View Full Version : Penn 6500ssv vs Conquer7000

fishing bum wannabe
11-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I have an opportunity to get either a Penn 6500ssv or a 7000 Conquer. Those are my only choices so suggesting something else is irrelevant. I have experience with the 6500ssv but know nothing about the Conquer. Anyone have experience with the Conquer or both to make a comparison.

Thanks

seadogg
11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
I actually bought the conquer 7000 for my dad this past winter and he likes it a lot. Very smooth, great drag, well built. The aesthetics, although less important, are great as well. That said, I purchased it to pair with a seven-foot custom boat rod I got him.

Although I've never used the new penn ssv reels, I've dealt with them quite a bit since I work at a marine retailer and sell them often. They're smooth and at first glance they seem ruggedly built. Also the drag and gear casing are watertight, granted you aren't turning the handle or giving drag to a fish while the reel is submerged. If you're looking to fish from shore at all, I'd have to recommend the penn ssv. If you're only fishing from boat, I'm sure you'll like the conquer.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device