View Full Version : BOA Lacing System

Eric Roach
10-20-2013, 02:06 PM
I tried some BOA-laced boots for the first time this year. Within maybe a dozen trips the cable on one boot parted, and the one on the other boot is severely frayed. The damaged areas aren't near the top where they are coiled in the "BOA device", but near the bottom. I'm assuming they are breaking where they curve around a "grommet" when under tension.

The boots are LL Bean River Treads. I got the BOA version after I returned a pair with traditional lacing to LL Bean because the grommets were rotting off and breaking (within one season.)

I know I can return these to LL Bean -- and I will -- but I'm wondering if I should look again at boots with a BOA system. Did I get a bad set with inferior cables or have others experienced breakage like this?

Thanks for the feedback,

Eric

spence
10-20-2013, 02:16 PM
BOA laces are pretty strong. You sure there's not something sharp that's causing the problem?

Never had them with wading boots (cycling shoes yes) but I'd be concerned the dial would get all gummed up in the muck and saltwater.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tysdad115
10-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I had the same pair, wore them at canal with no problem but in the surf that boa system is dangerous. They fill with sand and make it impossible to get your boots off in a hurry if you need to. I called LL Bean, explained these were dangerous and they sent me the same pair but with laces. Be careful if you wear the boa in the surf.

WESTPORTMAFIA
10-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I have worn mine in the sand with no issues and only had to open them up 2 times this season to spray the sand out. They are korkers metalheads. The boa is mint. Unfortunately the rest of both of the boots opened up at the seems and now look like hobo boots.

tysdad115
10-20-2013, 05:01 PM
The Beans I had filled with sand from waves, a spot I fish picks up alot of sand and the Boa dial got packed to the point I had to pry it open with my pliers to get the boot off.

WESTPORTMAFIA
10-20-2013, 06:10 PM
The Beans I had filled with sand from waves, a spot I fish picks up alot of sand and the Boa dial got packed to the point I had to pry it open with my pliers to get the boot off.

That's not good. But good to know. I guess I'm not going with the beans. But were they clean before that? I'm gonna send my korkers back but don't expect anything to happen. I was thinking beans but now second guessing. I like the boa set up but won't buy the korkers again. I may just get a pair of lace up beans and have Erin tie them for me before I go fishing

fishbones
10-20-2013, 06:35 PM
That's not good. But good to know. I guess I'm not going with the beans. But were they clean before that? I'm gonna send my korkers back but don't expect anything to happen. I was thinking beans but now second guessing. I like the boa set up but won't buy the korkers again. I may just get a pair of lace up beans and have Erin tie them for me before I go fishing

Maybe you could take a pair to a seamstress and have them replace the laces with Velcro. You know how to use that, don't you?

I have lace up Beans that I got in May. They started falling apart before July 4th. I'll take em back at the end of the year and stick with laces. The quality isn't real good but the warranty makes it worth it.

bart
10-20-2013, 07:07 PM

This is what happened to me. Locked right up on a sandy beach. I like the boot itself, but hate the BOA system and don't trust it at all. Wish the those boots came with laces like before....

Eric Roach
10-20-2013, 10:05 PM
...You sure there's not something sharp that's causing the problem?
I thought the same, but nothing seems sharp. What I think might be happening is the the "grommets" (don't know what else to call them) might be choking with sand and fraying the cable(?)

...They fill with sand and make it impossible to get your boots off in a hurry if you need to...
This is true, but I wear knee-high neoprene socks which I fold over the top of the boots, which does a great job keeping a lot of the sand out.

JohnR
10-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Interesting system - would be more interesting surf friendly.

Maybe you could take a pair to a seamstress and have them replace the laces with Velcro. You know how to use that, don't you?

:rotf2::rotf2:

spence
10-21-2013, 07:53 AM
BOA is pretty cool, but I don't think I'd want it on a surf boot. For cycling it provides a great and even tension on the shoe that's very comfortable. You can ratchet the entire thing down vs having to adjust multiple straps.

That being said, I still can't get one of the tension dials to release properly. Imagine being a mile+ walk into a rocky shore and having it blow up on you. At least with laces you have options. Sometimes less complexity is just better.

If you need a good local seamstress let me know.

-spence

tysdad115
10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
That being said, I still can't get one of the tension dials to release properly. Imagine being a mile+ walk into a rocky shore and having it blow up on you.
-spence

Or being on a rock and getting knocked off by surf , wearing waders. That was my big concern, if I had to get them off quickly they wouldn't come off.

scottw
10-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Or being on a rock and getting knocked off by surf , wearing waders. That was my big concern, if I had to get them off quickly they wouldn't come off.

and that's the problem, when they lock up, you can't get the boot off your foot..that makes the owner even more angry/frustrated and they beat them up pretty good trying to evacuate the boot ....I had a pretty good go around with the Korkers rep about their system and some returns of failed boots, I think that if you purchase these you need to prepare to maintain them very well if you are wearing them into the surf, he was insistent on opening the knob and shaking the boot to get water through to clear out any sand when leaving the water and then hosing them off well afterward, not likely to happen if I owned a pair.....these are generally available on boots at the upper end of the price scale and for the returns that I saw the sentiment was that a boot that cost so much shouldn't have those issues but the fact is that they do, Korkers has a new line coming where they've improved the seal on these systems but it's a tough environment and those "laces" are specific to each boot in length so not always readily available, they began offering a repair kit shortly after introduction which is a good indication...I've also seen the cable fraying that Eric mentioned but have no idea what causes it..probably better for a ski boot than a surf fishing boot, but if you take great care of them they are convenient.....still love my RockTrax...simple...always reliable