivers and streams.As to if the airport is responsible for Buckeyes state,
possible.As to wether they're dumping chemicals,not likely.To closely watched to be dumping.
Very well could be deicer,look at how much snow we had.Rather see a stream closed than a plane crash.
We got voices,there's got to be a way to keep airport runoff from entering the stream.The airport certainly isn't going to stop deicing planes.And the deicer theory doesn't explain the other closures.
I do know this for a fact poaching has been on a big scale here in Rhode Island,especially in Little Compton because of its proximity to Mass.DEMs unwillingness to simply check to see if the people grabbing herring have a liscense may have something to
do with it.Its easy in this area for a poacher to simply say "no speak English" until the officer simply gives up.Watched it happen more than once.

Basstime
06-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Buzz-erd
Weather,Weather and Weather..... This winters(and spring) lead to tons of run-off in to all rivers and streams. As to if the airport is responsible for Buckeyes state, possible. As to wether they're dumping chemicals,not likely.To closely watched to be dumping. Very well could be deicer, look at how much snow we had.Rather see a stream closed than a plane crash.....

The problem with the airport de-iceing is that their recovery of excess fluid is not very efficient. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) I read an article saying that they recover 40% according to an airport spokeswomen. How much goes on the plane, 60%, I doubt it. Any residual goes down the catch basins into Buckeye Brook. Sometimes the smell is unmistakable. Ask any one who has been to the "tubes" by Lakeshore Dr. According to a verbal conversation (verifiable ?) with someone with knowledge of airport operations, on at least one occasion recovery of excess fuild was either very little or non-existant ("blow and go") due to volume of take-offs. The airport needs to contain,treat and/or dipose of their own run-off in a better way. They must also be able to handle the volume of take-offs in the first place that require de-iceing. "To closely watched to be dumping".... perhaps not watched close enough.

I don't think poaching has had a big effect on this particular brook.