View Full Version : Got spooled by a dolphin while tog fishing

bassballer
10-31-2013, 08:59 AM
crazy scene the other day. We were togging out front and there was a pack of Dolphins feeding about 100yrds from the boat. Quite a cool site. after they were done freznying they started to move closer to the boat. Me and a buddy had two lines in. We started to tap the water around the boat and the pack turned and headed right at us. Approx 8 dolphin were right under the boat and breaking the surface when my rod doubled over and line started screaming off the spool. 250yds of 50#PP gone in 8 seconds. Not sure if he got wrapped in the line or what. Pretty wild 8-10 seconds.

FishermanTim
10-31-2013, 10:42 AM
The EPO would love to have seen that, particularly where they could claim that you intended to snag a dolphin by leaving you lines in the water as they approached (attracted as you describe in your own words).

Did the rig break off?
Is there a dolphin out there with a hook, weight and possibly braided line wrapped around its tail?

Sorry, but if I saw a school of dolphin chasing a pod of baitfish under my boat I wouldn't leave my lines down where the dolphins might get tangled in them.

Anyway, I hope you were successful with the togs!

Goose
10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Cool site, we seen'um in the bbay, more n more seals now dolphins what's next
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers
10-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Hot mermaids would really be a nice sight.

JFigliuolo
10-31-2013, 11:30 AM
would have sucked if busted.... But I'm pretty confident there was no ill intent, and if it happens again, Jay will clear the lines pronto!

FishermanTim
10-31-2013, 11:52 AM
I hope it wasn't taken as an accusation, but rather just an observation.
Sometimes things happen faster than you can react.

I know that generally when dolphins chase bait they aren't always alone and there is always a possibility of other fish joining the fray.

(that might be tuna at this time of year)

bassballer
10-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Look it happened pretty quick. I didnt exactly have a gameplan if the pod of dolphins were suddenly under the boat in 15 seconds. It kind of just happened. And i felt pretty bad aftewards.

Thanks Joe, next time ill have a game plan to get all the lines up.

fishbones
10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Dolphins are supposed to be really smart. They should be able to stay clear of any lines in the water.

Jackbass
10-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Smart with mayo on rye bread with a side of tuna lol. Cartman quote

thefishingfreak
10-31-2013, 03:42 PM
I fought one for over an hour once

WoodyCT
10-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Dolphins are supposed to be really smart. They should be able to stay clear of any lines in the water.

Wicked smaht!

Raven
11-01-2013, 04:37 AM
their Sonar apparently doesn't "SEE" fishing Line(s) on the return ping.
cool story....

bloocrab
11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
I hope it wasn't taken as an accusation, but rather just an observation.
Sometimes things happen faster than you can react.

I know that generally when dolphins chase bait they aren't always alone and there is always a possibility of other fish joining the fray.

(that might be tuna at this time of year)

It read like quite the accusation to me.....some of you "not worthy" people need to get over yourselves. Baller obviously wasn't targeting dolphins...:smash:, so one should pull lines if you see dolphins now???? WTF, you don't have to SEE dolphins for them to be around...so then what? Just keep your lines out of the water so you don't unintentionally hook something you're not supposed to hook???
Wow, this s hits getting ugly. Quality CONTINUES to drop...

When is the next nail=-polishing LEG? This is fishing folks, fish GET hurt, one way or the other........now excuse me while I finish releasing the 29lb tautog that accidentally bit my worm while I was scup fishing....please don't call the DEM on me

bloocrab
11-01-2013, 08:04 AM
and I ain't defending BB as he needs NONE.....I'm just making an observation. I'm sure I stand alone, but that's my norm anyway...good thing I DGAF

bassballer
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I'll tell you one thing. next time I wont be undergunned :heybaby:

RIROCKHOUND
11-01-2013, 08:30 AM
and I ain't defending BB as he needs NONE.....I'm just making an observation. I'm sure I stand alone, but that's my norm anyway...good thing I DGAF

Out on the edge we troll near them all the time, quite often with YFT swimming near them...

Zeal
11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Last week I had a Seal go after my needle fish at 5am, luckily it didn't take it but that messed my day up. So I can relate! Sorry to hear :(