View Full Version : Winter/Spring Fishing Shows

bloocrab
02-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't see any Fish-/ing shows being advertised (locally).
I'm assuming there are none? Other than the boat show in Boston -

I didn't always score but always enjoyed the atmosphere, seminars etc//.

Anyone know?

iamskippy
02-06-2014, 09:08 PM
I think there is a show at the DCU this weekend.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer
02-06-2014, 10:16 PM
gILLY , RISSA is having their usual in March ><><.,

bloocrab
02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks Mike, I didn't see it on there website.

Maybe I'll see you there?

BasicPatrick
02-07-2014, 02:13 AM
MSBA

chefchris401
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
New England expo feb 7-9 at the DCU center in Worcester

Hartford show feb 14-16

RISSA

MSBA

Plus all the shows in NJ

Already had a couple great ones, Narraganset Surfcasters and the CSA, providence boat show which is turning into more of a vendor fishing show and way more seminars about fishing, new people running it

The Dad Fisherman
02-07-2014, 09:04 AM
PISC

Clammer
02-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Gilly , I havn,t gone the last few years .......... use to go to B/S with the guys ......but that hasn,t happened .

& the last thing I,m doing is buying more gear at this stage of my life & the fishery ,,,But I,d enjoy getting together to B/S its been years My friend ><><><:devil2:

bloocrab
02-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Ok, so I just finished reading the Worcester show reviews in the other thread...:yawn:

I think people (experienced vendors as well as the novice ones) have lost sight of what these shows should be doing for them as well as for us (the consumer).

For the newbie vendor AND more importantly, the seasoned vendor, it presents an opportunity that they can't get online...the physical aspect of selling their product (whether new or proven). A real life... "see, touch and discuss" atmosphere in a room filled with their targeted audience who came with MONEY in their pockets that they're ready to part with - if the price is right.
Prices at these shows should be below anything available online. When attending shows in recent years, I feel like I'm that toddler on the Easter egg hunt,... but I don't have a map. I don't get it, I go there to buy fishing related items and only seem to leave with free literature and over-priced jerkey. I'm not a vendor, never even had a yard-sale of my own..so perhaps I don't understand all the logistics involved. I'm sure there are instances where a vendor can't under-price a retailer that is already selling their product and so on, but you know what...as a CONSUMER, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR AGREEMENTS. As a working class dog, I'm hoping to score some merchandise at discounted prices. Sure, seeing, touching and discussing is something that I couldn't accomplish online and that's nice and all, but saving some pennies is the ultimate goal for me. I also know that if I end up buying that same product online, a plug-builder for example is still seeing some profit from my sale, (whether bought online directly from them or an online retailer), but my personal expectation is that I should see more discounted prices when attending these shows. I believe that a lot of show vendors are simply there to advertise their product, not actually sell it at that particular show.

Perhaps they don't need to :confused:

If that's the case, then I'm the one who is simply confused on why I should or shouldn't be attending these shows. I used to always make it a point to go, and I would travel long distances. Nowadays, I won't drive far...and only seem to go if it's convenient because I already go with the mindset that I probably won't be buying anything.
Seems to me that these shows are now on the brink of yuppification.
OK, vent over. It's 12 Noon and the neon sign on the fridge just turned on.. :buds:

Uncle Rob
02-09-2014, 01:08 PM
GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT THIS. I was going to attend a few this year for the first time. Now that I know the real scoop, I can stay home and save more money for tackle.

derekl
02-09-2014, 10:44 PM
It is nearly impossible to be able to.get a deal at these shows anymore. Say this Worcester show
A 10x12 booth was $650 add in gas food hotel ect and your intonthe show for $1k now u have to sell enough to make up for a 1k loss by lowering prices? Its a lose lose situation
That 650 price tag is low compared to other shows coming up in the near future

bloocrab
02-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Not to sound unsympathetic, but that's unfortunate for small-time vendors.
How do they expect to turn a profit when starting that behind the eight-balls? They'd be better off pedaling their stuff from the back of their truck in the parking lot. Again, no disrespect meant...but I don't take them/that into consideration when thinking of making a purchase at any show. My welfare comes first.

UncleRob, if you're bored...it's not a terrible time. You get to put your hands on a lot of different stuff (you don't have to buy it, but you can get a feel for it, spin the handle - kick the tire/etc)...then go home and either buy it local or online, I've used it to that advantage plenty of times. There are also some pretty cool things to see sometimes. If you've never been, you should go...experience it for yourself.

The seminars tend to bore me...every once and a while you find a very informative one or even an exciting one like RoyL's, but for the most part...a lot of stuff I've already heard, done and forgot. Some of the presenters think they've actually figured it out too, that always turns me off immediately. Don't care for people who sound pompous

To each their own, these are just my personal thoughts. I'm sure there are others who will totally disagree with me, and that's ok too. I'll probably stop by one this year, but my hopes aren't high on making any purchases.

xyzs
02-15-2014, 08:42 PM
just too let you guys know the MSBA EXPO is march 8-9th

:jump::jump::jump:

stripermaineiac
02-16-2014, 08:28 AM
LOL as far as making a profit goes well that happens later when people hit the shops looking for something they find there. Us little guys do it so we can show what we do with some pics of fish and beat up plugs that are still fishable after a loas of fish. If I break even at a show I'm happy. Bob Pond always called it loyalty to the fishermen.Show them what you have ,tell them how it works,show them the beat up plugs you caught fish on and then just plain enjoy talking fishing an seeing old an new freinds.The deals in the experience. Look forward to seeing those that come at the booth.Ron-Striper Maine-iac