View Full Version : Sunday Morning Tools!

BigFish
10-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I think its time we get the ball rolling here for our Sunday morning over coffee chats about what we are building! So lets make this the thread....."Sunday Morning Tools".......I named it after all of us! So what are you or will you be working on over the winter season???:)

Swimmer
10-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Swimming plugs to finish what I started last winter and didn't complete until September. Simply, I am not going to do all the other chit this winter. Dannies are first up. Looking to tweak my fatty surfsters weight-wise a little, and as always improve my painting techniques
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sgt Striper
10-27-2013, 02:59 PM
"Sunday Morning Tools" I like it!

Sgt Striper
11-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Tool checking in......So who is in for a plug to auction for Peter's (VB) movie project? Also how do we do the auction ? Post them here on SB, a Facebook page? Have a few guys down here (not SB members) that will kick in a plug.

BigFish
11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
I will be in maybe next weekend. I have stuff going on right now...putting in a new bedroom door! Thats all this "tool" is doing right now! :)

Mojo7
11-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Work has been crazy the last couple of months working 6-7 days a week probably through the middle of December but when that's done I can't wait to get into the shop. This winters projects needles and darters.

BigFish
11-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I will try to post some pics Sunday am?:uhuh:

Slipknot
11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
I will be playing Sunday Morning Blues while working on my tools

BigFish
11-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Thats what I will be doing Slip!!:uhuh:

ProfessorM
11-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Going fishing. Still some good fish around. Not plug time yet

nightfighter
11-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Headed to the shop shortly. Messing with wood today, but not plugs.... My sister has asked me to make two sets of Giant Jenga....:smash::smash::smash: Going to be running a lot of 2x4s through the planer and chop saw. She has no idea how much material and weight she is going to be getting. I see the potential for damage when the towers fall if they plan on using inside..... Whatever...
I will be getting some bodies done for Christmas bottle openers in the next month. Plug making really begins after the holidays for me.

GattaFish
11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I have about 50 + needlefish bodies painted and ready for weight and wire. At some point I need to get to my shop and wire them all up this winter.

Nothing fancy but all proven designs and colors. I am looking forward to eventually making dust again.

Linesider82
11-10-2013, 10:06 AM
finishing up a 72" workbench made out of all scrap wood, except the uprights are slotted steel. I'm one scrap piece short of completed lower shelf, and waiting on steel pegboard delivery. Pic #1 glad I bought uprights that were longer, before cutting the front uprights I noticed some extra wiggle to the bench and had enough extra length to cut and stiffen up the wiggle. Plus the predrilled slots fit 5/8" slot bolts to lock it in. Still may buy one more to cross the front, but will see if there is any sway while the lathe turns. The 3rd pic I mounted a piece of aluminum from a closet demo. The Al. is the bottom track for sliding doors which will serve to hold pencils (writing pencils), and pens/markers. The rest of them I mounted to the wall (not picutred) on 1x3" furring strips to hang plugs and hold misc stuff

Swimmer
11-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Finished the weighting experimentation on my slopehead pikie. Weighs more than current versions available but I managed to get it so it has nice tight wiggles and dives sharply

This is my first order of bussiness, and then I am making needles, for chits and giggles

Sgt Striper
11-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Doing original A40 and A54 for auction to help Peter get those films converted (of piece of history that should not be lost!), also a Porky Pikie, a cross of a pikie and a cowboy to go deep. Finish a giant Musso lipless and do some darters for Skippy.

Linesider82
11-12-2013, 09:14 PM
prior post edited w/ pics, anyone ever seal over asbestos tile in place. please PM me with recs

iamskippy
11-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Im on the hunt for a Vega, prefer new or like new, if anyone come across anything please let me know.

ProfessorM
11-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I think I have come to the conclusion that fishing for this year has come to an end for me. This is the first time that I have not wet a line in 3 straight days since early May. It has not been unusual for me to fish for 20 or 30 straight mornings, days in a row this year. It is always bitter sweet to call it quits but with time I will enjoy the time away from it so that by April of next year I am chomping at the bit to get back at it. I am sure I am not alone with these feelings this time of year. I need to get things done before the snow comes too, only a matter of time.

So with that I started by making some lips this past week at work for some plugs I intend to make this year. Now I need to get my stuff put away and clean up the cellar so I can start to select some wood from the rack and get the materials ready for turning in the next few weeks.

linesidechaser
11-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I will be dusting off the old tools, and getting back in to building.

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-17-2013, 01:39 PM
with Sugarbush opening next week weather permitting,the only thing i will be turning are my skis.actually cleaning my shop today,getting another lathe from a freind so i need to make some room.

BigFish
11-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Clear coated my last batch of plugs until March! Time to work on some Christmas ornaments, clean the shop and start also working on turning some new stuff for next season! :uhuh:

Linesider82
11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Just took the corners off 1st piece of stock and the lathe motor burnt up... anyone have a 1/2hp jet mini lathe motor sitting around? the replacement motor looks to be 200 new, could it be something else, loose wire connection? capacitor maybe?

iamskippy
11-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Just took the corners off 1st piece of stock and the lathe motor burnt up... anyone have a 1/2hp jet mini lathe motor sitting around? the replacement motor looks to be 200 new, could it be something else, loose wire connection? capacitor maybe?
Check the brushes, the little screws on the side of yhe motor hsppen to me last yeat

Linesider82
11-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Skip what is the function of the brushes? I checked the switch terminals for sawdust/corrosion but they were clean. The motor tries to turn over but doesn't, I'm thinking of taking it in for fix/service might be the best thing to do.

pbadad
11-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Here some ornaments fashioned from a new plug creation.

BigFish
11-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Full tilt Christmas ornament production this week! I will post some pics this afternoon!:uhuh:

Swimmer
11-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Few more things to get done outside then down cellar full-time until spring. Turning and painting this winter. Not all painting has to do with plugs. I think my next big project will be a danny, fashioned along the classic lines from twenty or thirty years ago.

iamskippy
11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Skip what is the function of the brushes? I checked the switch terminals for sawdust/corrosion but they were clean. The motor tries to turn over but doesn't, I'm thinking of taking it in for fix/service might be the best thing to do.

Sorry bud just saw this. Check pm.

pbadad
11-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Matt the brushes send current to the armature. If they look worn down where there is a loss of tension and contact that may be your problem. Also cleaning the brush contact surface and regrooving the seperation lines on the commutator will be needed if brushes need replacing.

Sgt Striper
11-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Cold in the shop the last few days, some stuff in various stages. Need to fire up heater and get to work. Pikie/Cowboy hybrid in the lower left of photo, 8" and probably 4.5 oz. when done.

numbskull
11-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Pikie/Cowboy hybrid in the lower left of photo, 8" and probably 4.5 oz. when done.

Good time of the year to dream large. Neat looking plug. I think Pikies are on the agenda for me as well this year.

ProfessorM
12-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Cellar is now officially cleaned and stuff is put away, although after I loaded in 2 boats worth of tackle, rods, reels, life jackets, 15 hp motor, anchors, etc....... plus canal bike and all that tackle and rods, I don't have a hell of a lot of room left. Cozy is an understatement. I got way too much stuff. Good thing wife doesn't go down there as I got a no girls allowed sign on cellar door. It works, so far.
Today I start getting stock together for stuff I will make this winter. I use the bandsaw at work so I need to bring stock there to cut to length and rough out if need be.
In my cleaning I discovered that I have so many plugs already turned, but not finished, already that I really don't need to make anymore but I also discovered that I don't fish some of them anymore so I probably will never finish them and I now have other plugs that I made in years gone by and have used this year that I found to have merit, as George would say, and look forward to making a few more and fishing next season. So let the insanity begin.

Does it really look like I need more plugs??:smash:

JohnnySaxatilis
12-01-2013, 09:15 AM
good lord paul... makes me feel somewhat ok about myself :rotf2:

BigFish
12-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Wow Paul?? I think I would remove all the plugs and spill a can of gasoline down there! LOL!!:jump1:

ProfessorM
12-01-2013, 09:24 AM
That is an old picture. The benches are clean as a whistle and it is all organized now. The low hanging plugs keep the tall guys out of my shop.:uhuh: 5' 10" is the height limit. Hobbit shop.

Hookedagain
12-01-2013, 09:24 AM
You're right Paul.....way too many plugs. You're in luck though, today only I am taking donations! I'll take the row with all those sexy needles. Thanks.

Great collection and its a good thing you're not 6" tall.

Sea Dangles
12-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I have met Paul and he IS over 6" tall.

stripermaineiac
12-01-2013, 11:49 AM
LOL We are a sick bunch. Looks like my place LOL. Hard part is when tal people slip and end up with plugage as ear rings an such LOL. mike Toole is not someone to try to walk around a short guys plug room LOL

Hookedagain
12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I saw that when I posted it and figured I'd see who the first guy to catch it would be. Sea Dangles is the winner.

Mr. Sandman
12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
My workshop is a mess as well and I really need to spend a couple days just getting rid of crap and re-organizing what's left. But after looking at the Professor's photos...I am feeling a little better now...thanks.:) You have made effective use of available volume, not just area.

Swimmer
12-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I walked down cellar into the Professors cave and did not notice the hangings plugs at first. Then I glanced up and what an amzing thing to see, all those plugs, wow.

nightfighter
12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
My workshop is a mess as well and I really need to spend a couple days just getting rid of crap and re-organizing what's left. But after looking at the Professor's photos...I am feeling a little better now...thanks.:) You have made effective use of available volume, not just area.

Yep. Me too.... It is also my workshop for my livelihood, which makes it worse. Too many horizontal surfaces that are covered with tools and stuff...

Muskyslayer96
12-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Oh My Paul....What a beautiful site to see :uhuh:

Love all the plugs hanging...and I could comfortably fit under them!!

Hope all is well....Happy building

MS

ProfessorM
12-05-2013, 08:26 PM
All well here, likewise your way I hope. Enjoying those kiddies I would imagine. You getting plenty of winter up your way? Please keep it out there will you.

fishing bum wannabe
12-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Because am still suffering from withdrawal, and because I had a request from a Ditch Troll I turned some bottle poppers tonight to be weighted to 3 oz for the canal. The flourescent orange is a 2.3 oz from last winter that I painted up hoping to blunder into fish on squid in the canal. The new ones will be either blue backed mackeral (for the Ditch Troll) or white for me.

I won't post any pictures of my shop. Although well equipped it's a wreck. I got to visit Paul last winter and was stunned with how clean and organized his shop was.

Raven
12-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Okay PAUL
break out the CAMERA !
and do a clean shop photo op
to inspire others to be _______. :)
i know i could benefit

pbadad
12-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Just finish glueing in 50 glass eyes. Nice eyes ( the plug) Larry.

iamskippy
12-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Just finish glueing in 50 glass eyes. Nice eyes ( the plug) Larry.

Nice, i think 2014 building season for me is going to be all blind.

tysdad115
12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Paul, I showed Tyler the picture he asked when we're heading over your house!

ProfessorM
12-15-2013, 01:12 PM
He is welcome any time. Now you will have to stay outside your over the height limit. Sorry.
I started turning some plugs yesterday as I had some time to myself yesterday afternoon and may do some more today. Felt good to make some sawdust.

nightfighter
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Finally got underway. Planed, ripped, and cut AYC stock I got at Plugfest last year. Got 14 spook bodies turned and will get more done this week, as well as getting some drilled and sealed.

Mojo7
01-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Finally been back out in the shop. Thanks to George from Lefthook for putting me on to these sphere burs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzwKag3crs&feature=youtu.be

BigFish
01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
He no doubt warned you to be careful of your digits if it grabs?

Mojo7
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
He did but I also learned the hard way!:smash:

iamskippy
01-29-2014, 05:30 PM
I got.one from rudy, i just need to figure out how to.clean out the wood......

I also saw someone do that on a lathe was pretty interesting.

eskimo
01-29-2014, 05:32 PM
I got.one from rudy, i just need to figure out how to.clean out the wood......

I also saw someone do that on a lathe was pretty interesting.

tooth brush

BigFish
01-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Better than a tooth brush is a small wire brush about the size of a tooth brush you get in the heating supply aisle at Homies or Lowes! Its perfect and cleans them right out!

iamskippy
01-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Seems to be hard packed, almost thought about taking flame to it.

Swimmer
02-01-2014, 08:55 AM
I use a wire brush. Takes a bit of foing sometimes, but it works.