View Full Version : penn spinfisher v bailess

american spirit
01-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Has anyone heard of this reel. Specs sound good online but I was hoping some of you could chime in on this one.

JohnnySaxatilis
01-27-2014, 10:26 PM
if you're asking about the famous penn bail flip phobia, I wouldnt be concerned with the new spinfisher. the bail is pretty rock solid. I was using the 4500 this year, used it for schoolies and albies. drag was pretty nice. but the handle has some play in it after a season I don't like... My dos centos!

american spirit
01-28-2014, 09:18 AM
it was the sealed gearbox that caught my eye.

chefchris401
01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
i picked up the new penn 6500 bailless a month or two ago, right now thats the only size that comes bailless.

spooled it up and have test casted it and applied pressure to the drag.

line lay is great, reel is smooth, but no so smooth the handle rotates on its own and spins the rotor.

drag seems great, applies even pressure and has no jerky start up.

scored mine on ebay for $116 with shipping

only bad things ive heard is that once water does get it, which it will seeing its not a sealed reel, the anti reverse goes, thats the one issue people keep bringing up, people seem to think its a $160 van stall/zeebaas which it isnt.

My buddy has fished the regular 6500 all last season and took care of it and his is still in great shape with no issues

seeing i dont plan on dunking it and it will be more a beach/ditch/back up reel im not that worried.

Necker1
01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
I haven't used the 6500 bailess yet, but I plan to pick one up this spring. I did use the 4500 V quite a bit last year and it performed very nicely.

basswipe
01-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Its a Penn,that used to mean something...not so much anymore.Those reels are sealed about as good as a hookers' blouse.

bassballer
01-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I just picked up a 4500 with an Edge gift card. Looking forward to using it as an Bone/albie reel.