View Full Version : Zeke Silva

JohnR
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Dennis posted the news this morning on FB but the larger than life Zeke Silva has reached the big clearing at the end of the path.

Below is DZ's post:
Rest in Peace Ezidro “Zeke” Silva
One of my longtime friends and casting partners passed away at home yesterday after his battle with cancer. Those of us who knew him were so very fortunate. He touched my life in many ways and opened up so many “fishing opportunities” for me. Zeke was the original inspiration for the phrase “No Fish is Safe” as he pursued anything with fins, yellow perch to bull sharks, from Block Island to Wisconsin. He may now be gone but he’ll always be with me in spirit and memories. Thank you Zeke.Zeke was a great guy full of smile, life, and laughs. I did not know him anywhere near what others did but always looked up to him. I worked with his wife for a couple years before they moved out west. She just rolled her eyes when I told her I knew Zeke a little from fishing.

Nebe
11-26-2013, 09:16 PM
He and chuck are having some drunken blackfish stew right now. I know it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
11-26-2013, 09:55 PM
He and chuck are having some drunken blackfish stew right now. I know it.

:love:

piemma
11-27-2013, 08:25 AM
met Zeke once. he was a fisherman's fisherman!!!!

Tagger
11-27-2013, 08:39 AM
RIP Zeke ,,, You left a mark ,, for sure .. sorry Dennis for your loss ..

DZ
11-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I met Zeke in 1977 after I finished my enlistment in the Navy. We met on the Cliff Walk while surfcasting (where else?). Because we shared the same passion we became immediate friends. Zeke was also a Navy vet – served as a submarine sailor – a fact he always reminded me of by telling me there were two parts of the Navy – submarines and targets – I served on targets.
We shared so many casts together, some very special times, as was the night we both took our largest striped bass standing next to each other during Block Island’s Snowstorm Blitz. I remember shaking his hand in congratulations.
He moved to Wisconsin in 2007 but came back to fish Block with us in 2009. The last time I saw him was last summer in Montana. We and our wives shared a few meals together while touring Glacier National Park. Little did we know he would be diagnosed with cancer 7 months later.
I plan on writing a remembrance once I can get my thoughts together. Here are a few photos of Zeke in his element. His 55 on Block, and wade fishing Sturgeon Bay.

bart
11-27-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, DZ. Enjoyed reading about about your experiences together on the Block. Legendary stuff.

RIP

PaulS
11-27-2013, 10:14 AM
RIP. My condelences Dennis.

tautog
11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
A great fisherman but a better person, Zeke always added to the NCSWFC meetings RIP

Nebe
11-27-2013, 10:44 AM
There was no BS with Zeke. I did not know him well, but I knew him well enough to know that he was one in a million.. No agendas.. For example he could have written a ton of articles and even started a little soft plastic business with his cool senko rig that he developed. But he didn't.. He just loved to fish. Somewhere I have a few of his rigs that he gave me... I will have to find them and hang them proudly.

DZ
11-27-2013, 11:12 AM
There was no BS with Zeke. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No BS is right on. He was a gear tinkerer – always looking to make a better mouse (or in this case fish) trap. I rode his coat tails on some of his ingenious ideas.
One year while we were spending a week fishing the back beach on Cape Cod the legendary Tony C came over to our cottage to hold court over a pot of coffee and pastry. Zeke didn’t know Chiarappo. Tony C starts talking about some of his surfcasting tactics and Zeke interrupts him and tells Tony he’s wrong. I thought Big Ed Babinski and Mike Desimone would fall off their chairs! It was the day Tony C met his match. Zeke then gave Tony some of his Senko rigs and said, “Use these instead.”

Ed B
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
I have known many very good fishermen over the years. Some would be considered the top in their game. But I can honestly say I never met anyone like Zeke who could speak with such extensive experience and knowledge on so many species, the bait they feed on, and the conditions and methods you catch them the best. He read extensively about his quarry and put many miles on his vehicle pursuing everything. Seriously, like DZ said, no fish was ever safe with Zeke around. But what was also remarkable was that he was so willing to share his information with anyone who shared a love for the game. He gave a lot to many. RIP Zekey, you'll be missed.

Nebe
11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
No BS is right on. He was a gear tinkerer – always looking to make a better mouse (or in this case fish) trap. I rode his coat tails on some of his ingenious ideas.
One year while we were spending a week fishing the back beach on Cape Cod the legendary Tony C came over to our cottage to hold court over a pot of coffee and pastry. Zeke didn’t know Chiarappo. Tony C starts talking about some of his surfcasting tactics and Zeke interrupts him and tells Tony he’s wrong. I thought Big Ed Babinski and Mike Desimone would fall off their chairs! It was the day Tony C met his match. Zeke then gave Tony some of his Senko rigs and said, “Use these instead.”

Again. One in a million.

Nebe
11-27-2013, 11:45 AM
The more I think about Zeke, I realize that he was directly responsible for the surf hog pleasure stick. I don't know if he ever used them and I will never know if he knew that I made that lure due to his suggestion that fish pick up on vibration first and foremost.
Rest in peace Zeke