View Full Version : Substitute for WRC

Eric Roach
12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Can anyone recommend a good substitute to WRC (Western Red Cedar)?

Specifically, I wanted to build a couple of Rockfish9's Sand Eel Swimmers without having to order some WRC, which is the recommended wood.

I have EWP & Basswood, which is close to the density of WRC. I also have some AYC, Port Orford and Spanish cedars, but they about 30-40% denser than WRC.

Thanks to anyone who has some experience with wood swaps for swimmers.

Thanks again,

Eric

nightfighter
12-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Eric,
Check out the cedar ballusters instead of trying to locate WRC stock in board feet. Usually more readily available....

eskimo
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
I bet you could get away with basswood. I recommend epoxy sealing it as it tends to have issues from time to time. If you had red cedar you would most likely want to epoxy seal that anyway.

Basswood is great.. but I've never used such a inconsistent species of wood before. I've milled some and ended up with squares that seemed as heavy as maple and I've milled some and ended up with squares that were as light and soft as balsa.

edit: Didn't see that you had EWP - me thinks that'll work perfect.

N.ShoreFisher
12-30-2013, 07:55 PM
man, I wish I could tell the difference between wood. No clue. My father in law brings me a few boxes of blank material every weekend, but I couldn't tell you if it was pine, mahogany, cedar...etc. Is there like an online guide or something, or is this kind of common knowledge stuff, and I just missed that day in life school? lol

ProfessorM
12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
White pine is my new, last 3 years, favorite wood. I use it a lot and I too think it would serve you well for your application.

Eric Roach
12-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Thank you for the responses. I'll try EWP.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman
12-31-2013, 09:01 AM
White Cedar is another option.

But as NF said....you can get Red cedar ballusters pretty much anywhere. Thats all I use.