View Full Version : Key West Guide Wanted

NYChaz
01-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Hey, Folks!
My wife and I are finally going on a short vacation to Key West 1/22-1/27! I’ve been searching the internet for an inshore charter/guide IN KEY WEST and no one jumps off the page. Looking for an inshore guy, maybe a short reef trip, whose price wont require a major bank loan! Or, if prices are all the same, whose got the best captain/boat/mate combo?
Is there such a guy?? Whats your experience? Anyone you can recommend?
Thanks for looking. And special thanks for your responses. :fishin:

bart
01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
I have never used them, but have heard good things about Kingfisher Charters. Good luck!

nightfighter
01-13-2014, 03:57 PM
send a PM to finaddict. Andy will know...

Goose
01-13-2014, 04:11 PM
I will be down in the Keys that same week,, if you need another body or two to split a charter lemme know.

ProfessorM
01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
send a PM to finaddict. Andy will know...

I agree
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm going in April for the 1st time so put up some info when you return

Uncle Rob
01-13-2014, 07:51 PM
My wife and me lived there for 9+ years. Try Strike Zone Charters out of Big Pine Key. They do all kinds and size charters. From bone fishing to Marlin, last time I talked to them they had 5 boats. Tell them Uncle Rob sent you, that's where the name came from.

WESTPORTMAFIA
01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
I'll be there for the beginning of the tarpon run. Looking to fish at night. Any suggestions? Not trying to hijack.

Jim in CT
01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
I was in Key West last year with my wife. I too was looking for a good fisherman who would be patient and friendly with my wife. I found Steve Lamb of dreamcatcher charters.

http://fishingkeywest.com/

I though he was the perfect guide to fish with me (experienced fisherman) and my wife (novice to say the least). He's not cheap, but I would use him again.

You need to know some other things! If you catch fresh bottom fish, you MUST MUST take them to the Hogfish Grill on Stock Island (10 minutes from downtown Key West) to cook your fillets fresh.

At night, catch the daily sunset party at Mallory Square - interesting street performers.

Best Breakfast - lobster eggs benedict at Blue Heaven. Expensive breakfast, but insanely good.

Best lunch - blackened grouper sandwich and conch fritters at B.O.'s Fish Wagon.

Dinner - good Cuban place called El Siboney. Seafood at Hogfish Bar and Grill.

You will love it, have a blast, leave your watch at home, and post a report when you get back!

DZ
01-14-2014, 07:55 AM
I visited KW for the first time last spring and had a blast. Great advice from some of the crew here. My tarpon video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EON7UPjcir4

bassballer
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Dennis we were talking about this video the other day in the shop. Kick ass.

Goose
01-15-2014, 01:51 PM
http://www.keywestbaitandtackle.com/

Decent general site..scroll down they offer rod rentals in case your jonesing

Fly Rod
01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Been in Marathon the last two weeks....fishing has been great....basically target yellowtails ....fished 12 of the last 14 days....heading home on Thursday...will be back in March.....learned my lesson fishing on expensive boats to catch the same on a head boat....the other day a person chartered a boat for 500 bucks and caught the same fish we caught for 45 bucks...to each their own.

Tarpon fishing is great here in May around the seven mile bridge....U can rent. a 22 foot center console for about 225 a day plus gas.

Finaddict
01-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Captain Mike Weinhoffer on the Compass Rose Charters ... fishes reef and wrecks, Key West Harbor, offshore ... lots of great options ... he is very very knowledgeable and catches a lot of fish ... there are a lot of great captains down there ... great guide cannot go wrong with him Phone: (305) 395-3474
https://www.facebook.com/CompassRoseCharters

If Mike is booked, he can direct you to another guide to serve your needs, again, a very good guide to connect with.

When I ran Public Relations for The Florida Keys & Key West Tourism - I booked a lot of guides for the press who were writing stories ... all great ... but I will tell you, some of the best trips that I booked for journalists in Key West were with Capt. Mike and Compass Rose Charters.

Fly Rod
01-16-2014, 08:30 AM
They say this is a great time to go sailfishin