View Full Version : Mackerel

Fish On
06-24-2003, 10:19 AM
A quick update for those that catch and fish mackerel live. I could not find any mackerel outside Boston Harbor Saturday after trying several spots and chumming I packed it in. Monday I found them a couple miles outside of Rye Harbor and was able to catch a dozen or so for live bait. Looks like they have moved north of Cape Ann or even further. I'll have to find a new bait fish to chase for stripers.

gf2020
06-26-2003, 09:58 AM
I could find no mackerel off Newburyport - Salisbury - Seabrook yesterday. However, we jigged up plenty of harbor pollock and the stripers liked them just fine!

chubsdad
06-26-2003, 04:42 PM
there not the same

Fly Rod
06-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Same here ! can't seem to find any mac's:smash: :smash: been all over Cape Ann. :af: :af: Plenty of pollock but they just aren't as durable as the mac's.:laughs: :laughs:

On the brighter side there are plenty of Blue fish:) :) Stripers seem to be scarce. they are here but seem to have a problem with size can't seem to catch the heavey weights, only in the 30"-34"size:confused: :confused:

Fish On
06-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Jigged inside and outside flags for macks on Saturday while Cod fishing. No macks up there either. Probably have to go north of the isle of shoals.

CSK
06-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Bluefish make Mackerel go bye bye until fall.

geonoonan
06-30-2003, 07:39 AM
I was able to catch a bunch of macs last weekend up in rockland, maine jigging from a sea kayak, lots of fun...

Backwater Guide
06-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Lot's of Macks off the Saco river in Maine. We got in them heavy 2 miles off the jetty and proceded to drift them through the jetty at daylight. Plenty of healthy stripers and even picked up a few small blues. Things are really hot right now everywhere in the state.
Bait season starts tomorrow on the kennebec and Sheepscot rivers, so look out for lots of legal 40+in. fish being landed. Although rubber baits have been potent, many larger fish have been a little hesitant to strike. With some live herring, we should be boating many more of the larger fish this week.