View Full Version : Kitchen Cutlery

spence
09-29-2013, 11:37 AM
I love good knives.

This is a great deal for anyone looking for something decent without breaking the bank. Sign up for the deal flyer coupon and wait for a 35% off Free Shipping coupon...that makes them 149 bucks delivered.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wusthof-classic-cooks-knife-set-3-piece~p~2752d/?filterString=cutlery~d~6746%2F&colorFamily=99

Take care of them and they'll last a lifetime.

-spence

jim sylvester
09-29-2013, 12:14 PM
that's my knife of choice 16 years and going strong love it

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Will they rust like the POS Cuisinart crap that I have? My girl talked me into them. STOOOOOPID

spence
09-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Will they rust like the POS Cuisinart crap that I have? My girl talked me into them. STOOOOOPID
Not unless they're abused. Don't ever put them in the dishwasher.

-spence

Sea Dangles
09-29-2013, 06:05 PM
I will stay with shun classic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
09-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I will stay with shun classic
Shun are pretty good for the money and I've got several. For someone new to knives though I like the German blades. They don't get quite as sharp but are more versatile in the end and much more durable.

-spence

massbassman
09-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Ive had a set of Calphalon knives for years, not the best, but decent and keep a good edge... went to the Big E last week and spent $20 on a 10 piece set from the "Knife Guy"... freakin awesome! Been making up excuses for things to cut up ever since!! More $$ is not always better.:confused:

Jackbass
09-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Ive had a set of Calphalon knives for years, not the best, but decent and keep a good edge... went to the Big E last week and spent $20 on a 10 piece set from the "Knife Guy"... freakin awesome! Been making up excuses for things to cut up ever since!! More $$ is not always better.:confused:

Tend to agree I had a set of Henckels I lost to wife #1 went and bought a cheap set of Chicago cutlery that are great. I think I got em at job lot or something. They work great.

Jenn
09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
I respectfully disagree. Sure there are some "cheap" sets worth what you paid but in the long run there is nothing like a quality set. Have had a set of Henkels for 14 years and pretty much every knife gets used at least every day or every other. My husband starting complaining about them. A couple months ago he bought a decent sharpening stone and went to work (this was the only serious sharpening they have had in 14 years other than "touching up" with the steel I woud do). He now agrees we dont need a new set :)

Be careful out there though. Last year I went to buy my mother a decent knife or 2 (we wont discuss what she WAS using :smash: ) and found that Henkels for example now offers a cheaper version. I was amazed at the great price but quickly realized it wasn't the forged version. That explained the $$ difference.

While we are of the knife subject I also was shopping for an xmas gift last year for a teen. He wanted his first hunting type knife. When looking into the different brands there was a huge difference in prices. Get looking closer and you will find all different levels of the product by the same maker. Buck knives for instance had some made in china, usa or wherever. Prices and I assume quality where reflective of this so read labels carefully.

massbassman
09-30-2013, 07:52 AM
I wholeheartedly agree Jenn, that you get what you pay for. My set of Calphalons, while not the best money can buy, are sufficient for the average Joe, and will last me a lifetime. The problem that a lot of people have, and is the reason they look for an easy out, is keeping those knives sharp enough to please them through their daily activities. That's the reason I love those new knives, although they are cheap, they are incredibly sharp, and with an application for every situation, are very versatile in the kitchen. So unless you are a professional Chef, or an avid cook, they really work quite well. And, if they start to dull up or break,, you can go to a website and they will replace them. Or you buy another set next year.

Hunting knives are a completely different story, so much garbage out there. You really have to spend some coin to get anything decent anymore. A lot of knives are built well, but come up short in the steel they use in their blades IMO. Some of the Navy Seal type knives are decent.

Fly Rod
09-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Chicago cutlery for 40 years...use everyday... hand wash..dishwasher wash never rust...can shave with em...so sharp when ya cut yourself ya only know it when ya see blood....:)

Jackbass
09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Chicago cutlery for 40 years...use everyday... hand wash..dishwasher wash never rust...can shave with em...so sharp when ya cut yourself ya only know it when ya see blood....:)

See told you!!!! Pbbbbffffttt lol

spence
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Chicago Cutlery can last pretty long if you take care of it, though the handles aren't great.

A lot of inexpensive knives can be made quite sharp. Even the basic white handled Dexter-Russell fillet knives work fine, you just have to take care of the edge. Stainless knives really shouldn't rust if they're made with decent steel.

A big advantage of nice knives isn't just the ability to get a great edge it's the overall performance. Much more comfortable in the hand especially when you're using them for a long time. If your knife skills suck you may not know the difference.

You're also more likely to take care of good cutlery. Don't cut on porcelain surfaces, keep them out of the dishwasher and never let them sit wet. Don't sharpen more than necessary and hit them with a steel before you use them.

And they look cool.

-spence

Saltheart
09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
I have the Tridents and always happy I got the top of the line.

spence
09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Hunting knives are a completely different story, so much garbage out there. You really have to spend some coin to get anything decent anymore. A lot of knives are built well, but come up short in the steel they use in their blades IMO. Some of the Navy Seal type knives are decent.
Too much variety and most of them are ugly as heck. So many are made in China...meant to be a throw away, something you lose in the back of your truck wallowing in a wet sheath.

There's a lot of variation with even well known brands. I've got some Boker Plus knives with 440C or AUS-8 steel. Both pretty good but nothing super fancy. I think all the SOG stuff is AUS-8 and at least made in the US or Japan.

I've got a SOG Spec Elite that's not even a year old which is showing a bit of corrosion on the blade and it's hardly ever been used. Sure is fun to open and close though.

-spence

massbassman
09-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Some of us poor bahstads thought knives from the Big E was top of the line!:devil2:

massbassman
09-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Too much variety and most of them are ugly as heck. So many are made in China...meant to be a throw away, something you lose in the back of your truck wallowing in a wet sheath.

There's a lot of variation with even well known brands. I've got some Boker Plus knives with 440C or AUS-8 steel. Both pretty good but nothing super fancy. I think all the SOG stuff is AUS-8 and at least made in the US or Japan.

I've got a SOG Spec Elite that's not even a year old which is showing a bit of corrosion on the blade and it's hardly ever been used. Sure is fun to open and close though.

-spence

I agree spence, the knives of today, don't seem to withstand time like they used to, especially the blades. Ive always tried to keep a thin layer of oil on my blades if they are going to be in any kind of adverse conditions. Its not a solution by any means, but it does seem to help with corrosion. SOG makes a lot of cool looking knives, I especially like the Seal Pup Elite... super comfortable in the hand.

Nebe
09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a $12 Dexter Russell that will out cut just about every boutique knife out there. Easy to sharpen. Just put it away dry.

Fly Rod
10-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Chicago Cutlery can last pretty long if you take care of it, though the handles aren't great.

A lot of inexpensive knives can be made quite sharp. Even the basic white handled Dexter-Russell fillet knives work fine, you just have to take care of the edge. Stainless knives really shouldn't rust if they're made with decent steel.

A big advantage of nice knives isn't just the ability to get a great edge it's the overall performance. Much more comfortable in the hand especially when you're using them for a long time. If your knife skills suck you may not know the difference.

You're also more likely to take care of good cutlery. Don't cut on porcelain surfaces, keep them out of the dishwasher and never let them sit wet. Don't sharpen more than necessary and hit them with a steel before you use them.

And they look cool.

-spence

UUUUU RRRR all wet!!!.... U R not on the political page...:)chicago with wood handles ....very sharp and know how to use them

spence
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
UUUUU RRRR all wet!!!.... U R not on the political page...:)chicago with wood handles ....very sharp and know how to use them

My parents have likely the exact same ones. They're not bad, but compared to a lot of other knives I think the handles are pretty cheap and the lack of a bolster make for some uncomfortable prep work.

If you're happy then have at it. Don't go changing for me :jump1:

-spence

Saltheart
10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I bought my Tridents a couple of decades ago and at the time 80% of the worlds professional chefs used them with the other 20% spread out amongst all the other available brands. There are now some brands that are gaining popularity but Tridents are still the most widely used amongst professional chefs. For something that will last you the rest of your life , who cares if they cost extra?

Big thing for health reasons are now molded plastic or metal handles. Wooden handles , especially with the rivets can harbor bacteria.

spence
10-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I've got some wooden handled knives, they're both ironwood and kept oiled.

Big problem is when people put them in the dishwasher, it's not good for the steel and it's terrible for the wood.

I'm not sure what the most popular professional knives are. Likely something like Forschner that are relatively inexpensive and can take the abuse of a real kitchen. Pro's tend to like knives that are light and won't get stolen :hihi:

-spence

Jenn
10-05-2013, 01:22 PM

There is nothing quite like a nice clean cut! :yak5:

spence
10-05-2013, 01:24 PM
There is nothing quite like a nice clean cut! :yak5:

Is that yours?

Jenn
10-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Is that yours?

Yeah...did it back in august or so. Right after my husband first got his sharpening stone all over them...right clean through the nail and all. My clutzy fault though. I was in a hurry and for no good reason to boot. I prided myself on 10 years in the restaurant biz without incident and 10 years after I do it on a bunch of kale at home :smash:

Saltheart
10-05-2013, 02:26 PM
You never know when you'll get bit. When someone uses a sharpening stone on any knife you need to be really careful. I have seen some people who with an oiled fine stone can put on an edge every bit as sharp as a new razor blade.

massbassman
10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Problem with those cuts is although they dont hurt much when it happens due to a sharp blade, they're tender till some skin grows back!! Have had couple of those before.

nightfighter
05-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Just ordered a Wustof fillet knife off the weekend sale on Macy's site for a $40 savings.

spence
05-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Just ordered a Wustof fillet knife off the weekend sale on Macy's site for a $40 savings.
I've got a Wustof hunting knife and while it doesn't look cool the quality is pretty good.

Here are some random cooking knives...

-spence

zacs
05-05-2014, 10:15 AM
I've gotten some INSANE deas from the Cutlery and More clearance page.

here's the link (no affiliation, just good deals)

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/kitchen-knives-cutlery-clearance

Nebe
05-05-2014, 02:43 PM
My prized kitchen knife is a beat up dexter russel filet knife. I can sharpen that blade to a razor. Cost $12 :)

Raven
05-05-2014, 05:58 PM
stuck my hand into an electric hedge trimmer once

stupidess thang ever .....and then to top it off....

all we had at the time was a freakin MO-bat Moped
and we are puttin down the road to get some stitches
with me pointing my left hand straight up with a
bloody rag on it riding double no less
as if we were gonna be makin a left hand turn :hs: