View Full Version : Difference in Flurocarbon Leader Material and Line?

Squiddy
06-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Kind of a random question here. Does anyone know the difference between flurocarbon leader material and flurocarbon line (like Berkley's "Vanish")? You can go buy momoi, seaguar, yo-zuri leader material for big bucks like $25 for 50 yards or you can get "Vanish" 175 yards say of 20 lb test for $12.95. Keeping yardage and lb test constant and not confusing hybrid lines here...what is the difference?

Raven
06-23-2003, 03:55 PM
the flourocarbon leader material comes in 30 to 50 lb strength in short spools,whereas the flourocarbon lines rarely exceeds 20 lbs in sufficient yardage to spool a reel unless you purchase the bigger jumbo spools for big dollars.
some of the combo /hybrid lines are grey-ish as in yozuri hybrid which is nylon and flourocarbon bond. Your looking for shock strength and invisability and trying to replace the wire leader with something that can take a beating more than line can.
line coated with flourocarbon absorbs less water and that will make for more sensitivity. LINES tend to float and flourocarbon sinks and is generally better for the finicky bite.
so you buy your 30lb mono and add a 30-50 lb flourocarbon leader to it for maximum invisability combined with durability......
just my 2 cents worth but i keep experimenting just the same.:cool:

Van
06-23-2003, 05:21 PM
I'll tell ya, last night I spooled one of my baitrunner 6500's with
Yo-Zuri hybrid 30 lb., and I am impressed. It stays flat and limp (does not take the swirl shape of the spool.)
We were into blues, (few bass) all day today in the boat, and that line took a beating. I really like the way it performs.
But yes it was more $$$$ than regular old mono.
Just MHO.
I also have some fluoro leader material that is 60 lb, I like to use that when trying to pick bass out of schools of blues.

Christian
06-23-2003, 05:56 PM
hey van, the blues reached the harbor already?

Van
06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Christian
hey van, the blues reached the harbor already?

;) :btu: :btu: :btu:

Notaro
06-23-2003, 11:30 PM
I tried using yo-zuri hybrid #20 and #30 on my stilstar combo and they weren't impressive to me. I got memories on them and it tangles. I used stren and JohnR was right. I need to save my money. And also it doesn't do squats for surfcasting. I liked rigging a seaguar, but they are expensive. I use #20 leader. I'm thinking about getting a 60 lbs seaguar leader for stripers and blues in a hi-lo rig.

Good N You
06-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Florocarcon isn't a coating on the line. The whole extrusion process is different. The line is more invisible in water because it does not refract light like regular line. In clear water it helps alot. It is also stronger than regular line. Don't waste your money on the vanish, its crap. Buy the seaguar for $20 a spool. It hepls alot for shy stripers.

Raven
06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
This advanced new series of line uses a double coating of fluorocarbons to create low-stretch solidarity and sensitivity unmatched by lesser nylon lines. The unique coati...

theres an example! ...that was copy and pasted from an article talking about yozuri... other lines are 100% FLOUROCARBON.

and mostly used for leader material as its rather stiff.

flourocarbon is fast replacing teflon and silicon and sometines nylon in many applications... besides being used in the extrusion process of making lines.

theres many products out there made in many different ways.

Notaro
06-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Hybrid line makes lousy leaders. It tangles.

Mike P
06-25-2003, 09:58 PM
One of my favorite internet lines of all times---"Vanish---it's what my lures did when I tried that s***" :smash:

Bill L
10-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Crap, I bought some 40# Vanish leader material, and my teaser fly "vanished" with a fish the other night. That jogged my memory, did a search, and here we are. Could have been my knot though, thats where the break was.

Whats the verdict, is Vanish leader fluoro crap :confused:

Got Stripers
10-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Mike P
One of my favorite internet lines of all times---"Vanish---it's what my lures did when I tried that s***" :smash:

Yup, Vanish should vanish, might be the best line going if only it would hold a knot:). That #^&#^&#^&#^& came off my spools almost as fast as it went on, I can't believe it's still on the market, it's junk.

missing link
10-10-2003, 07:56 PM
What kind of knot are you using I use the uni on my leader I use a reverse top shot 25 lb mono on bottom Power Pro 50# on top braided with seagar floro for a leader , nice instant feel of a hit a little give with the leader works for me . this was taught to me by a guy that fishes for cow's all the time it's woked for me but i can only get out on the water on the weekends; water, boat , fish,family, makes me happy !!!!!!!! did I say FISH!
later LINK

Joe
10-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Fluorocarbon is probably better, I'm just not sure how much better.
A lot of guys simply go for every edge they can get with the thinking that any time you increase the odds in your favor - you are making the right move.....
I can see using it for tuniods or on the flats during daylight, but even then, if you are going to use a snap, it seems to me to be counter intuitive. To me, it makes little sense to use a low-vis leader then stick a black snap on it.

I still like the Berkley 50 Pound Big Game clear mono for most applications.

I probably will switch when it becomes cheaper.