View Full Version : Favorite side dish

Sea Dangles
11-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I like the stuffing more than anything. I make mine with the trinity of onion carrot and celery then add sausage. A cornbread base with some whole cranberry for color and tart!
Potatoes with leeks and gruyere are a close second.

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-27-2013, 07:30 PM
i like the Heady topper,with a nice cigar either right before or right after eating.

Nebe
11-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BMEUPSCOTTY
11-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Sweet potato casserole... :)

Fish On
11-27-2013, 08:22 PM
With turkey....mashed and gravy.

With striper....pineapple salsa.

BigFish
11-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I cook the turkey on a bed of celery, carrots and onions with a little water and apple cider in the pan! Bird cooks....drippings drip......the drippings mingle with the veggies!!! The gravy gets so much added flavor (ya ain't had gravy till ya had mine!) but the carrots, celery and onions......they are so tender and flavorful they are like candy!!!!:uhuh:

The Dad Fisherman
11-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Stuffing.....I make mine with celery, onions, and sausage. Smothered in gravy

ProfessorM
11-27-2013, 08:53 PM
squash

bassballer
11-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Stuffing. Hands down.regular and oyster.

spence
11-27-2013, 09:30 PM
The gravy gets so much added flavor (ya ain't had gravy till ya had mine!)
Ask Nebe about my gravy.

bobber
11-27-2013, 09:51 PM
sausage stuffing. or roasted potatoes

beamie
11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
squash

Not so much:yak5:.....unless it is acorn with some brown sugar and butter.mmmm:uhuh:

The Dad Fisherman
11-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Ask Nebe about my gravy.

I'd rather not.....

spence
11-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I'd rather not.....
You mock what you don't understand.

scottw
11-27-2013, 11:19 PM
mother in law makes an oyster casserole every year that's pretty impressive....grilled chorico, walnut, dried apricot and cranberry cornbread stuffing is a fav...

piemma
11-28-2013, 04:40 AM
My antipasto. I make it quite different from a traditional one. Roasted red peppers that I roast myself all summer, sharp provolone, very thin sliced Proscuitto, imported hard Salami, basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, artichoke hearts and dried olives

Nebe
11-28-2013, 06:47 AM
You mock what you don't understand.

Without a doubt....Hands down the best bird I have ever and probably will eat in my life.

No one should ever doubt Jeff's abilities in the kitchen. The man is a poet with flavors.

numbskull
11-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Pie

Liv2Fish
11-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Rouge Yellow Snow IPA! It's not usually out before Thanks Giving but since it's late this year, I was able to snag some.

basswipe
11-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Side dishes?

Smoked turkey and nuthin else!

piemma
11-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Without a doubt....Hands down the best bird I have ever and probably will eat in my life.

No one should ever doubt Jeff's abilities in the kitchen. The man is a poet with flavors.

And well he should be with a $5K Wolf stove

The Dad Fisherman
11-28-2013, 08:13 AM

I have no doubts about Spence's prowess in the kitchen.....just really didn't want to hear about you sampling Spence's Gravy :hee:

parker23
11-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Westport white turnips mashed w/carrots, butter and salt.

Bronko
11-28-2013, 08:32 AM
My antipasto. I make it quite different from a traditional one. Roasted red peppers that I roast myself all summer, sharp provolone, very thin sliced Proscuitto, imported hard Salami, basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, artichoke hearts and dried olives

This is right in my wheelhouse.

Cohenfishin
11-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Westport white turnips mashed w/carrots, butter and salt.

X2

JohnR
11-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Corn, lightly buttered, with light salt.

spence
11-28-2013, 09:47 AM
And well he should be with a $5K Wolf stove

I wish. Contemplated getting a nice range but to install a proper vent hood would have required remodeling 2/3rds of my house!

-spence

spence
11-28-2013, 09:48 AM
I have no doubts about Spence's prowess in the kitchen.....just really didn't want to hear about you sampling Spence's Gravy :hee:

Made a double strength smoked turkey stock for the base, it was epic.

-spence

Chunkah
11-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Bread stuffing with gravy.

basswipe
11-28-2013, 09:56 AM

-spence

I'm going to use the drippings from the water pan of the smoker to make gravy.

massbassman
11-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Pearl onion casserole with ritz cracker topping drizzled with melted butter.:kewl:

MAKAI
11-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Riced potatoes with real gravy and fresh cracked black pepper.

Coup de gras is the Bourbon Pecan pie........ mercy !!!!

baldwin
11-28-2013, 11:38 AM
My girlfriend's seafood-stuffed mushrooms with clams and shrimp!

RickBomba
11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
The best was the broccoli-rabe sausage, oyster, and cornbread stuffing.

I used fennel instead of celery in the mirepoix and then deglazed with dry vermouth.

It was very busy, but really good (and expensive).

Macomber turnips are also really good, so good looking out there parker and Cohen.

People also like the fried mac and cheese balls with summer tomato dipping sauce. There's nothing special about them,, but they make a huge mess.

spence
11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm going to use the drippings from the water pan of the smoker to make gravy.

Interesting idea. I'd fill the pan with stock first but I'm sure it's too late for that.

Be sure to degrease it!

ProfessorM
11-28-2013, 11:46 AM
I changed my mind screw squash. I love Pie for a side dish and desert and I could eat it instead of Turkey.

MAKAI
11-28-2013, 12:22 PM
My sisters 4 sons are gigantic college football players.
It always turns into a pie eating contest at my parents house.
I feel like a little mouse running around the table looking for scraps. And I go 6 ft 235......Yeeesh seems like yesterday that I was the ruler of the pie.

JohnnySaxatilis
11-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Ma puts pieces of buttered bread on top of the bird with orange and lemon juice... as you baste it really keeps the moisture on top, and they're like turkey flavored fried orange bread... you can feel your arteries harden as you eat em but they're amazing

ProfessorM
11-28-2013, 12:54 PM
LOL. that reminds me we still have a milk man and we got a quart of eggnog yesterday for turkey day and that stuff is like heavy cream and I swear you can feel your heart skip a beat. Now the worst part of TG I got to drive an hour and 3/4 to the north shore. Have a good one.

basswipe
11-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Interesting idea. I'd fill the pan with stock first but I'm sure it's too late for that.

Be sure to degrease it!

That's kind of what I did.The water pan was filled the liquid I brined the bird in.After six hours on the smoker bird is now on the grill(low!) to finish and what's left in the water pan after boiling will be the gravy.

Did an apple/mesquite blend for smoke this year.

We certainly don't agree on politics but we do agree on food!Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Spence.Enjoy!!!

spence
11-28-2013, 01:39 PM
That's kind of what I did.The water pan was filled the liquid I brined the bird in.After six hours on the smoker bird is now on the grill(low!) to finish and what's left in the water pan after boiling will be the gravy.

Did an apple/mesquite blend for smoke this year.

We certainly don't agree on politics but we do agree on food!Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Spence.Enjoy!!!
:cheers:

If you've never done this before I'd suggest tasting it after its boiled to make sure it's not too salty. Should be an interesting experiment...

basswipe
11-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Did you say salty?!

Super fatty too.Dilute and make gravy but not today.Have plenty of regular turkey stock from the giblets.

After all these years with the Brinkman the Weber takes some using.

spence
11-28-2013, 04:37 PM
I suspected you may have those issues.

If you really want to kill it, buy a second bird and smoke the wings and thighs. Save the breasts to roast on their own. Make a stock from the rest of the carcass the day before, then the morning of use the stock and smoked parts with more veggies and aeromatics to make a stronger stock. Instead of turkey fat make a roux with butter and enjoy...I think I got the idea from an Alton Brown recipe.

OLD GOAT
11-28-2013, 07:58 PM
The Wednesday before. I helped two young maidens cut cranberries in half, chop nuts for the famous Nannie Jean cranberry bread.
Thanksgiving morn in their finest dresses we headed out to Coast Guard Station Chatham to deliver the world famous treat.
Then to feed the chickens, check out the property bounds ,then head to west Chatham for some daughter cooking and good company.
Getting old ain't all that bad. Happy thanks giving folks

piemma
11-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I wish. Contemplated getting a nice range but to install a proper vent hood would have required remodeling 2/3rds of my house!

-spence

Just bustin' em Jeff. Happy Thanksgiving

basswipe
11-29-2013, 03:55 PM
I suspected you may have those issues.

If you really want to kill it, buy a second bird and smoke the wings and thighs. Save the breasts to roast on their own. Make a stock from the rest of the carcass the day before, then the morning of use the stock and smoked parts with more veggies and aeromatics to make a stronger stock. Instead of turkey fat make a roux with butter and enjoy...I think I got the idea from an Alton Brown recipe.

After spending the night in the fridge,skimmed the fat off the top.Diluted the drippings with the stock from the carcass and came up with something ok.Still a little on the salty side but plenty of smoke flavor.....not sure I'm going to make gravy with it but it can be used later on down the road.

ProfessorM
11-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Getting ready for round 2. About to sit down to our turkey today. Brined over night and all the fixin's the way we like them and fresh Lithuanian kielbasa and sauerkraut too, plus no driving to and fro.

numbskull
11-29-2013, 06:07 PM
You're gonna look pregnant.

Slipknot
11-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Getting ready for round 2. About to sit down to our turkey today. Brined over night and all the fixin's the way we like them and fresh Lithuanian kielbasa and sauerkraut too, plus no driving to and fro.

I'll be right over

ProfessorM
11-29-2013, 06:36 PM
I feel pregnant.

Tagger
11-29-2013, 09:29 PM
I like the stuffing more than anything. I make mine with the trinity of onion carrot and celery then add sausage. A cornbread base with some whole cranberry for color and tart!
Potatoes with leeks and gruyere are a close second.

stuffing guy also .. you should try getting a little fruity .. chop up some peaches real fine (small 1 serving can) and some apple (skinned)and add that in the stuffing . Stays moist and a little sweet, little pieces of peach looks pretty good too . Got that from wifey's family .. Sweedish .

Raven
11-29-2013, 10:44 PM

is that like seeing sounds when shroomin... :smokin:

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2013, 07:58 AM

-spence

We trash-canned a turkey last weekend, made a gravy with the drippings, had a nice smoky flavor from the charcoal....we ate like kings :drool: