View Full Version : Game Changer

N.ShoreFisher
01-29-2014, 08:35 PM
As Ross would say, "I'm officially in the game now". Come fri night, :soon: I will be the PROUD owner of a vega duplicator!!!!!!! Thanks again Ross for the CL heads up! $150 is a hell of a steal, and I'm so grateful to be getting this tool. So, everyone has been warned, N.ShoreFisher is gonna be turning and burning baby!!! :rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

ProfessorM
01-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Good for you. Now your in trouble and for future info if someday you want to invest in a carbide tool set up for it let me know I'll save you a little dough but it is not absolutely necessary you can make do with the high speed steel tool for a while..

N.ShoreFisher
01-29-2014, 08:51 PM
I'll keep you in mind for the inserts, it actually is coming with the carbide cutter upgrade kit!! Whoohoo!! But, I'm sure I'll need inserts, as I fully intend on turning every night after i get this thing set up.

ProfessorM
01-29-2014, 09:01 PM
LOL. I remember that feeling. Have fun

nightfighter
01-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah, that was a steal..... Only thing left to get is a set of the shaft collars with set screw from McMaster Carr. Glad you were flush at the right time. Could be another year before you see another used one for sale, but it wont be at that price.....

N.ShoreFisher
01-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Yeah, that was a steal..... Only thing left to get is a set of the shaft collars with set screw from McMaster Carr. Glad you were flush at the right time. Could be another year before you see another used one for sale, but it wont be at that price.....

what does the shaft collar do?

nightfighter
01-29-2014, 10:37 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=79123

post 10, photo below that

iamskippy
01-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the deases, my new on arrived yesterday from tools plus oit of CT what a great company
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman
01-30-2014, 08:01 AM
what does the shaft collar do?

Not something desperately needed. You can hook it up and run with what you have. Collars are more for convenience. After you hook it up a few times it goes on pretty quick.....I can take mine off and on in about a minute...including aligning it.

...and I don't have any N ShoreFisher Plugs :hee:

BigFish
01-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I suggest removing the tension spring from the unit. I found mine made it more difficult to operate. Maybe others can chime in on this? TDF is right though...once you get used to it...on and off is easy peasy!

N.ShoreFisher
01-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Not something desperately needed. You can hook it up and run with what you have. Collars are more for convenience. After you hook it up a few times it goes on pretty quick.....I can take mine off and on in about a minute...including aligning it.

...and I don't have any N ShoreFisher Plugs :hee:

Gotta say, I'm liking that people are already looking for N.ShoreFisher lures....makes me happy

nightfighter
01-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Slow down... You are being ho'd. What will really make you happy is when members post pics or reports of fish caught with your lures. That is best in my book!

pbadad
01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
I removed springs on both my vegas. More control of cut and less mistakes. Remember this dupe cuts angles down hill. Moving the cutter on an up hill angle may cause your dimentions to be less and cutter to dig. A slight uphill angles will be ok. Remember to make the peice of wood long enough to accomodate the angle of the carbide cutter. I make wood blanks a safe 1.5" longer. No fear of chopping the square end off. Enjoy it and practice, practice practice.

N.ShoreFisher
01-31-2014, 06:57 PM
anyone have pics of a vega attached to a lathe with a tube bed? Just trying to wrap my brain around how to attach.

Diggin Jiggin
02-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I've been enjoying your posts, we were all new to this at one point and it's fun to see how your work has progressed. The vega will give you a huge jump on the learning curve, but my only advice is quality over quantity and start with small runs of plugs. Large runs of plugs tends to turn this hobby into work (IMO)...

I may be the only guy here that still turns by hand, but that's actually my favorite part of the whole process.

N.ShoreFisher
02-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I've been enjoying your posts, we were all new to this at one point and it's fun to see how your work has progressed. The vega will give you a huge jump on the learning curve, but my only advice is quality over quantity and start with small runs of plugs. Large runs of plugs tends to turn this hobby into work (IMO)...

I may be the only guy here that still turns by hand, but that's actually my favorite part of the whole process.

I loved turning by hand, and will probably continue to do so here and there. My reasoning behind getting the duplicator was more for the precision of replication, more so than the quantity. Also, not having to sharpen after every session will be nice! lol Thanks as always, you guys on this site have always been nothing but helpful!

ProfessorM
02-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Funny thing is I hate all turning. I like everything else. I have been running lathes for 35 years on a daily basis. The thrill is gone for me. Always happy to get past that stage but I can see if you didn't do what I do for a living how you could enjoy it. I like a dup because it gets me past that stage with the ability to make precision copies of the plug I am making and thus allowing the fixturing and next stages to go smoothly. Fixtures really work smoothly and flawlessly when you have the same exact thing going in them. It is really the KEY to good fixtures and the dup helps in that. Now some don't care how accurate they are and I have no problem with that it is suppose to be fun and I get it but I have a hard time getting out of my work mode no matter what I am making, wish I could some times but old habits are hard to break. My motto is if you are going to do it do it right. Takes as much time to do a hack job as it does to do it right.
I just wish our CNC department would heed the above advise but at this point I have given up.

N.ShoreFisher
02-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Funny thing is I hate all turning. I like everything else. I have been running lathes for 35 years on a daily basis. The thrill is gone for me. Always happy to get past that stage but I can see if you didn't do what I do for a living how you could enjoy it. I like a dup because it gets me past that stage with the ability to make precision copies of the plug I am making and thus allowing the fixturing and next stages to go smoothly. Fixtures really work smoothly and flawlessly when you have the same exact thing going in them. It is really the KEY to good fixtures and the dup helps in that. Now some don't care how accurate they are and I have no problem with that it is suppose to be fun and I get it but I have a hard time getting out of my work mode no matter what I am making, wish I could some times but old habits are hard to break. My motto is if you are going to do it do it right. Takes as much time to do a hack job as it does to do it right.
I just wish our CNC department would heed the above advise but at this point I have given up.

Well I can't speak for others, but for me, your attention to detail and precision is always welcome and greatly appreciated here, especially for those of us(myself) that don't have a natural inclination to be perfect. It pushes us to do better work.

smac
02-06-2014, 10:06 PM
I use the collars and highly recommend them. Once you get things dialed in, set your collars and you won't have to move them…ever. Haven't had to touch mine in 4 yrs

johnny ducketts
02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Slow down... You are being ho'd. What will really make you happy is when members post pics or reports of fish caught with your lures. That is best in my book!

By that logic, I'll be happy to take a few plugs from you at plugfest and show you what I can catch with them, better yet, i'll deploy my secret weapon Cameron. People give that kid stuff all the time. :biglaugh:

The Dad Fisherman
02-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Me????....Ho.......Never :angel: