View Full Version : Smoking Pork Bellie

Fly Rod
10-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Smoked a pork bellie today....could not keep the temperture where I wanted so had to keep an eye on it to adjust lid....was finihed in 3 hrs....my grand daughter and I cooked a few she is a bacon freak...it met with her approval....could not taste any heavy salt of which was a good thing

1st pic: trimmed the fat cap leaving a little.
2nd: shows after 5 days of brining
3rd is out of smoker and in refrigerator for a couple of hours before cutting

Fly Rod
10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Cuting the bacon a 1/16th - less then an 1/8th with my Chicago wooden handled knife...got about 4lbs. out of a 13 1/2 lb. bellie ...also got a nice 16 bone rib that we barbacued yesterday

WESTPORTMAFIA
10-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Very Cool! There is a Portuguese store in Fall River that frys up pieces about 4x4 inches and thick. So frigging good but after eating a piece you start talking in slow motion.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Cuting the bacon a 1/16th - less then an 1/8th with my Chicago wooden handled knife...got about 4lbs. out of a 13 1/2 lb. bellie ...also got a nice 16 bone rib that we barbacued yesterday
You're doing it all wrong :smash: :rotf2:

-spence

Fly Rod
10-02-2013, 07:11 PM
LOL

massbassman
10-02-2013, 08:02 PM
If that's doing it wrong, I don't know if I could handle right!!:drool:

jonserfish
10-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Very Cool! There is a Portuguese store in Fall River that frys up pieces about 4x4 inches and thick. So frigging good but after eating a piece you start talking in slow motion.
Everything they fry is BOMB

Fly Rod
10-03-2013, 09:09 AM
one mistake made so I think....added pure maple syrup to the rub as directed...next time will inject into the porkbellie....could not taste it.

FishermanTim
10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
You have got to love anything that good!

I just started brining some meats before cooking, and what a difference even a little time in the salt water can make!

Started with ckicken strips/tenders.
brine consisted of 1 gallon water, 1/3 cup sea salt, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup honey. chill for a couple of hours at least.
I fried them in canola oil after coating them in a "breading" made from cracker, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tbls of hot chili powder and 1 tbls of crushed pepper flakes. Put these all in a food processor and grind to a fine consistancy. Dredge chicken in breading and drop (carefully) into hot oil.
They will cook to golden brown in less than 2 minutes, depending on what you consider "golden brown".

After having my tenders, I can't see buying store pre-cooked versions ever again!

Now I have to try it with striper fillets!!!

Fly Rod
10-03-2013, 02:58 PM
buy chuck steak for hamburger when on sale and either have the store grind it for U or grind at home....more then likely U will never go back to buy pre ground hamburger

spence
10-03-2013, 03:11 PM
buy chuck steak for hamburger when on sale and either have the store grind it for U or grind at home....more then likely U will never go back to buy pre ground hamburger

I wouldn't ever buy hamburger that wasnt ground fresh that day and even then it can get an off smell.

Problem is many shops can't grind small volumes easily. I've got a home grinder that's nice but something else to clean up.

It works great for things like chili where you may want a more coarse grind with some real texture.

Fly Rod
10-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Ground hambuger ground that day in super market has all kinds of different trimmings...Market Basket will grind a 2lb. chuck steak or roast...we have kitchenaide grinder with attachments....done in an hour from start to finish with grinding 3-4 lbs.

UUUUUU can keep that daily ground hamburger that is on the shelf...:)

spence
10-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, I've got the KitchenAid unit as well. Works great for small batches.

-spence

spence
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Yes, same knives as my parents. They will get sharp but don't seem to hold an edge well...reminds me I need to bring some gear and sharpen all their over X-Mas.

Are you cutting on a GLASS board?

-spence

Fly Rod
10-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Yes, same knives as my parents. They will get sharp but don't seem to hold an edge well...reminds me I need to bring some gear and sharpen all their over X-Mas.

Are you cutting on a GLASS board?

-spence

All my cutting is done on hard acrylic cutting boards...no matter what quality of knife U use they need to be sharpened not 2-3 times a year...what I mean by sharpening is using a sharpener to keep that 20 degree edge then the steel which is basically to smooth the edge....when I go to a families house for holidays I bring my knives to cut the turkey or ham...I have skinned over a hundred deer and U need a sharp blade

I wil admit that some of todays Chicago knives R junk...to replace one my wife thought she was getting a bargin at one of them thrift shops...I threw it in the trash.

spence
10-04-2013, 07:10 AM
All my cutting is done on hard acrylic cutting boards...no matter what quality of knife U use they need to be sharpened not 2-3 times a year...what I mean by sharpening is using a sharpener to keep that 20 degree edge then the steel which is basically to smooth the edge....when I go to a families house for holidays I bring my knives to cut the turkey or ham...I have skinned over a hundred deer and U need a sharp blade
I'd place acrylic boards in the same category as glass, not as bad but not as easy on an edge as wood or poly. How you use the board obviously makes a big difference.

I don't think good knives usually need to be sharpened more than once a year in a home setting. The problem is that most people don't steel them so they get really dull and have to have the edge re-established. People also cut on hard surfaces, my wife is always cutting on a porcelain plate and can't understand why her knife is always so dull :fury:

For turkey or ham I bring out my 12" Wustof hollow ground slicing knife :uhuh:

Back in Iowa we were always stuffed with venison. Here I don't know enough people who hunt!

-spence

Fly Rod
10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Yes, I've got the KitchenAid unit as well. Works great for small batches.

-spence

10lbs. is not a small batch for house grinding....do not cut the meat in chunks avoid using that plastic push tool...cut meats in strips approx. 3/4 by 3/4 and feed into the grinder, much faster...U only need the push tool if grinding a second time when using smaller holes....I also buy fresh pork fat to grind into my hamburger or sausage...most times have to order the day before its cheap I pay about 2 bucks for 5 lbs....use the pork fat to make 20% fat burgers...can throw the rest away or freeze till ya make another batch.

spence
10-04-2013, 07:53 AM
10lbs. is not a small batch for house grinding....do not cut the meat in chunks avoid using that plastic push tool...cut meats in strips approx. 3/4 by 3/4 and feed into the grinder, much faster...U only need the push tool if grinding a second time when using smaller holes....I also buy fresh pork fat to grind into my hamburger or sausage...most times have to order the day before its cheap I pay about 2 bucks for 5 lbs....use the pork fat to make 20% fat burgers...can throw the rest away or freeze till ya make another batch.
Never said it was. I rarely do more than 2-4 pounds. It's great for really small stuff, perhaps 1/2 of pancetta when making bolognese.

Sometimes chilling helps also but agree on the strips, self feeding...

-spence