View Full Version : So much for no RI Saltwater License...

JohnR
06-21-2003, 08:27 AM
This just pisses me off :af: . There is an e-mail list I'm on and one this AM from Steve Medeiors at RISAA had noted today's Projo article on the state budget and how new fees has lines pertaining to a RI license fees for SALTWATER! So much for fighting the idoiacy last year.

I went to most of the license meetings last year and one of the greatest fears among anglers was if the revenue from the licenese would actually go to saltwater fishing instead of the general fund for use elsewhere (like paying 15 million flippin dollars to the greyhound owners at the track :af: ). Well, that commitee rejected that license and the legislature did not implement one. But it looks like a done deal now.

The complete article is here

PROVIDENCE -- The House Finance Committee late last night approved a new state budget that promises a minimum 1.75-percent school-aid increase, while dealing blows to Governor Carcieri's attempts to rein in state employee pension benefits and cut greyhound owners out of slot-machine revenues.

The $2.785-billion state-financed budget is $121 million higher than the spending plan enacted a year ago, and more than $17 million higher than that proposed by Carcieri in March. Including federal dollars, the spending plan for the year that begins the week after next totals $5.76 billion.

It includes a 39-cent hike in the cigarette tax, a 1-percentage-point hike in taxes on restaurant meals and drinks, a new license and fee for salt-water fishing, and many more fee hikes. A threatened hike in the hotel tax evaporated, but lawmakers approved a new 26-cent-per-month surcharge on telephone bills to finance technology in schools.

For the first time, salt-water anglers would have to have a fishing license, one of the night's bigger surprises. The licenses, which would be required as of July 1, would cost $18 for residents. The change would raise $2.2 million, but would take $600,000 to implement.

The full article is here: http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20030621_newbud21.5c7b5.html

KLMulder
06-21-2003, 08:35 AM
I think thet the State house would be a great place to drop off all our unused bait and fish racks. I think I will take my 4yr old son fishing for junk fish at FT Adams, bag them all up and leave them at my Reps office.:wall: :fishslap:

likwid
06-21-2003, 09:18 AM
I give till this time next year that MA will have a saltwater license too.... :mad: :af: :mad: :af:

I pay too goddamn much for my commercial licenses as it is...

Saltheart
06-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Pretty soon they will tax the air we breath!
I want to know why they have a right to tax fishing in an ocean they don't even own?

GBOUTDOORS
06-21-2003, 09:57 AM
I will NOT EVER buy a fishing license (salt) in any state unless they show that the money is to go ONLY to fishing improvments and not to the general fund. Also it can not have anything to do with commercial fishing either. Not that I have anything against com. fishing but let them deal with it not me and my $$$$. The Great Sen. Kennidy has try in the past to get his hands on the fish and game money but has been stopped each time this will just give him and ALL the others in Gov. a new place to try and Steal my money and my favorite pass time. I don,t know about the rest of you but this will make me mad as hell and I ani't going to take it any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Raven
06-21-2003, 10:16 AM
one for massachusetts ,rhode island, and one for the conneticut portions of the ocean...and we'll have to have GPS to tell us which water our fish just pulled us into? thats insane. NO WAY!!!:af:

Raven
06-21-2003, 10:19 AM
i think this is a million fisherman march issue.if there has to be a saltwater license then it covers the whole ocean not a state by state territory or its time to revolt and buck the system!!.

JohnR
06-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Man - Raven your avatars are starting to freak mne out :shocked:

I'm drafting a letter and I need some serious critiques and ideas please. I'm not much of a writer which is why I ask for your help - I'm also a little pissed and am not getting much fluid thinkin' happening here :af: :

Dear Sirs;

Subject: Recreational Saltwater Fishing License

I am very disturbed at the need to write this letter this morning. I have just finished reading an article in the June 21, 2003 Providence Journal “R.I. budget restores some aid to schools” here . While I am happy that funds have been restored for education, a vital need that is surely under funded, I am truly shocked that we have come full circle to a year ago or even worse.

Last year the legislature was investigating the need of a Saltwater Recreational Fishing License and more importantly the fees derived from this license. This was a part of a larger effort to overhaul the way Rhode Island manages its coastal marine resources. A working committee formed by both individuals from the RI DEM and from the recreational and charter boat sectors. The collection of people from many walks of life made an honest and open-minded effort to do what was in the best interests of the residents of Rhode Island and the coastal resources we are fortunate to have. This working group was able to review an incredible amount of information and bring forth a wide range of issues - both for and against the proposed license.

After numerous meetings this committee could not in good conscience support implementing a Recreational Saltwater Fishing License in Rhode Island. The reasons were numerous; from the incredible loss of tourism dollars and resulting impact on local businesses like the bait and tackle shops and to the hotels, B&Bs, motels, and restaurants. A significant number of families come to Rhode Island to vacation along our fantastic shores. Many of these vacationers would come to Rhode Island and would incorporate fishing and boating into their plans. These vacationers will likely skip Rhode Island and move on to Cape Cod or even Maine now. There is no reason a family will buy several non-resident fishing licenses during a week’s stay if it’s $35 per license or $8 per license. They will forgo fishing when they see these outrageous licensing “taxes” and skip our state the next time.

Another major concern with the proposed license was that there was no guarantee that the “taxes” amassed would go for the management of the coastal resources. I can’t emphasize enough how major an issue with residents of Rhode Island this was and how worse it will be now on this latest announcement.

I run a website for saltwater recreational anglers, primarily in the north east, www.Striped-Bass.com with over 1400 registered members – many are residents of Rhode Island. Our goals are to better ourselves as anglers, better our natural resources, and better the fish we are often fanatical about. A significant number of these anglers from other states, namely from New Jersey to Maine, come to Rhode Island several times per year to enjoy the fishing Rhode Island offers. They stay in hotels, eat meals at local restaurants, but bait and tackle, and occasionally bring back ceramic lighthouses and the like to their significant others. They also bring their families here for weeks at a time for vacation. They were strongly opposed to the license tax last year, stating they would go elsewhere if there were fees in Rhode Island to fish. They will be as opposed this year.

Other voluntary measures were proposed to raise revenue to support coastal resources in lieu of a Saltwater Recreational License Tax. These methods are a better way to support management of the coastal resources than a TAX placed on resident anglers of Rhode Island or those from other states that will simply skip the Ocean State on the way to Cape Cod and the Islands.

Please DO NOT IMPLEMENT A RECREATIONAL LICENSE TAX that takes money from the everyday Joe and Jane of Rhode Island when you can give $10-15 MILLION dollars to the Greyhound owners at the track. THAT is unjust!

likwid
06-21-2003, 10:24 AM
giant BFT carcasses on the state house steps anyone? :D

surf fishing IN R.I.
06-21-2003, 10:27 AM
I would not mind paying for a license as long as they show me were the fish are and if iam going to pay i should beabel to fish were i want in that state should have axess to all water all beaches should be free to all fishermen :rolleyes: and also keep all fish

DaveS
06-21-2003, 10:30 AM
I'd still fish Rhody but I aint gonna have no liscence. Let em walk out to the Naps and get me:happy: .

likwid
06-21-2003, 10:41 AM
great letter John...

I'd be glad to e-sign that, as I'm sure just about everyone else on this forum would be...

mrmacey
06-21-2003, 11:04 AM
nice letter and im behind you if you want to protest,
par 5 line 6 but to buy thats all i could see!

wendymichele
06-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I would be more than happy to add my signature to your letter. Due to a heavy work schedule, I don't manage to get out to fish often, but one of the appealing aspects of the sport is that when an opportunity does present its self you can just pick up and go. I am curious to know where you are intending to send the letter. A copy sent to the Pro-Jo editorials section might be an idea as well. It would appear our fine governor has decided to strip money from the few to protect the wallets of the people who can afford to shell out a little more. He is also planning to cut teacher benefits. That's another great idea. I'm not a teacher, but have spent some time in the Providence schools recently, updating there heating systems. I wouldn't do their jobs for any amount of money. I hadn't realized what a hard job that is until I saw first hand what they have to deal with. I think Mr. Carcieri needs to take a better look at where he is proposing to find these much needed funds. Perhapse if Rhode Islands unemployment wasn't over 5% they would be collecting more revenue in state income tax. Maybe he should be thinking more about bringing jobs to the state instead of getting more money out of the people who already pay one of the highest state income taxes in the country.
Just my $.02

Joe
06-21-2003, 10:00 PM
All this will do is raise the price just enough to stop a tourist from buying a fishing pole and bait and trying out fishing. This will kill the bait shops.

TIMTIM
06-22-2003, 12:45 AM
I would definitely be able to sign that letter for you. You guys are the greatest. I have learned so much from you guys and girls...

capesams
06-22-2003, 06:49 AM
don't get me wrong, but some time ago I said WE will have a sw lisc. it's comeing . and there won't be anything the public can do to stop it. that time is fast aproching. In mass as I type there is a big battle going on in the state house [mass] just to try and get someone back on the fisheries board that knows something about fishing and how to manage same, beleive me when I say right now there is no one there thats gives a hoot about fisherman[people]. taxes pay state bills is all they know. rec fisherman are .o1 percent of the whole which isn't much compaired the over all population. comm. fishermen have a better voice in goverment only because of all the lawers,doctors, corperations that give donations to the different parties. sorry to say rec's don't stand a chance, if it comes down to keeping the schools open the general public will vote yes on a saltwater lisc. cause most don't fish.

fishweewee
06-22-2003, 06:50 AM
I would have been sorta in favor of a saltwater license...if the money went to support recreational fishing and not the general fund.

:rolleyes:

macojoe
06-22-2003, 08:19 AM
I will sign!! But if no one gets a linces and just boycotts the hole deal what they gona do?? They can't arrest everyone!! I for one will not get a rec. linces!! I will be arrest many times buit I will not pay to fish in a free Ocean, no way, anit happening, not me!!!
Least march the state house!!!
No new Taxes?? Just raise fee's ,and implment new fees. Thanks Mass.
:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

SeaWolf
06-22-2003, 08:36 AM
we've been down this road before w/ the license. it was only about 2 years ago that all this first came up, an advisory board was formed to take both sides of view into consideration w/ risaa leading the campaign, and it was eventually voted down. we knew it would be back. i can't say i'm surprised it came up, but i am surprised it was pushed thru and passed so fast. i guess they knew what opposition they would have from the fisheries.

i would say that in any other state i would be favor of this license if it was used for what it's original intentions were - increased money for law enforement, better and new public boat ramps, increased study into state fisheries, etc. but, this is rhode island and somehow i'm sure it would get put into the general fund, thus not much if any money towards the true intentions of the bill. that's one of the main reasons it was originally shot down. this is unfortunate. i am curious to see how the ri charters captains, united rec committees, and risaa come back to fight.

Clammer
06-22-2003, 08:59 AM
In this morning paper the Governor bascially laughed at them ,saying its RI tridiation & what are you going to do?? go up & down the bay checking the fleet//////////////////////

Buzz-erd
06-22-2003, 08:59 AM
JohnR,
You're letter says it all.If we all hit'em with letters and emails and speak out at public meetings we might be heard.
Unfortunately most non fisherman think its a great idea.To them "its just a liscense,stop your crying!,Its for the kids,they'll have better schools."(Teachers need another pay hike..Or Strike!!!)
To tax one segment of the population to shore up another for its shortcomings is apalling to say the least.Its borderline communism in my book.
They'll have to pry my pole from cold dead hands before I submit!!!!!!

Fisherwoman
06-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Great letter JohnR, But I think we should include in these letters that all Congressional and State house employees should take a pay cut just like most of us have too and add that the the state deficit instead of taking more away from the American people, how many Representative's out there from any state no matter where have EVER< EVER< EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had to take a cut in pay, or get laid off, but everybody elses jobs are always in jeopardy. I think it is pathetic!!!!

But I do have to say that the recreational angler's need to start standing up for themselves and not sitting back waiting for somebody else to help solve the problems. The commercial guys take care of there own, but at the meetings you see very little rec anglers there. They just always asume it will never happen. Well guess what!!!! it just did!!!!!!! SO get on it and start flooding these places with phone calls and letters. If you want to have freedom you have to fight for it.

JohnR DO you have a spot here on the website for local sentators addresses and places were we can call and write letters??????

If so let us know, or where we can call or write. We can sit here and post back and forth but this well get us know where!!!!!!!!We need to let them know, not just each other!!!!!!!!!!!

bobber
06-22-2003, 10:32 AM
I've heard a few versions of what has gone on with this in the last 24hrs... including one that noted the final vote is in 2 weeks to put this into law. so NOW IS THE TIME to write your congressmen/women to let them know how you feel. (emails are nice, but have NOWHERE near the power of a written letter- better yet- make a phone call(!) ) I was very active a few years ago with NJ's bunker bill, and this can be done. Ellicit the help of RISAA (and the RFA, if ya can) to make this a broader effort throughout the state. I'm writing my letter as I speak- to go to the Governor and Editor of the ProJo. don't give up yet- this is not over yet....... good luck!

striper134
06-22-2003, 05:39 PM
I agree with Joe. The local business will suffer as well as the guides and others who love to fish and love to see others learn about the sport and try to make a small living doing it. I also like the letter John R has written and I'm all for doing it. If any one is intrested I have enclosed a link you can go to and find your local rep, even if your from out of state you can use the town you fish in and find out the info for the local and state rep. Email,write, or even better call them. Let them know how you feel because before you know it they will pass the bill and there will be no time to speak your mind. Act Now!
The money is going to nothing good so lets put a stop to it!
Click Here For Your Local/State Rep (http://www.state.ri.us/RIELEC/FINDOFF.htm)

Bliz
06-23-2003, 07:50 AM
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

It's bad enough that recreational anglers are being squeezed out access to what used to be public areas, and it's even worse when the government tries to put the burden of their fiscal irresponsibility onto the backs of fishermen while removing their basic rights!

THIS REALLY SUCKS!

We need to mobilize... and to do it QUICKLY!

I like the idea of lobbying the steps of the statehouse!

chris L
06-23-2003, 08:46 AM
TEA
TEA PARTY TEA PARTY TEA PARTY TEA PARTY
TEA PARTY
TEA PARTY
TEA PARTY TEA
TEA PARTY
TEA PARTY
TEA PARTY
More Taxation without representation !
If it happens in RI EXPECT Mass and Ct to follow . Ill not only sign Ill picket and bad mouth them spineless sobs . and put dead bunker in their cars on a hot day . SOBs

fishweewee
06-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Chris,

Dead green crabs make a far worse (semi-permanent) smell in a hot car than dead bunker do. :devil:

-WW

flatts1
06-23-2003, 11:12 AM
John,

Great job on that letter. Now this is what I call a constructive use of web resources that will have a real impact because you are taking your case to the right people! I hope that all of the folks who said they will sign on will write up something in their own words to help the cause.

I'll just resend my letter that I sent on the matter last year. What is the saying? Same %&@* different day.

Also, I am on the same mailing list that you referenced. Just yesterday Mr. Medeiros wrote:

I received a call a short time ago from someone "in the know."

Several of the state representatives have been calling each other over the license proposal and "all the calls they are receiving against it!"

Keep up the good work everyone!

It's working!

If you haven't sent an e-mail or called your representative, please do so!

We might be able to stop this license fiasco if we all work together!!

rwilhelm
06-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Well put John, I could not agree with you more. I think this is totally ridiculous to implement a license for saltwater. The only reason this is coming into play is because of the huge deficit. Maybe they should concentrate their efforts on trying to bring more jobs into Rhody.

redcrbbr
06-23-2003, 11:21 AM
john, good letter. only thing you may want to mention is how many out of state fisher people attend and contribute to charitable fishing tourneys like the MDA and others.
joe is right. this is gonna hurt alot of business. i'll stand on the steps waving a poster.

the money must stay out of the general fund!

KLMulder
06-23-2003, 11:42 AM
I will pay a fee under 6 conditions.

#1 They stock the bay with Stripers!

#2 DEM arrests all people who take shorts, leave trash behind, and 142 other things I have not thought of yet.

#3 We have access to fish where and when we choose

#4 They take out those F$&* fish traps

#5 Provide adequate trash and rest room access long the shore line.

#6 and last but not least hire more intelligent DEM officers. ( most I have meet over the years have been very good people, But there are a few who are not capable of working at a fast food joint. ):smash:

NilsC
06-23-2003, 11:50 AM
John,

good letter.
How can an out of state fisherman protest. I don't have a local politician in RI that I can complain to. I'd like to let them know that I'll be fishing somewhere else if this fee is imposed. Then I will make sure I have a full tank of gas going into RI, then I can drive back to CT to get my Bait, Milk, beer, gas and other stuff that I stopped at a local RI store to get. I'm in RI all summer, every weekend and 2-3 weeknights. (The fun part with RI is I got a tax bill from the town of Westerly, for a camper that are registered and insured in CT).

Nils

flatts1
06-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by NilsC
John,

good letter.
How can an out of state fisherman protest. I don't have a local politician in RI that I can complain to. I'd like to let them know that I'll be fishing somewhere else if this fee is imposed. Then I will make sure I have a full tank of gas going into RI, then I can drive back to CT to get my Bait, Milk, beer, gas and other stuff that I stopped at a local RI store to get. I'm in RI all summer, every weekend and 2-3 weeknights. (The fun part with RI is I got a tax bill from the town of Westerly, for a camper that are registered and insured in CT).

Nils

Nils,

Just writeup something heartfelt and don't forget to mention that non-residents make up 60% of those who fish in Rhody.

Mike

JohnR
06-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Nils - write a letter and send it in. Unfortunately you'll need an e-mail as they might fast track this one before a letter will be of any good.

If you follow this link: http://www.state.ri.us/manual/data/queries/FINDOFFICIALS.IDC?REP=37&SEN=38&CONG=2&ccode=36 you'll get an idea of who to contact for where you specifically fish.

For all of you that are in Rhode Island - here is how you find out who to call / e-mail / write: http://www.state.ri.us/RIELEC/FINDOFF.htm Just enter you street name (not number) and THEN you will be prompted for your number...

I have sent off a modified version of the letter at the beginning of this thread, I'm trying to get some phone calls happening too.

Bliz
06-23-2003, 01:04 PM
We need to press HARD on this!

Bliz
06-23-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm contacting Jack Reed...

fishsmith
06-23-2003, 01:13 PM
How about massive amouts of emails to a newpaper or local tv station. This topic is at the top of all the local fishing boards, maybe ungoddly abouts of email to a station/newspaper might get more publicity than an automated response you'll get from a state rep.

Fishpart
06-23-2003, 01:17 PM
I intend on calling Paul Fogarty and Thomas Winfield, my local state legislators....

Sparfish
06-23-2003, 02:01 PM
You want the best way to make a change. VOTE. I am an indepent voter and am shocked at the response. Most of the people we have in Govt. in the State of RI are Democrates. For those of you who aren't familiar with politics, the main difference between Dems and Repubs is the Democrates want large government and to spend your money as they see fit. Republicans want smaller govenment and feel people should have their money to spand how they want. When will people in New England wake up! You want to effect change, then VOTE. Call your local and state officials and tell them you voted for them and will not in the future if the keep doing this to our lives.

KLMulder
06-23-2003, 02:17 PM
I allways thought Dems spend what ever they want and then raise taxes or institute new fees to cover the difference between what they spent and what was collected. Maybe I should try this out and buy whatever I want and tell my boss he has to give me a raise to cover it. I wonder how long I would be abil to keep my job and then how long it would be before I got put in jail.:usd: