View Full Version : Thank God for S.L.O.W.

Van
06-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Couldn't fish today but it was just to nice to stay on land. i had a few hours to kill so I took a ride out to the outer islands.
Sat and watched some boats do nothing, and decided to head elsewhere and catch some rays. Pushed the throttle to 3/4. within a few seconds the engine slowed way down, then i heard the overheat alarm and saw the warning light. shut her down real quick and raised the engine to find a mass of trash bag wrapped around the entire lower unit. Thats when i got the real sick feeling !!! (in my wallet).......

Got it all cleared, waited 1/2 an hour for the block to cool and started her with my fingers, toes and everything else crossed. EVERYTHING WAS FINE :)

That S.L.O.W. overheat feature is a lifesaver (powerhead saver)..
What is it?? Speed Lowering Overheat Something ????
Whatever,,,,,,
Ran her for more than an hour everything normal, so I went back in and thanked evinrude for that SLOW feature !!!!!!!!

BigBo
06-24-2003, 09:31 PM
:D Whew! That's a close one hey Van? Could have been real expensive and so early in the season:( All's well though sooooo.......:gu: Rock on buddy.

Mr. Kav
06-25-2003, 06:14 AM
yes that is a great feature, i'm glad that it was only a trash bag that cause the warning light to go on, Van.

Van
06-25-2003, 09:55 AM
BigBo, Yup a REAL close one, a blown power head right now would basically be the end of this fishing season.

Kav, COPY THAT !!!!!!!!

Gotta do some home chores today, but going out tomorrow if i can wake up early enough(Santana concert tonite). Either way I hope to get out there sometime tomorrow, and then fishing the tournt fri, Sat and Sun.....:happy: :happy: :happy:
You gonna be on the water soon???

Mr. Sandman
06-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Van,

Plastic bags in the water are the worst!

I am just about fished out...I need to take a few days off and play some golf or something.

Roop
06-25-2003, 10:18 AM
It's great when the systems do what they're supposed to.

On Sat. I was running back to sandwich, 2 guests on board, and one LOUD-ASS buzzer goes off, look at the console & it's the low oil light.

No problem, I carry 2 extra jugs, filled up & we were off.

Moral of the story: when prepping the boat the night before, after getting the wife & kids taken care of, and a buddy swings by for a beer or two, get the work finished before you start stacking up empty's - forgot to fill the oil reservoir!! :smash:

MakoMike
06-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Van,
For future refernce, if it happens again, start the motor as soon as you get the trash bag cleared. The water flow will cool the motor much faster than just sitting and waiting. Don't go anywhere, just start her up and rev it up a little in neutral. It could make the difference in a blown head. For the first few mintues you shut the engine off the temp. is still rising unless you get some water running through it.

Raven
06-25-2003, 10:20 PM
eventually you will run out of it......be prepared for that day!

Van
06-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Mako, I though it would be bad to throw cold water into a hot block. I was afraid I could crack something. The temp gauge was pegged. It think thats over 190-200...
Thanks though I'll keep it in mind, hopefully it woun't happen again. Today I was like an old lady about it and keep turning to see the tell-tail and checking the gauge.But all is well, she is running perfect.

Raven, I have had more than my share of bad luck, maybe this was a sign I used it all up and I only have good luck left !!(maybe).:D

Van
06-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Well this must mean something, because twice today I picked up crap on the intake.
First time we slowed for some BIG wakes, once I started to speed up again I looked back and saw NO Telltail. It was a shopping bag. The bad weather has pushed so much garbage out to the outer islands its unbeleivable.
Second time it was a huge blanket of kelp (I was fishing in real close).
Both times I caught it before it heated up to alarm. I tilted it up cleared the crap and restarted, the temp came right down according to the gauge.
I am really cautious now about this, GOOD THING !!!!!!!