View Full Version : Emails needed

BasicPatrick
11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks to all, I think we have made our point and it is time to end the email campaign and trust our representatives do the right thing.

After years of work by recreational, small boat commercial and environmental advocates, last Spring, the New England Fishery Management Council passed Am 5 to the Herring FMP. Am 5 requires 100% observer coverage, strict regulations on dumping of catch before that catch can be observed and other measures to "clean up" the mid water trawl and big boat dragger Atlantic Herring fleet.

Early this Fall the National Marine Fisheries Service disallowed Am 5 on some technical points and "we" went back to work. Our goal is obviously to correct Am 5 and get the 100% coverage and dumping regs corrected by the NEFMC and approval by NMFS.

During a battle of a council meeting in late September, correcting Am 5 was not really moving and after significant public comment from the big boat dragger fleet that has been watching the up and coming year class of juvenile haddock get hammered by the herring fleet, NEFMC member Tom Dempsey from the Cape Cod Fisherman's Alliance made the following motion:

Mr. Dempsey moved and Mr. T. Alexander seconded:
to request an Emergency Action to prohibit the use of mid water trawl gear in New England federal
waters by vessels with a herring A or B permit unless and until that component of the fishery is covered
with 100% at-sea monitoring and comprehensive dumping regulations, similar to existing Closed Area 1
dumping regulations, are implemented fishery-wide.

5a. Mr. T. Alexander moved and Mr. Blount seconded:
to table the previous motion until the November Council meeting.
The motion to table carried on a show of hands, with one recusal, Ms. Tooley (11/1/0/1).

Next Wednesday at the Marriott in Newport RI there is a one day NEFMC meeting and this motion will come to the table. The vote count is very close and this motion could not only pass but will clearly force the repair of Am 5 to be fast tracked, hopefully at this very meeting. The recreational community has two members voting at this meeting and recreational anglers need to let these members know how we want them to vote. T

The Massachusetts Striped Bass Assn. is asking all recreational anglers to send an email to earlybird.2943@verizon.net (Recreational council member Dave Preble) francesflt@aol.com (Recreational council member Frank Blount).

Sample language:

My name is _______________ and I am a recreational angler who is concerned about the effect of the mid water trawl herring fleet on recreational fishing. The current by-catch of both haddock and river herring is unacceptable, not to mention the many other species effected by this fishery. At the upcoming meeting in Newport RI, I urge you to pass a temporary prohibition on the use of mid water trawl gear in the herring fishery unless and until there is 100% observers on board, no matter who pays the bill, and unless and until there are strict regulations on the dumping of catch as is currently in place for ground fish closed area 1. I also urge you to fast track the repair of AM 5. Our recreational community has called for reform of this fishery for many years and I am asking you to step up, carry the conscience of the recreational community and vote for these reforms on Wednesday.

It would also be great to get some attendance at the meeting. The meeting is at the Newport Marriott Hotel right on the waterfront in Newport RI. Herring discussion starts at 10:15 am and is scheduled to be over by Noon.

Liv2Fish
11-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Done! Sent to both. I can't be there on Wednesday but please keep us posted on the outcome and Thank you for communicating this opportunity to help.

BatesBCheatin
11-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Took 2 minutes out of my life to send a couple emails. 3 minutes counting this.

tlapinski
11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
:uhuh:

fishsmith
11-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Sent, thanks for posting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm in. 👍

BEETLE
11-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Done.:btu:

fishgolf
11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Done!

stripermaineiac
11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Mine sent up here to Kelaher.just left him a message on his answer machine or phone.

Green Light
11-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Sorry I missed this. :-(

Next time drop me a line via PM or email.

I can help spread the word. ;-).

BULLOCKS
11-14-2013, 11:39 PM
:uhuh:

hardcore from shore
11-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Done. E-mails to both. The recreational angler has done their share, we need this type of regulation to help.

Bill

MakoMike
11-15-2013, 08:27 AM
The meeting is also being webcast if anyone wants to listen in.

pbadad
11-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Done. Thanks for updating us Patrick.

Liv2Fish
11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
The meeting is also being webcast if anyone wants to listen in.

I would love to hear how these thing go. Can you post a link?

FishermanTim
11-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Done

PRBuzz
11-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Done
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
11-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Done. Sent to both.

MakoMike
11-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I would love to hear how these thing go. Can you post a link?

To All Stakeholders and Interested Parties:

The public is invited to attend the November 20, 2013 New England Fishery Management Council meeting

beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Newport Marriott Hotel, 25 America’s Cup Boulevard, Newport, RI. For further

information about the location click http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pvdlw-newport-marriott/.

The webinar will be activated beginning at 8:00 a.m. and end at approximately 5:00 p.m. each day.

Webinar Registration: For online access to the meeting, please register by clicking on

https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/811173031. Once registered, you will receive

an email confirmation with the information you will need to join the webinar.

Charges for Listening: There are no charges for accessing the webinar via your computer.

If you would like to listen to the meeting on your telephone, please be aware

that regular phone charges will apply.

Dial in number: 1 (646) 307-1708

Access Code: 302-012-332

Meeting Materials: Please consult the Council’s website at www.nefmc.org. The meeting agenda as well as directions are attached.

Questions: If you have questions prior to the meeting feel free to call the Council office at (978-465-0492, ext. 106). During the meeting, please contact

Pat Fiorelli at 617.548.5786 or pfiorelli@nefmc.org.

Liv2Fish
11-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks. I'll be there in the cloud...

bobber
11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
done-

should we post this on the other site to get others involved??

Liv2Fish
11-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm surprised that there have only been 23 replies after 327 views.

bobber
11-15-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm surprised that there have only been 23 replies after 327 views.

why so surprised??- people love to bitch and moan.... its like a national past-time. getting off your @ss and doing something is wayy harder than doing nothing

stripermaineiac
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
LOL oh so very true. it's always easier to let the other guy draw the heat. LOL

BasicPatrick
11-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks to all, I think we have made our point and it is time to end the email campaign and trust our representatives do the right thing.

Liv2Fish
11-24-2013, 09:12 AM
So, what was the outcome? I wasn't able to listen in due to work s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g.

BasicPatrick
11-25-2013, 05:36 PM
The vote for an emergency action to ban mid water gear until 100 percent coverage never got a straight vote. After a bunch of motion gymnastics the ultimate goal of the nefmc starting a framework to repair the rejected Amendment 5 that will require 100 per cent observers and dumping regulations did pass with both recreational members voting for the regulation. Ill call it a 75 per cent win and as always more will be revealed as the framework action develops. Good job to all bringing the heat.

big jay
11-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I learned a few things from the meeting:

1. The captains and crews of the Industrial Trawlers LOVE having observers onboard (every one of them stated this repeatedly).

2. They are ALL in favor of 100% observer coverage.

3. This is the cleanest fishery in the ocean with little to no bycatch and they are looking forward to proving this.

4. The amount of Bullsh*t being spewed in the room nearly drown me.

*Patrick - I think it would be interesting if you could grab some of the comments made on the record by the industry guys. They will obviously fight every step of the way to keep the observers off the boats - I think it could be helpful to use their statements against them.