View Full Version : landing fish from a jetty

Jamie M
06-23-2003, 01:00 PM
I did quite a bit of fishing this week from the East Wall at the Camp Cronin fishing area. I liked fishing from this jetty - it was a dry, easy, flat surface to walk on, even at night. The problem was landing fish. Since the jetty is about 10 feet above the water, and my rod wasn't nearly sturdy enough to just hoist the fish on to the rocks, I had to climb down to the water to get the fish. This was not a fun thing to do, as the rocks were very slippery.

How do you guys land big fish from a jetty? Are there options other than getting a very short, stiff rod to just hoist the fish up on the rocks? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Jamie

KLMulder
06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
When I was a kid we used a bread crate with rope tyed to the corners when fishing from a jetty or from a dock. the secrate is to attach a brick to the bottom so it will sink.

DRUMCORPFAN
06-23-2003, 01:30 PM
thats a tough place to bring up a big fish by yourself, two guys a gaff some korkers and rope will help :D i see lots of guys getting scup there but i've not seen anyone pull up big fish. from the beach at the corner yes but not on the wall by yourself.

Mr. Sandman
06-23-2003, 01:51 PM
They make Jetty Gaffs or you can make one..I have see them made from Rod blanks but you have to be a little careful when using it. The commerical ones are made of AL, some are extendable some are one piece. Not everyone carries them you have to look around.

Gloucester2
06-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Bass like scup :D

likwid
06-23-2003, 03:12 PM
weighted gaff on a rope works well also

which is something you'll see alot of at Westport bridge and the like

blackeye
06-23-2003, 08:48 PM
try fishing 150-200 yards to the east. it is a wet slippery nearly impossible to navigate at night spot. the upside is trying to figure out how to get a big fish to come out of the boulders:)

Notaro
06-23-2003, 11:35 PM
G2, that's what I heard. My buddy told me to chunk scup for stripers for Onset fishing. I find it impossible to believe. I assumed that their diets were restricted to crabs, sand eels, eels, bunkers, herrings, macks, silverides, juvie flukes, and squids.

Fishpart
06-24-2003, 05:38 AM
Why chunk them, live line 'em.............. Just watch the minimum posession size..........

They liveline spot all the time in VA, scup do get a little bigger though.

richs
06-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Notaro
their diets were restricted .

If it fits on their mouth, they'll eat it.

rwilhelm
06-24-2003, 11:05 AM
get a net with a long handle

Raven
06-30-2003, 09:29 PM
if you look in most garden tool sheds you'll find an old rusty one that has a curved piece of steel rod thats welded to the hoe blade.
well take a grinder to it and grind off the blade then sharpen the
leftover hook and make a long handled gaff [used for keeper sized fish only] for cheap money. If its still not long enough to reach the water ,drill a hole in the end of the tool handle for a rope attachment.

Scotch Bonnet
06-30-2003, 10:13 PM
or buy a pair of Korkers. Just have a plan for landing the fish before you hook up.