View Full Version : need a new machine

Mr. Sandman
12-03-2013, 10:49 AM
looking for a high end all-in one for the kitchen. Want to have an SSD and no mechanical hard drive.

Dell has a combined SSD + hard drive but the SSD is just a cache, I want to get rid of the mechanical whirrrrrr and the popcorn sound of the drive and I want much faster response.

I am not a big apple fan but their imac has a 500gb "flash drive" also their ad shows a nice slim monitor but is it an all in one or is there an ugly box with wires they are not showing?

ANy suggestions??

iamskippy
12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Lol dude, you so missed your window of oppertunity.......
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mr. Sandman
12-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Are you referring to "black friday" or "Cyber monday"???

If so, I really don't care for shopping on the same day as everyone else. I really am not interested in those retail hallmark holiday sales. I buy stuff when I need it.
You forget, I have not been to a traditional mall in over 15 years and have no interest in competitive or full contact shopping.

Nebe
12-04-2013, 09:18 AM
The iMac is great and yes, it's all in one.

iamskippy
12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Are you referring to "black friday" or "Cyber monday"???

If so, I really don't care for shopping on the same day as everyone else. I really am not interested in those retail hallmark holiday sales. I buy stuff when I need it.
You forget, I have not been to a traditional mall in over 15 years and have no interest in competitive or full contact shopping.

I dont go to the mall either hate. Could have built you a sick machine for short money.

Back on topic.
I am not a apple fan at all so please understand there is some bias, however i will give you my opinion based on 20 + years of experience.

Dell has made a great come back. They did a lot of damage to themselves when they got into production machines(cheapies to compete with gateway and emachine). They still have thier low end stuff but its not complete crap anymore.

I recently purchase my 67 yr old mother a gateway, really turned out to be a nice machine for the money.

Thise would be my 2 recomended companies.

As far as parts and specs.

Processor - intell all day any day stay away from AMD i use to be a.BIG AMD junky but not any more.

Memory - shoot for 8gb i wouldnt go any less then 6 gb

SSD drive - samsung is the best on the market at this time imho, the read right times and data transfer rates are insane.

Video card - (avoid on board video at all cost)this is a tricky one. This is where i think AMD has the advantage but there are some nice Geforce cards out, just make sure its DDR 5 ram and 2gb, or me 1gb isnt enough.

Other then that its an open court, but those componants will get you a machine that will last a long time.

Oh WIN7 dont get 8.....