View Full Version : 1@32 Pledge Decals

LISurfcaster
02-12-2014, 11:01 PM
1@32 Pledge decals are available. If you support the Pledge shoot me a PM with your address and I will get a decal out to you.

The 1@32 Pledge is an interim step that we are proposing to help reduce the harvesting striped bass. While catch and release is always preferred, the Pledge is simple...in situations when you do not practice catch and release, you pledge to only take one fish per day at no less than 32". The 1@32 Pledge applies to striped bass caught from the surf or shore, on private boats, and party boats.

This grassroots movement will not only help striped bass, but will also serve as a “wake-up call” to the ASMFC that we are serious stewards of the resource.

Ross

Sea Flat
02-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Really awesome, great job!!

JohnR
02-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Nice :btu:

afterhours
02-13-2014, 09:16 AM
most of the fishermen I know keep a few for the table thru out the year and release the rest. these guys know how to fight, revive and release most fish in good shape. most would also like to see a rec take reduction of 50% and an end to the comm take. I commend your efforts as it is a step in that direction.

Nebe
02-13-2014, 09:58 AM
I pledge none at any :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles
02-13-2014, 10:02 AM
most of the fishermen I know keep a few for the table thru out the year and release the rest. these guys know how to fight, revive and release most fish in good shape. most would also like to see a rec take reduction of 50% and an end to the comm take. I commend your efforts as it is a step in that direction.

Don.I am a recreational angler and I think the expectation of keeping fish while commercial anglers are shut out is absurd.Please explain your reasoning so I gain perspective.

Nebe
02-13-2014, 10:13 AM
When you say "make it a gamefish" it's a far more gentlemanly way to say exactly what don said. ;)

I'm for gamefish status with zero rec take as well.

Sell and eat farm raised bass

justplugit
02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
LIS, how can you get them?

N.ShoreFisher
02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
This is in no way meant to be confrontational, but farmed raised is a horrible idea. Fish farms have a far worse environmental impact than taking wild caught. I'm fine with the 1@32" thing if it passes, but just so everyone here is aware, I take my fish. Usually at any given time in the summer I have 1-2 fish in the freezer, and probably eat striper 1-2x a week. I'm sure that's pure evil for some on here, but I consider myself someone who really cares about where my fish come from and how it's handled. Buying farm raised from another place or even country not only creates an enormous amount of waste, but IMHO plays into the outsourcing game that seems to be prevalent in this country. I'm not some kill em' all guy, I care about these fish. I release a hell of a lot more than I take(maybe cause all I seem to catch are schoolies, lol). I don't fight them to the point of exhaustion on light tackle, and then try to revive them. I try to bring them in quick, measure and if it's a keeper and I need food, it gets knocked on the head, gills cut and put on ice really fast. I'm sure this won't be well received by a lot of people here, and I very much respect everyone's differing opinions(except for poachers), but farm raised is not an environmentally friendly alternative in anyway shape or form.

LISurfcaster
02-13-2014, 12:48 PM
LIS, how can you get them?

Hi...just shoot me a private message with your name and mailing address.

Ross

Piscator
02-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Not to go off topic but.......I heard that there was like 3,500-4,000 commercial bass licenses in Mass in 2013, and that like 1,200 or so of those licenses actually had at least 1 fish sold under them in 2014....anyone know if that is true?

piemma
02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
As an aside, Ross is doing this on his own nickel. He has a PayPal account and I sent him some cash to help out. If you guys can afford $5 or $10 bucks I'm sure it would help out with the postage and printing.

This is an unsolicited request that I am making not Ross. I just think he's doing something really good here and could use a little support.

He can post his email account if he wants as I don't have his permission to do that.
If you want the addy, send me a PM.

LISurfcaster
02-13-2014, 06:33 PM
As an aside, Ross is doing this on his own nickel. He has a PayPal account and I sent him some cash to help out. If you guys can afford $5 or $10 bucks I'm sure it would help out with the postage and printing.

This is an unsolicited request that I am making not Ross. I just think he's doing something really good here and could use a little support.

He can post his email account if he wants as I don't have his permission to do that.
If you want the addy, send me a PM.

Thanks for your post. The decals are free as what's most important is to gain more exposure for the 1@32 Pledge. We have close to 1,500 people that are on the Facebook Group page and the goal is to double or triple those numbers over the next several months. If you haven't joined, please do.

There is a PayPal account set up for people wishing to donate to the Pledge. All money goes to off-set expenses with any remaining funds to be donated to fish conservation organizations. I don't want to break any rules by posting the PayPal info here but if you are interested in making a donation just shoot me a PM.

Here's hoping the ASMFC grows a pair and does the right thing.

Ross

afterhours
02-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Don.I am a recreational angler and I think the expectation of keeping fish while commercial anglers are shut out is absurd.Please explain your reasoning so I gain perspective.

chris - I believe in gamefish status which precludes commercial sales, period. gamefish status has been applied to other species as absurd as it may seem to some. you know all the arguments and where I stand and I have no desire to rehash or engage you with banter.

striper774
02-14-2014, 06:49 AM

DITTO

flyvice11787
02-14-2014, 04:03 PM
1@32 Pledge decals are available. If you support the Pledge shoot me a PM with your address and I will get a decal out to you.

The 1@32 Pledge is an interim step that we are proposing to help reduce the harvesting striped bass. While catch and release is always preferred, the Pledge is simple...in situations when you do not practice catch and release, you pledge to only take one fish per day at no less than 32". The 1@32 Pledge applies to striped bass caught from the surf or shore, on private boats, and party boats.

This grassroots movement will not only help striped bass, but will also serve as a “wake-up call” to the ASMFC that we are serious stewards of the resource.

Ross

You'll be at Surf Day, right?

LISurfcaster
02-14-2014, 04:39 PM
You'll be at Surf Day, right?

Yes - we will be at Surf Day...will have the decals, some education materials, a laptop for getting on to the Facebook page AND we are raffling off a custom bucktail bag and some other items.

Ross