View Full Version : Jury duty....

nightfighter
10-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Made the call. Have to go.... Newburyport Superior tomorrow. Only upside is to get over to Plum Island and Surfland. Drop off a reel. Maybe fish. Just hoping to get dismissed early and not get impaneled. Being self employed I take a hit in the wallet no matter what.

Slipknot
10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
I feel your pain
hope they don't pick you Ross

GattaFish
10-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Just tell them you brought ketchup because "someone's gonna fry".

You should be out quick.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass
10-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Jury duty always comes up at the least opportune moments in life.
Two years ago I got called and had to waste a day in the middle of trying to complete a project that had to be done for Christmas. My jury call was on 12/16 I beleive.

Low and behold they have a case for us to be interviewed for.
I got out of it fairly easily though. The case involved a husband and wife who were having relations he apparently entered the back door. She charged him with rape.

I told them I couldn't be partial. Seemed like it should be something that should be taken care of at home.

spence
10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
I've only been called once here in RI. What amazed me is I get this call on my cell phone on a Thursday stating I had to show up the following Monday. I called the state to see if it was a prank...nope...that's how they do it in Newport County...

I had a flight already scheduled and paid for so they let me off. Don't have a problem serving but can I get a little notice?

Mike P
10-15-2013, 10:37 AM
In Massachusetts, you can get one extension, no questions asked. You just request it on the box on your jury summons, and they re-schedule you about 3 months down the road.

I'm due again, soon. I get to go to Barnstable. Lots of defendants there decide to go jury-waived, too.

Raven
10-15-2013, 03:43 PM
if your pre positioned as to the offender being guilty
because of a past BAD experience

speak up and say as much.

nightfighter
10-15-2013, 06:14 PM
It was a civil case. Personal injury. Motorcyclist hit by a vehicle driven by a European tourist. They impanelled all of us. I was #59. They had a jury by #37. Got dismissed at 11:30. Hour to drive up. Morning dragged on. There has to be some way to improve that system..... Had a splitting headache to boot. Dropped a reel off to Martha at Surfland and headed back home to get a couple hours work done. Good for another three years.

ProfessorM
10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Got on a trial in Brockton last year. 4 days long. Stabbing, drugs, guns. I found the process very interesting and enjoyed the whole trial. Learned a lot about the judicial system and how things are done. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Raider Ronnie
10-15-2013, 08:44 PM
I got to wonder if the process of choosing jurors is political ?
I would be willing to bet in Ma. (and other Moonbat Liberal states) Liberals get picked for jury duty more often than conservatives.

Redsoxticket
10-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Got on a trial in Brockton last year. 4 days long. Stabbing, drugs, guns. I found the process very interesting and enjoyed the whole trial. Learned a lot about the judicial system and how things are done. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I'm going to get even with you Flintstone!

Raven
10-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I Had a splitting headache to boot. .

Every since i Quit drinking Beer (a sad state of affairs i know)

i no longer get headaches... i miss my beer but not the headaches

and this could happen from just having >>>ONE<<<

just/mentioning it in case you had beer yesterday (s)

nightfighter
10-16-2013, 01:27 PM
It's been well over sixteen years since my last one, Craig.

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2013, 04:40 PM
In Massachusetts, you can get one extension, no questions asked. You just request it on the box on your jury summons, and they re-schedule you about 3 months down the road.

Actually, you can reschedule yourself now. They have a website you can log into and pick a day that is available and works with your schedule....pretty simple

Fishpart
10-16-2013, 05:11 PM
25% REAL unemployment, why does anyone who is working need to take time off for jury doodie?

Guppy
10-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Just finished 1 day a week on the Barnstable Grand jury for 90 days that was held over for two more meetings .
There are some really really really big scum bags out there!
And thank god there are some really really really devoted cops.

Yes PM, I'd do it again also in a heart beat.

Hang m high Gup

PaulS
10-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Hang m high Gup

hope there are no defense lawyers here:biglaugh:

Mike P
10-17-2013, 09:27 PM
hope there are no defense lawyers here:biglaugh:

:hidin:

My wife also sat on the Barnstable grand jury last year. Out of 30 cases or so, I think she voted once for a no-bill. It was a drug case where she felt that there wasn't enough probable cause to believe the guy possessed one bag of coke with the intent to distribute it. She voted to charge only simple possession.

No one cared that she was married to me. :rotf2:

JohnnySaxatilis
10-18-2013, 05:49 AM
I got to wonder if the process of choosing jurors is political ?
I would be willing to bet in Ma. (and other Moonbat Liberal states) Liberals get picked for jury duty more often than conservatives.

LOL what are you high?

Got the duty at the end of the month, Im just guna have jackbass call in a bomb threat so we can go fishin tho :hee:

Jackbass
10-18-2013, 07:02 AM
LOL what are you high?

Got the duty at the end of the month, Im just guna have jackbass call in a bomb threat so we can go fishin tho :hee:

Whoa whoa that kind of thing could get a guy in big trouble. Watch my luck it will happen we will be fishing. And I will have an anti terror task force up my butt.

Then I would pray you got federal jury duty lol

Mike P
10-18-2013, 07:58 AM
LOL what are you high?

Most of the jurors that I see in Bristol County are white, middle class homeowners from places like Dighton, Raynham, Rehoboth, Mansfield, etc. Comparatively few from New Beige, Faux Rivere, Taunton. ;)