View Full Version : E-Tex Advantages?

Chunkah
12-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I basically build for myself. I love catching on my own plugs and don't have an interest in selling or marketing my stuff. That being said I do like sharing plugs with others and do give quite a few away. I also trade with others for their products, and I don't want to feel like I am trading an inferior product, but Devcon is just SO EASY to use as a finish...mix, apply, hang. No need for flipping or spinning. Is there a huge advantage to E-tex that I'm missing? Are the advantages worth building a spinner and taking up the extra shop space?
I appreciate the input....thanks!

stripercrazy
12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I e-tex, use it to epoxy seal and top coat...I flip no spinner its cheaper than devcon I mix it like devcon on a flat piece of plastic with a kiddie paint brush and put it on with a 1 inch foam brush and hairdryer I can epoxy 6 to 8 plugs at a time and flip a couple times....I used to get the devcon for 2.97 cents at walmart they stopped selling it went to e-tex and never looked back, like you say we don't sell

ProfessorM
12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Devcon is kind of brittle and will crack pretty easy in rocky areas. I have used it in a pinch on plugs and use it all the time for epoxying the wires in darters, jointed plugs, and over my tails on the thread. If it works for you why change. I use sys. 3 clear coat. Harder than e tex, softer than devcon. IMO for epoxies and for the home builder and with what is available out there out of a catalog in smaller quanities and without spending tons of time searching as there are many other products available, IMO it is just a superior product than the other 2 mentioned. Not a lot more time involved with mixing and applying, more time needed for spinning but you are not watching it so not a big deal. There are learning curves as with anything but pretty easily figured out with more use. Spinning is needed, although you can flip but too much babysitting for me. In a nutshell more of a learning curve, and more equipment but worth it for me. Just my 2 cents.

stripermaineiac
12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
There are some reel sweet dryers shown on the site.A rod turning set up with wire run through the plugs is probably your best bet.Flippin works fine so far for me but I'm building a dryer for myself due to the number of plugs that i do. While I'm baby sittin the epoxied plugs there's a hundred other things that I do from assembly to painting outside.Just remember the space it will take up and how that will affect your other half now an later. I'm lucky mines loves what I do an supports me to the point that much of my process was streamlined by her. LOL just enjoy what your doing. Ron

N.ShoreFisher
12-08-2013, 11:47 AM
There are some reel sweet dryers shown on the site.A rod turning set up with wire run through the plugs is probably your best bet.Flippin works fine so far for me but I'm building a dryer for myself due to the number of plugs that i do. While I'm baby sittin the epoxied plugs there's a hundred other things that I do from assembly to painting outside.Just remember the space it will take up and how that will affect your other half now an later. I'm lucky mines loves what I do an supports me to the point that much of my process was streamlined by her. LOL just enjoy what your doing. Ron

You are a lucky man!

Charleston
12-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I use only Devcon. I get a glass smooth finish and like mentioned it only requires a couple flips. If you look online you can find 12 packs that boil down to about the same cost per syringe as the old Walmart price. Mix it very well and get no yellowing. I have used product that is 3 years old with no ill effects. Why change?

stripermaineiac
12-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Yup. I work hard to keep it that way too. LOL

Jackbass
12-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Yup. I work hard to keep it that way too. LOL

She is a rarity in our world. Great lady
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Chunkah
12-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.