View Full Version : Canal bass and shrimp

apito
11-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Gutting a couple of twenties in the past week each had large (six inch) green shrimp in their stomachs. Prior to that, eight or nine days ago, Ron Arra was seeing shrimp in the Canal. Please help identify. Thank you......apito

jonserfish
11-12-2013, 03:49 PM
MANTIS SHRIMP

Hookedagain
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
hurt like hell if it gets you. Like a .22 hitting your finger. They will break glass in captivity..

Clammer
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
they have developed a eatable market for them ..But I don,t know where . But that,s just a phone call away :)

goosefish
11-12-2013, 07:26 PM
I hear they have one of the fastest reflexes around.

And they are delicious. We used to catch them in the oyster dredges. I'd bring them home and cook em like shrimp.

I think a few get shipped live to New York where they enter the Asian market down there.

Finaddict
11-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Would make great bait if they weren't so ornery ... a friend of mine was wading down in Stuart, Florida and had one whack his ankle ... he went down and almost didn't get back to shore ... he was fishing alone that day, so no one was there to help him ...

zacs
11-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm surprised. the two times i've had them they tasted gross, and there was little to no meat in them. but that was in china, so who knows what they did to them.

I will have to revisit my standing on edibility of mantis shrimp...

I hear they have one of the fastest reflexes around.

And they are delicious. We used to catch them in the oyster dredges. I'd bring them home and cook em like shrimp.

I think a few get shipped live to New York where they enter the Asian market down there.

Fish On
11-15-2013, 07:44 PM
the proof is in the wiki pudding.....wow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp

MAKAI
11-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Had a few washing up from boat wakes at the canal on me 2 weeks ago.
Knew enough to keep my fingers out of the way of their super fast reflex.