View Full Version : boot suggestions

Guppy
01-05-2014, 09:24 AM
These guys are at the end of their rope and my feet froze shoveling,,,, any suggestions out there,,, general use and ice fishing

TIA Gup

Nebe
01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Sierra trading post has some nice sorrels at 30% off.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnySaxatilis
01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Guppy those are llbean maine hunting boots, no? If so just send them or bring them back they'll give you brand new ones for nuthin

BigBo
01-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Guppy those are llbean maine hunting boots, no? If so just send them or bring them back they'll give you brand new ones for nuthin
Yup. :uhuh:

nightfighter
01-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Have Sorels, with new liners last year, which made a difference. Would like a pair of Mucks too.
LL Bean boots have always been cold for me. Foot seemed to suffer the sweat then freeze cycle without room for liners like Sorels.

ProfessorM
01-05-2014, 10:06 AM
those boots are not for real cold winter snow walking, for everything else I luv em. . I would bring them back for resole. I have a few pairs, heights, and one pair I have had resoled 3 times, 30 bucks I think last time, now good as new and no break in.

spence
01-05-2014, 10:22 AM
those boots are not for real cold winter snow walking
Was going to say the same thing. Sierra has some good deals and offers a lifetime satisfaction as well. Bean is always a good value.

-spence

Sea Dangles
01-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I am very happy with my Muck Arctic boots for winter/shoveling/ice fishing duty.Warm,dry and comfy.

Raven
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM

i second this because the insulation materials are far superior today
than when those were originally made

and you cannot beat the price
plus they don't charge for shipping either

iamskippy
01-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Love my sorels

Guppy
01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Wow! Got all excited LOL :biglaugh:, just checked their Chippowar and looks like I pulled the (Insolite ? Liner) out at some point (yes, overheating problem). Had a pair of shin high all leather upper felt packs that gave up the ghost a little while back,,, really miss those! 😢
Thanks folks, I'll look into these suggestions.
Bring on San Diego:)

Guppy
01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
those boots are not for real cold winter snow walking, for everything else I luv em. . I would bring them back for resole. I have a few pairs, heights, and one pair I have had resoled 3 times, 30 bucks I think last time, now good as new and no break in.

Had no idea that type could be resoled ,,, little late now, I recked um! :smash: tanks

JackK
01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
I am very happy with my Muck Arctic boots for winter/shoveling/ice fishing duty.Warm,dry and comfy.

+1

piemma
01-06-2014, 05:07 AM
I wear Red Wing loggers. Treated them with mink oil. Waterproof, warm as toast (too warm above 32 degrees) and lots of support working in the woods cutting. Pricy though $185

Rockfish9
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
If you want warm... dry comfortsble feet for ice fishing, you cannot beat Muck boots( unless you find an old pair of Arm surplus "mickey mouse" boots)... I have a pair of Muck Artic pro.... I've used them under every condition from -10 to fall fishing in the boat.... they are warm with minimal socks..poly pro liners and LIGHT wool blend socks will keep you comfortable in any weather becasue they extend above the calf.. slush and snow conditions like i fished in all weekend is no issue.. my old Sorrels would have rolled over and died 10 minutes into the day.... i also recomend a Peet boot dryer... pop them on the dryer at the end of the day and plug it in... the next moring you'll have warm DRY boots to start the day... the remain oder free because the bacteria has no moisture to grow on..

OLD GOAT
01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
If you want warm... dry comfortsble feet for ice fishing, you cannot beat Muck boots( unless you find an old pair of Arm surplus "mickey mouse" boots)... I have a pair of Muck Artic pro.... I've used them under every condition from -10 to fall fishing in the boat.... they are warm with minimal socks..poly pro liners and LIGHT wool blend socks will keep you comfortable in any weather becasue they extend above the calf.. slush and snow conditions like i fished in all weekend is no issue.. my old Sorrels would have rolled over and died 10 minutes into the day.... i also recomend a Peet boot dryer... pop them on the dryer at the end of the day and plug it in... the next moring you'll have warm DRY boots to start the day... the remain oder free because the bacteria has no moisture to grow on..

Love those Micky Mouse boots, unless your driving a foreign carwith the peddles close together

spence
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Love those Micky Mouse boots, unless your driving a foreign carwith the peddles close together

Ha, I used to drive my 5 speed Audi with size 13 Simms wading boots on. Wasn't easy...

bassballer
01-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Ive been looking for the Sorel 1964 Premium but they dont have my size anywhere they are on sale. been looking for weeks. Might have to pay full price i guess. Looking for a 11-12 if anyone spots one.

Guppy
01-06-2014, 05:46 PM
If you want warm... dry comfortsble feet for ice fishing, you cannot beat Muck boots( unless you find an old pair of Arm surplus "mickey mouse" boots)...

LOL No thanks on the Mickey Mouse boots,,, stopped wearing them late 60's,,, gave m back to Uncle Sam 😃😃

Rockfish9
01-07-2014, 07:30 AM
LOL No thanks on the Mickey Mouse boots,,, stopped wearing them late 60's,,, gave m back to Uncle Sam ����

Yup... I believe the word we used to discribe them was "clodhoppers"... they were almost like wearing snow shoes.. the Mucks are much more stream lined and 1/3 the weight... if you want more muck boot testimionials go on iceshanty and do a search...

Chunkah
01-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Love my Muck boots. Waterproof, great on the canal rocks, and great in the snow. My favorite pair of shoes.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-07-2014, 06:30 PM

X2

maddog2020
01-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Most of the pac style boots w/ rubber bottoms and wool/felt liners are pretty good. (Sorel & Baffin are excellent) Those UGLY & bulky Mickey Mouse boots are awesome!! I love the ones I have that don't have the valve. I think I got them a while back from the Sportsman's Den.

I have some other Hodgman's boots on clearance a while back as well which used some harden screw on spikes on the bottom - I wear these exclusively when I snow blow !! I never slip and they are warm. I don't think they make them any more.

You can screw in short sheet metal screw into the sole - careful not to puncture the inner part AND that if you are walking you don't feel it under your foot. An insole will take care of it. The hex heads work best!! To remove use vise grips when worn out.

BEST to have too much room than not enough room in your boots so the warm air can move around. You can also throw in a hand warmer (dry chemical kind) in each foot to be toasty (when I use to hunt in bitter cold I did this).

Good luck.

Guppy
02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Went with Sorels... Couldn't find them anywhere in stock then come to find out they where right down the street in Harwich,dah,, good $ also,,,
Test run tomorrow,, ice fishing!
Thanks for the input folks

nightfighter
11-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Picked up a pair of Bogs ultra highs. Similar to Mucks, I believe. Stayed warm and dry in very wet conditions the other day.