View Full Version : BVI report

bassballer
12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Got back from Tortola and St.john this weekend. Awesome trip. Didnt fish as much as I wanted to but got in enough to feel satisified. We stayed on Beef Island in tortola at the surfsong resort for 3 days, before heading to St.John, and Jost. Beautiful flat walking distance from the resort. Thanks to RIROCKHOUND for the 7' albright and i paired it with a VS150. hit it the first morning and hooked up to some baracuda and some small snapper. I stalked some tailing bonefish but couldnt hook up. My main target was bones this trip. Talk about frustrating fishing. @nd day we went to Long Bay beach with another couple. I brought the rod/reel just in case. As we were laying on beach I see waves of bait surfacing and a couple big breaks. I grab my rod threw on a SP minnow and ran 100yrds to the action. Tossed out the plug and immediatley was on to nice fish. Ran for about 50yrds and broke me off. Maybe a big Cuda or Jack. The blood was pumping though. Managed some small snapper but nothing that was pulling drag. 3rd day hit the flat again, tied on a small 3/4 oz white spro bucktail. saw a tailing bone and spooked him on the first cast. Little later after some more blind asting, tossed the jig into a little deeper water from a bar i was on and Bang! Nice 50-60 yrd run and i had to tighten the drag a little. Nice 2 big runs after that and I landed my first Bonefish. awesome fight for a fish that maybe weighed 8lbs. It was a healthy specimen. Chalk that off the bucketlist. Didnt fish after that. Spent the rest of the trip at the Bomba, foxys, soggy dollar, every other bar the VI's. Great trip.

bassballer
12-16-2013, 10:45 AM
These give you an idea of the flat i was fishing. This was basically on the resort 200yrds from our villa.

niko
12-16-2013, 10:46 AM
8 pounds is a good size bone, ive seen some slobs down the keys

DZ
12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Not to hard to take - looks alot different than Pulaski. Nice bone!

bassballer
12-16-2013, 10:51 AM
heres where I hooked up with the mystery fish. The looks I was getting walking around with a VS plug bag and wading belt with plier sheath were funny. They dont see many surfcasters around there. Didnt see one guy fishing from shore.

PaulS
12-16-2013, 11:02 AM
congrats on the 1st bone

seadogg
12-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Really cool. My girlfriend and I are thinking about a trip to someplace like that. She wants to lounge at the beach and I want to fish. Looks like the BVI could be on the list. Cool pics.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
12-16-2013, 12:06 PM
sigh ;(

Just looking at my driveway that looks like Ice Station Zebra

tunaless greg
12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I fish down their once or twice a year. This years trip will be from a kayak, it greatly increases your chance of catching. It can be maddening how difficult it is to sneak up on a bone fish, when there are only a couple. So few people fish there, it is great to have a flat all to yourself.

bassballer
12-16-2013, 02:10 PM
I fish down their once or twice a year. This years trip will be from a kayak, it greatly increases your chance of catching. It can be maddening how difficult it is to sneak up on a bone fish, when there are only a couple. So few people fish there, it is great to have a flat all to yourself.

Even harder on spinning gear. I would get up on one, toss my jig about 6 feet pastem and they 'd get spooked and that would be it. Tough fishing but visually awesome. Something about site fishing with light tackle, thats my type of game.

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Glad you got some fish.
Re-run the drop off time/place this week?

bassballer
12-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Glad you got some fish.
Re-run the drop off time/place this week?

Perfect

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Perfect

:wave:

bart
12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Awesome. That is my dream vacation...

Raven
12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Nice Bonefish...although it looked like a green back
instead of the browner
version in the states
awesome photos all around

ProfessorM
12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
God I'd luv to be there right now. Been there before, unfortunately not recently, and the beaches are as nice as anywhere.

Finaddict
12-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Sweet ... beautiful spot ... thanks for sharing ... want to go there now ... love bonefish ... I remember my first bonefish on fly, a great day ... tails everywhere first light ... nice and hot, low winds ...

Some friends of mine in Miami go to islands throughout the Bahamas and Caribbean to wade for bones without guides - they have found a number of islands that are well known vacation spots but not targeted bonefish spots and they do great ... very secretive, shoot over for weekends and extended weekends ... what you did is a lot like how they pursue it. Now I need to head south.

Mr. Sandman
12-19-2013, 04:42 PM
You certainly didn't miss much up here...

zimmy
12-21-2013, 09:23 PM
heres where I hooked up with the mystery fish. The looks I was getting walking around with a VS plug bag and wading belt with plier sheath were funny. They dont see many surfcasters around there. Didnt see one guy fishing from shore.

Is that Salt Pond?

bassballer
12-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Is that Salt Pond?

No it was long bay beach.