View Full Version : Newport area is on fire!!

Duke41
10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I have been out on the boat a few times the last few weeks and the fishing has been off the hook. Schools of blitzing stripers on the surface, birds everywhere. It has been fantastic. Also lots of good size (legal) sea bass as well. The best fishing I have ever had.

The bass are not that big ...schoolies mixed with 8-10 pounders but you know what that is ok. Threw them all back. No one out there just one other boat a charter of course he kept putting his boat between us and the fish. #^&#^&#^&#^&. However he left after a while and it was fish on. Go get em.

bobber
10-25-2013, 12:16 PM
thanks for the intell... I guess

but don't expect to have them to yerself ever again

jonserfish
10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
NICE POST.

piemma
10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Just wondering, since you have been here for 11 years, why would you put up post like that????

Not judging you, just wondering.

Duke41
10-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Maybe that's why this site is dying. Lets talk about anything except fishing. Let me guess 100 googans are going to jump on the #^&#^&#^&#^&ty boats and be all over these spots across the bay. They would never notice birds working or fishing pooling on the surface because they are that stupid. I did not name any specific spots though I could, they fish are def hanging out in certain areas. You have to give a little to get a little.

PRBuzz
10-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe that's why this site is dying. Lets talk about anything except fishing. Let me guess 100 googans are going to jump on the #^&#^&#^&#^&ty boats and be all over these spots across the bay. They would never notice birds working or fishing pooling on the surface because they are that stupid. I did not name any specific spots though I could, they fish are def hanging out in certain areas. You have to give a little to get a little.

here, here! :cheers2:

zacs
10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
here, here! :cheers2:

i doubt you would be cheer'sing if you fished that area....:fury:

Duke41
10-25-2013, 01:36 PM
So you fish that area? Narragansett Bay?

Sea Dangles
10-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Same thing in Westport,awesome fishing! Only difference is it has been that way for 6 to 8 weeks. Mostly small stuff,nothing to get too excited about guys. I think your honey hole is safe given the fact half the boats are out of the water and there is a small craft advisory out front. Come Monday people can decide whether they want to take a day and chase a 5 day old report,burn a vacation day and freeze. All to catch a little fish. Not like the guy said Breton Reef,Newport Harbor,the bridges, or even the beaches. Twisted panties have always been a sight issue that only gets exacerbated with the typical OVERreaction. News bulletin!!!tog fishing is great on the reef too;good luck finding a rock to anchor on.

Nebe
10-25-2013, 02:07 PM
he didnt say exactly where in newport.

Clammer
10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
ARHHHHHHHHH ALL [my} SPOTS ARE GONE >>>NOW :jump1:

Duke41
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Clammer your not allowed South of the Bridge. lol

JFigliuolo
10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Now that the ladies are no longer flocking the beaches clammer IS allowed under the bridge w/o violating the terms of his parole... or so I heard

Saltheart
10-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't think saying there are fish busting in RI waters anywhere is a big sin spot burn. If someone doesn't even know that is happening now then they probably couldn't catch one in the their bathtub with a net!

Sounds to me like just an enthusiastic fisherman's post after having some fun.

Relax , be happy , go catch a fish! :)

PRBuzz
10-25-2013, 04:24 PM
When I go out fishing I even turn on a AIS tracking device and post on FB that I am out to let people know where I am. When I post go to marinetraffic.com and search BeeReel. It has actually paid off more than once of people letting me know where the fish actually are (right Daphne) plus letting people know where they aren't, usually my location! :rotf2:

I can only fish an area limited times and why shouldn't others know when a bite is happening?

zacs
10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
So you fish that area? Narragansett Bay?

not me, I stick to the wood river.

Like dangles said, with the weather, it is non-issue. i just have a different philosophy about spouting what & where I have been catching.

I think a website like this can still be great talking about tactics, gear, off season fish stories, contests, get togethers, etc...

additionally, I found your comment about "why this site is dying" as a underhanded insult to the site and it's frequent participants, which got me a little riled up...

Cool Beans
10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
:rumble::rumble::rumble::rumble::rumble:

http://i.imgur.com/YmzOckJ.png

l.i.fish.in.vt
10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
let me get this straight,Newport is on fire,block is on fire,fish still up on the cape,and nh,there fish from moriches to amost the rockaways,but beach fishing sucks what gives?

Slipknot
10-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Ummmm seals John?

Or maybe no one fishing there
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
10-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Punked.

piemma
10-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Hey everyone, CALM Down. I didn't accuse Duke of anything. I just wondered why he put up the post. I know if my boat was it the water, I wouldn't say where I was getting fish. Maybe that's just "old school".

bassballer
10-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Your describing the fishing of the last 2 months. Those schoolies have been blitzing for 8 weeks. Bones moved out 3 weeks ago. Although the togging has been great. No reason to circle the wagons over 5 lb fish.

Clammer
10-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Paulie /u wouldn,t tell cuz you wouldn,t remember :love:

basswipe
10-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Not much has changed here.A regular posts a totally generic comment about fishing and someone gets all over him.

The Newport area water wise is a big place.Someone else here needs to calm down.

piemma
10-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Paulie /u wouldn,t tell cuz you wouldn,t remember :love:

Mikey, probably true:)

Gobi
10-26-2013, 02:17 PM
let me get this straight,Newport is on fire,block is on fire,fish still up on the cape,and nh,there fish from moriches to amost the rockaways,but beach fishing sucks what gives?

Pretty much sums it up. Have travelled N and S of me today and squat. Really sucks from shore, but maybe it's just me;)

flyvice11787
10-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Everything is staying off the beach for the most part :smash:. Although some were close enough to reach this morning on a beach west of Montauk :tooth:.

goosefish
10-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Went freediving this morning around the mouth of Narragansett Bay. Saw a lot of big blackfish, more than a few inside of 20 feet. Saw a big pile of schoolie bass with a few small keepers in the mix. I also saw my biggest bass of the season, a true cow, swimming solo over a rock ledge. Pretty awesome.

bart
10-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Anyone fishing the area tonight deserved a good fish. CRANKIN' out of the SW.

bassballer
10-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Anyone fishing the area tonight deserved a good fish. CRANKIN' out of the SW.

You got that right

goosefish
10-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Blew up fast yesterday. One minute it was blowing 5 kts the next minute it was puffing up to 30 kts.

Cool Beans
10-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Yep, a friend and I were fishing from Pier 2 on the navy base for Tog and he almost got blown in the water a few times when the wind picked up and blew alot of sand and small gravel into our faces. He lost his footing and luckily ended up taking a hard "sit down" onto the cement edge of the pier and not in the water. all we caught were 2 tiny fish about 4 inches long.

We had a boat reserved from the base earlier in the day (before the wind picked up) and luckily we checked the weather report and decided against taking that lil 19 footer and 40 hp outboard into that gale. It could have been a bad day.

piemma
10-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Blew up fast yesterday. One minute it was blowing 5 kts the next minute it was puffing up to 30 kts.

We had a couple of gusts over 50MPH up here in the NW hills.

fcap60
10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
I give Duke credit about the update. True, there may be more people than usual, but at this time of the year, maybe not.

At the end of the day, he was only trying to share some good intel.
Besides, it doesn't appear he is talking about "cows" anyway.

Go have some fun

bassballer
10-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I took my dog out and about yesterday and saw a boat achored up off the sakonnet in that gale yesterday. More of a man than me.

Clammer
10-27-2013, 05:35 PM
more like a nit wit :smash:

iamskippy
10-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Ghost town today, Dirty and dead.....

Sea Flat
10-28-2013, 07:37 AM
My .02, in no way was Duke41's post specific enough to be considered a spot burn. It was a vague general area that I think some people on here would appreciate just as a starting point or reference as to where they may find fish the next time they go out.

Clammer
10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
TX Duke ya put me right on them ><><><>:grins:

Back Beach
10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
The only things splashing off Newport today were the 6 pro v-s I hit into the water off the 4th tee at NCC. :doh:

hq2
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
I think the overall question of spot burning needs to be addressed. It
might help if the moderators (you guys reading this?) would post some kind of general guidelines for posting reports. I think in general it would work if we could separate spots into "public" and "private".
Certain areas are very well known, and it isn't really news if people say there are fish there; it's public information, usually on the fishing reports anyway. My list would include, from north to south:

Merrimack River Mouth
Southern End of Plum Island
Boston Harbor, including Deer Island Rip and Faun Bar
North and South Rivers
Duxbury
The Canal
Westport
Mouth of Naragansett Bay

Before everyone instantly says "that includes just about everything!" I would like to point out that each of those areas is actually quite large, and specific site info (like, where in Duxbury Bay?) would not be posted, just general locations.

On the private side are large numbers of great locations, rocks, rips, wrecks, etc. which are not well known and which would clearly be compromised if discussed publicly. I personally have a couple of spots no way I'm posting about, and I don't want anyone else posting about them either. Does this make any sense to people?

Duke41
10-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Had some fun and I was happy for once. I would never give up a spot . Btw the #^&#^&#^&#^&ing bay is not a spot. A wreck off a certain bay island. Is a spot. Don't get pissy because someone fished your one tiny spot that's good on one day at one time with one tide. Go out and look around there are 100's os spots in the bay

bloocrab
10-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Over 1,500 views, I would bet cash/money at least 50 people were either walking or driving the edges of Newport this past weekend because of this thread.

Is that good or bad? For who, and Why?

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but there's much more ocean water than shoreline. The eye of the beholder can be night and day.
Just sayin'

Carry on Duke - :fishin:

I'd a been down there but my hair and nail appointment conflicted with the tides.

piemma
10-29-2013, 01:46 AM
OK, so over 1500 views. So much for the site dying. Just goes to prove, you stir a little poop and people come to look. This thread has been great and I'm really glad I could contribute some humor to the site with my very innocuous post.

Jenn
10-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Ahh the age old gripe about "spot burning"! Always such fun. I dont think this is a spot burn by any means. Not like it was defined as a specific place in detail. Its kind of like saying the foliage is at its peak in Vermont. You can drive for hours and some places it will be great and some not so much, but it's prime time to go out there and find the perfect view for yourself! And I think that was the intent when this was posted.

By the way I heard the fishing was going to be Hot south of there in a couple weeks. Pack you bags! :)

basswipe
10-29-2013, 04:51 PM
1500 views mostly by guests.You don't have to be a member to lurk and read.

Bloo as far as 50 people being down there this time of year because of this thread.....I don't think so.Those folks are there because its "that time of the year."I've lived and worked here way too long to not have noticed how things are out front this time of year.

People its the the finale of the Fall Run.......ENJOY IT and stop complaining about spot burning.......It IS that time of year,you don't need the effing internet to know that!

Saltheart
10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
By the way I heard the fishing was going to be Hot south of there in a couple weeks. Pack you bags! :)

Could you be more specific about about what you mean by south of there. Street names for parking and directions with a map quest map would be helpful. :)

Jenn
10-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Could you be more specific about about what you mean by south of there. Street names for parking and directions with a map quest map would be helpful. :)

oh sure thing. Just follow route 1 south and turn left..

cow tamer
10-29-2013, 08:12 PM
People its the the finale of the Fall Run.......ENJOY IT and stop complaining about spot burning.......It IS that time of year,you don't need the effing internet to know that!

Up off the couch people. It's happening. :)

bloocrab
10-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Heard there were schools busting the top this morning....birds hanging tight too. The shore-fisherman watched for hours hoping they'd come closer...:( ...no luck, but they were there <in the distance>

Also heard the CWalk is officially closed. Fences up, signs posted. There goes 173 fishing spots.

bart
10-30-2013, 07:56 AM
We had hundreds of fish rolling at our feet yesterday when the sun came up. Wish I had taken a video. Birds going ballistic. Finally felt like Fall!

bassballer
10-30-2013, 02:01 PM
We had hundreds of fish rolling at our feet yesterday when the sun came up. Wish I had taken a video. Birds going ballistic. Finally felt like Fall!

Saw the same on our way out front this morning. Bass rolling for about 45 minutes. I just watched. Didnt even make a cast. My buddy was catching micros, but it always a great site to see. He was casting 6" away form the shoreline. Some surf guys wer enjoying the action.

Duke41
11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Was out in the boat today. Cold as heck no fish caught. Bottomed fished for togs nothing. Did mark a few though. He season ended for me at 1 pm I was near frozen gave it up and split for the dock. Boat comes out weds. That's all folks.