View Full Version : Penn 706Z

massbassman
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Anyone purchase one of these new versions since their return to the market and have any input on them? Curious if they are going to meet the expectations on the bar set by the originals. They seem to be identical in design, and claim parts can even be interchanged between new and old. I had the old one many years ago, and the thing was a tank. Just curious.

1dozenraw
11-21-2013, 11:17 AM
I have two old ones and one new one. So far the only difference I can see is the new one is in better shape than the other two.

stripermaineiac
11-21-2013, 06:11 PM
I've heard they're quieter than the old models. Line roller has a better bearing suposedly.

Guppy
11-21-2013, 08:26 PM
No experience with the new, sorry
But been using my really old green 710z until aug., the %}%^*^ drag knob took a triple lindsay over the side! 😂
Dang good boat reel,,, guess its time for a new one and it sounds like they still are.
Oh Santa!!!!

massbassman
11-21-2013, 08:37 PM
They seem to have done a great job "duplicating" the reel. Aside from a little variation in spool color, it seems identical. The price is not over the top either. They came out sometime in September, but I never heard a lot of feedback about them, which was surprising after the immense demand to bring the reel back into production. I really loved the old reel, and am thinking of getting one towards spring.

Jackbass
11-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Anti reverse??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

massbassman
11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Anti reverse??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Unfortunately not. I liked the old spool color better too, rather than this new one, it looks a little too coppery IMO. I wish they had beefed up the drag a bit more too, but I guess that was the whole concept of bringing back a reel in its original state.

Uncle Rob
11-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Where can you go to take a look at one? Shop's around CT. seem not to have them.Hope I'm wrong.

massbassman
11-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Rob, talk to Pat Abate over at River's End Tackle in the coming weeks, he was expecting a shipment soon.

Uncle Rob
11-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I can't go into Rivers End Tackle. I just can't get out of there with-out spending a vast amount, which I'm going to do anyways.