View Full Version : largemouth bass fishing is a high school sport in NH!

Jim in CT
11-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Great article in On The Water this month. In New Hampshire, elected officials kicked around the idea of making largemouth bass fishing an official high school sport. They floated the idea around, got overwhelming interest, and made it happen. The teams have tournaments, and (no surprise) they get plenty of volunteer boat captains for the tournaments.

Kudos to those officials on a job well done. Great idea of thinking outside-the-box to introduce kids to an activity that for some, will be a lifelong pursuit. Good to see teenagers put down the electronics and get outside.

Too bad Connecticut can't get its act together on things like this.

What a great idea...

JohnnySaxatilis
11-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Its a great idea for sure, how cool would that be!? probly sets up a great base for your anglers to learn about conservation and respecting the sport as well. The collegiate bass fishing tours have taken off big time in recent years as well...

fishbones
11-01-2013, 07:50 AM
They probably get all the hot chicks, too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

trevier
11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
why didn't they have this when I was in high school. I was a bass fishing machine in those days,

goosefish
11-01-2013, 11:56 AM
They probably get all the hot chicks, too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ha.

I started a fishing club in high school, a prep school. It was a way to get out of afternoon sports. I think it was four of us. Very much a 420 friendly team. Not a girl on it. We monkeyed around in the woods trying to find virgin trout water but we always ended up fishing the same pond near town. One kid was actually a hell of a fly fisherman. The rest of us liked ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g spinners and worms.

Linesider82
11-01-2013, 01:03 PM
For one year only we had a fishing club at RHAM highschool in CT, it was based solely on the efforts of a student-teacher. He did his homework, attained permission for the club to fish private ponds, he tapped into the talents of the club where one of the students had come from Florida and taught us all how to throw a cast net, good stuff. Between the club members we had enough canoes or row boats to get everyone on the water. Good times.

Then I found Paul Smith's College in the ADKS which is probably one of the best outdoor recreation schools in the country. Best fishing in my life and the Adirondacks changed who I am today. Endless beauty and adventure.