View Full Version : Vega Carbide Cutter

Eric Roach
09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I bought the Penn State Industries carbide cutter kit for my Vega duplicator a couple years ago. The cutter has been awesome, but both sides of the head are now played-out. I know they are designed to be replaced, but can they be sharpened? Just trying to avoid spending $30 for a new head.

Thanks for any advice/comments on the feasibility of sharpening the head.

Eric

nightfighter
09-30-2013, 12:15 PM
My advice is to contact ProfessorM for his advice.

Charleston
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Eric;
Those inserts are about 10 bux each. Contact Professor M. He has it all figured out.

iamskippy
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
My advice is to contact ProfessorM for his advice.

The Advice that Nightfighter gave about ProfessorM's advice is the best advice and my advice as well.

Linesider82
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM
The Advice that Nightfighter gave about ProfessorM's advice is the best advice and my advice as well.

Eric, this sounds like good advice

ProfessorM
09-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Good gravy people looking to me for advise. What has the world come too?

I have what you need, inserts. Too bad you didn't ask here first before you bought the whole set up as I make the whole set up and could have saved you at least 30 bucks probably but what is done is done so I have replacement inserts. I'll PM you the info.

Lets look at sharpening the inserts. They are carbide and they can be sharpened but you need a diamond grinding wheel. Now if you do have a wheel and try to sharpen it you won't get the results you want. The inserts are made to really be used once until dull. These inserts have a chip breaker on them and once you basically change the edge of the insert by grinding it you kind of ruin the geometry of the inserts and it won't preform the way you want. It will cut but not very good. I have done it a few times but not worth it IMO. So that is the poop on sharpening them.

numbskull
09-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Good gravy people looking to me for advise. What has the world come too?.............. So that is the poop on sharpening them.

See? When the world needs advice on poop they know who to ask.

ProfessorM
09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Ha Ha. Go back to slinging obscure verbs around.

Eric Roach
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Thank you all - especially Paul.

I tried to sharpen it and got a decent edge on one side, but not the other. I'm just going to toss it and get a new insert.

Charleston
10-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Thank you all - especially Paul.

I tried to sharpen it and got a decent edge on one side, but not the other. I'm just going to toss it and get a new insert.

You are a hard man to convince. :smash: :biglaugh: Good luck with the new one. Be careful you don't strip the retaining screw.