View Full Version : Bait Lure identification

fish raptor
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM
My father purchased these from a gal who's husband passed away and now gave to me. I have 2 pics to download. Their are basically 2 different variations of "jigs". A flat (some are dished slightly) with a single hook and the others are a double hook rig, some connected by a swivel and some by wire leader to the back hook. Hooks on both variations are at least a 6 and most are a little larger (7/8) ? The biggest hook I had was a 6 Gamakaatsu and it was layed next to each of the variations so that you could get an idea of hook size. 2 pics of each variation (1 close up and 1 afar). They are about 41/2 to 5 1/2" long and would guess about 3oz. give or take.

First 2 pics are of the "flat" single hook jig. Lead with I would guess a no. 7 hook. They are not all the same, some flat, some curved, some with a rib running length wise. What might these have been intended for and not sure if I could use them or not. I would guess for bigger fish from a boat. My next post will have the other variation and 2 pics.

fish raptor
12-31-2013, 03:50 PM
this is the 2nd variation: 2 pics. one close and 1 afar.

These have same size hooks, but are longer. some single hook rig and some double with wire leaders or connected by large swivel.

any guesses as to what they are for. Considering the size of the hooks not sure if too big for any Stripers.

I would guess that the largest hook for stripers would be a 5 or 6 max. Correct ? these are a little bigger.

Also, BOTH variations have this brass ring midship and not sure what it's intention is. Was it for casting ease or possibly a device to make "noise" upon retrieval as they ALL have one.

Jackbass
12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
The top thing looks like a tin squid

The bottom is a jig not sure what type but I would try and rig a dead eel to both
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
12-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Almost like an old style tricky #^&#^&#^&#^&
Nice assortment -> looks like mojo city

nightfighter
12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Nice stuff!
First group I'm not familiar with, but as mentioned, could be used with squid. Similar to spoon jigs.
Second group is of nice old eelskin jigs. You can see the collar where they would tie the skin onto it with dental floss or twine.
VineyardBlues will chime in with the particulars if he sees this....

flyvice11787
12-31-2013, 06:29 PM
First 2 pictures are old "block tin" squids. Nightfighter nailed it on the last 2.

Guppy
12-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Those eel skin jigs are awesome,,
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=57855&d=1388523103

Can you still get them? Does anyone have the mold?

ProfessorM
12-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Those are eel skin jigs. I have lots of them. I made tons of the brass rings that are soldered onto the lead for an old friend on Cape. The ring is for tying the skin on. The mold looks almost exactly like those eeelskins. He lent me the mold and I poured a ton of them. I have not used one in a few years. If you want a few Gup I'll bring some to plugfest.

Guppy
12-31-2013, 07:42 PM
There must be an echo in here! 😃
Yes, please do, love to have one or two
Thanks Paul

ProfessorM
12-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Got rid of the echo. Will do.

justplugit
12-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Leave it to the Professor. :btu:

fish raptor
01-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Well, I assured my dad that it wouldn't take long for the "crew" on Striped-bass forum to figure out and I was right. Thanks a bunch.

So, from what you all said am I to assume that this jigs are to be used for Stripers ? If not what for ?

I did not get any reply to the comment I made on how I thought that the number 5 or 6 hook biggest for stripers as these rigs are one probably 2 sizes bigger.

So I would skin the eel in a "tube" fashion and than afix to brass ring... correct ? Nice thing about these is they were free so I won't have to worry about being too close to bottom. thanks again.

ProfessorM mentioned Plugfest ? what and where is it ?

piemma
01-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Squid tins. My friend Scott Slocum use to use them with an eel. It was a killer combination. The second set is for eel skins. I have a few Dave Hammock gave me back when Murats was in business

vineyardblues
01-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Nice stuff, thanks for posting them!
The eelskins are wicked cool and it looks like you have some of the early Floyd Romans. :) he was one the first to sell them and had a catalog. Around 1940s. Every guy back in the day made them in their basement and garage from Worcester to cape cod to fish the canal and troll off the beaches

The tin lures i have been told stated down NC fishing from the outer beaches , later on all over NY ,Charlie Graves, capt Bills also made them for the public.

parker23
01-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Nice score.

I remember using those eel rigs w/my dad & grandfather. My grandfather made a mold similar to those in the late 60’s. I lost my last one 15 or so years ago. Unfortunately, my father’s garage burned down in 1994. He had tons of old cool gear.

fish raptor
01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
I must have 60 or so total jigs. Now it's time to everyone cringe...

My dad found all of these at a garage sale.
bought from a gal whos dad had passed.
My dad said he had no use for jigs just wanted the hooks so he
told her at 6 cents per hook the most he could give her was
2 bucks.

She took it!

OLD GOAT
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
When I was about six years old I still remember Squids on a tarred line being swung like a lasso and let go into the wash then pulled in hand over hand hoping for a strike

numbskull
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
When I was about six years old I still remember Squids on a tarred line being swung like a lasso and let go into the wash then pulled in hand over hand hoping for a strike

Bigelow & Schroder (Fishes of the Gulf of Maine) report that someone took a 112 lb striped bass doing that in Orleans around the turn of the century. That is what I'd call a "strike".

Guppy
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM

This woke up some of my old brain cells! 😄 Great memory.
Did the same about that age on the rocks south end of Nantasket beach,,,
http://maps.apple.com/?lsp=9902&sll=42.269175,-70.839336&q=67%E2%80%9399%20Damon%20Park%20Rd,%20Hull,%20MA% 20%2002045,%20United%20States

Older cousins would have me stand on end of line and they would wip it out for sea perch,,,, then chuck the perch (no hook) for gulls LOL ,,,Great fun

ProfessorM
01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
ProfessorM mentioned Plugfest ? what and where is it ?

This
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=84493

Plug builders get together and show their stuff and chew the fat for the day

fish raptor
01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
I got a reply via email from my old landlord who is a big "boat" fisherman on the Cape. I sent him the pics above of the 2 different versions of jigs that I recently aquirred and his reply is "pasted" immediately below. His idea of painting them and using with some type of plastic lures I think would be advantageous. Does anyone know specifically what type of plastic he is referring to and how they would be added to the rigging. I just got a fly tying vise as I wanted to begin to make my own teaser/trailer hooks as purchasing them are little pricy and you can make them cheap plus added fun. Possibly converting the rear hooks on the double hook rigs to a teaser setup would "sweeten" them up a bit. I think that modifying the rigs (at least some) would be a good idea... looking for suggestions. I like the idea a lot so let don't so don't hold back on your thoughts. you know what they say "Variety is the spice of life".... and that probably goes double for S.B. Fishing.

Just a note: I haven't purchased the Century rod yet.... was originally leaning towards a 1327 then damn near everyone advised go 1328 but the last guy I spoke to said that I would not be happy with a 1328, too stiff for the small SP's and such and I would be happier with the 1327 BUT know it does not make a good jigging rod, so might have to get a second pole ??

I WOULD SUGGEST U BROADEN YOUR HORIZONS & NOT GET TOO FOCUSED ON JUST " EELS/ SKINS "
ALL THOSE TYPES OF LEAD JIGS , SHOULD BE PAINTED WITH VARIOUS COLORS & USED WITH A VARIETY OF
PLASTIC LURES ...CHECK OUT SOME OF THE TACKLE SUPLIERS & LET YOUR IMAGINATION BE YOUR GUIDE ....
THATS STEP 1 .

YOU NOW NEED A PROPER ROD & REEL ,& LINE , ETC. .TO EFFECTIVLEY WORK THEM IN DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENTS + THE
STICK TIME IN WHICH TO CHOOSE WHEN & WHERE ...& HOW ....