View Full Version : 2013 Striped-Bass.com Angler of the Year Nomination Thread.

JohnR
02-24-2014, 08:01 AM
OK - its that time to NOMINATE (not vote) for the 2013 Striped-Bass.com Angler of the Year.

Remember, NOMINATION, not voting part.

Top nominees will be entered in a poll to determine who the S-B.com COMMUNITY feels the Angler of the Year.

Simple Rules:

* Angler needs to be a member with (at least) regular PARTICIPATION in 2013. Should be based heavily on great angling, not just on being a great S-Ber and and all around good fellow.
* Name only
* Member needs TWO nominations (nomination and seconded)

I'll take these names for nomination for this week and put up an anonymous poll after for voting. Member needs TWO nominations (a/k/a nomination and seconded). Winner to be announced at TFCTFN)

So all you Sallys that want to beech about it, please start your own thread. :love:

Previous S-B AOY Awardees

2007: John Haberek, our Angler of the Year Award is named after John
2008: Mike Veraka
2009: Steve Shiraka
2010: Anthony Orlando and George Christman (tie)
2011: Joe Brotz
2012: Paul Moriarty

Back Beach
02-24-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm nominating Piemma. Can't think of anyone more deserving both personally and angling-wise.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
02-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Spence gets my vote!

RIROCKHOUND
02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm nominating Piemma. Can't think of anyone more deserving both personally and angling-wise.

Seconded.

hardcore from shore
02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Bigfish

fishaholic18
02-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Canalman

Rappin Mikey
02-24-2014, 08:32 AM
What about TLap??

ThrowingTimber
02-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Piemma - Just does his thing, zero show boating.

Swimmer
02-24-2014, 09:08 AM
I'll second Bigfish.

snake slinger
02-24-2014, 09:09 AM

3rd

Sea Dangles
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Piemma

bloocrab
02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Raven

keeperreaper
02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Piscator

Slipknot
02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
JLH should be nominated also

BigFish
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
I second Canalman aka Dave Anderson!:uhuh:

thefishingfreak
02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
I second Raven

bart
02-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I second Raven

+3

titan
02-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Toby

ivanputski
02-24-2014, 01:22 PM
TLapinski

Linesider82
02-24-2014, 02:52 PM
JLH should be nominated also

x2

parker23
02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Piemma

Jackbass
02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Westport Mafia, guy knows fish. He's SB's fart in church. You either think he's funny, he grosses you out or you want to laugh but know you shouldn't. On fishing merit alone I'd want him on my team.

johnny ducketts
02-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Chef Chris gets my nomination

afterhours
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
numbskull. the man is very sharing with info and full of passion for fishing.

massbassman
02-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Chef Chris gets my nomination

X2

Hookedagain
02-24-2014, 04:53 PM
second chefchris, that guy fishes hard and very helpful to others when needed.

Raider Ronnie
02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
I nominate Bradley on Fishbucket.

fishbones
02-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Westport Mafia, guy knows fish. He's SB's fart in church. You either think he's funny, he grosses you out or you want to laugh but know you shouldn't. On fishing merit alone I'd want him on my team.

I second Jay. He had a great year, but you wouldn't know because he doesn't talk about it. He catches big fish from beaches, boats and in the canal, and with plugs, eels, jigs, etc... And although he fishes hard, he doesn't let it consume him and has fun while doing it. Even while taking time off during the middle of the season for the birth of his son last year, Jay had a better season than probably 95% of the guys on this site. And besides all that, he's always good for a few laughs when you fish with him.

ThrowingTimber
02-24-2014, 06:18 PM
I will second Bradley he's catching fish as big as he is! The kids a BEAST!

N.ShoreFisher
02-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Nightfighter, knows his fish, fishes smart, and no drama

iamskippy
02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
I will second Bradley he's catching fish as big as he is! The kids a BEAST!

X3 hes out fished 90% of the guys here.Has gone large on a few species last season too. Handles his business on the boat, you would never know he was that young.

decksweeper
02-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Piemma

Nebe
02-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Piemma

WESTPORTMAFIA
02-24-2014, 09:47 PM
I take my name off this list. But it seems some people forgot about Paul/Niko. He's got my vote. No need to explain why. His actions speak for themselves.

wader-dad
02-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Toby - his work freedom allowed him to target all kind of species in all kinds of ways. Toby

Bronko
02-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Jay has my vote. Great guy, excellent fisherman. Hilarious to fish with. To quote Bill Belichik "he gets it."

Piscator
02-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Piscator

Hey numbnuts...it's "Angler" of the year...not "Dangler" of the year you clown.

Piscator
02-25-2014, 10:00 AM
I take my name off this list. But it seems some people forgot about Paul/Niko. He's got my vote. No need to explain why. His actions speak for themselves.

I'll second Paul. Niko is a "game changer" on the water...

fishaholic18
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Clammer

Rob Rockcrawler
02-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Im votin for Saltheart. Good guy, very helpful and gone to soon.

thefishingfreak
02-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Bradley would be stoked but he's not a contributing member.
He's not allowed on here for obvious reasons lol.
Thanks for the honorary nominations

Rappin Mikey
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
I second Saltheart

Ian
02-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Second

tlapinski
02-25-2014, 11:43 AM

I am not sure the S-B AoTY is the right place for the nomination of a member that has passed too soon. I felt the same way when John and Steve won the award in the past as I feel like people feel obligated to nominate and vote for someone no longer with us. Perhaps there is a more appropriate way to honor such members?

As for nominations, I second JLH.

BigFish
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Toby I am gonna defend Flaptail here and say he won for no other reason than he was a great and giving guy to all and he absolutely slayed the fish all season and had the best Fall by his own account he ever had and he just happened to pass away at seasons end.....it was hard earned and deserved! I will also say John Habs may have gotten the vote in a form of a tribute given his death but he was also a very generous and giving person and a great fisherman. Both were as deserving as anyone else alive. My .02 cents.

tlapinski
02-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Toby I am gonna defend Flaptail here and say he won for no other reason than he was a great and giving guy to all and he absolutely slayed the fish all season and had the best Fall by his own account he ever had and he just happened to pass away at seasons end.....it was hard earned and deserved! I will also say John Habs may have gotten the vote in a form of a tribute given his death but he was also a very generous and giving person and a great fisherman. Both were as deserving as anyone else alive. My .02 cents.

Larry, don't get me wrong, John, Steve and now Mike are all great fishermen who contributed a ton to the site. I just don't feel it is a fitting tribute to win such an award after one passes on. There are better ways that we can honor these guys.

Mike P
02-25-2014, 01:06 PM
John's criteria included:

Angler needs to be a member with (at least) regular PARTICIPATION in 2012. Should be based heavily on great angling, not just on being a great S-Ber and and all around good fellow.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I loved the guy like a brother, but Saltheart simply hasn't fished very much in recent years to meet that. We will definitely come up with a very fitting way to honor him at TFCTFN. He gave more to this site than anyone but John, IMO. Certainly much more than I have in recent years. But if John says fishing comes first, we should focus on fishing first. Just my two cents.

I think we should honor Mike this year for what he gave to this site, unselfishly, as both a contributor of good and helpful advice and as a moderator, and honor him in the future by creating an award based on a member's overall contributions to the site, bearing Mike's name. As we do for Habs with the Angler of the Year award.

BigFish
02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
I agree with you and I do get what you are saying but I can guarantee you Flaptail got it based on his generous character and the amazing season he had! He was dialed in and crushing fish like it was nobody's business! John also I believe would have won it as well based on his own merits! Though Mike was a great and caring and giving guy I don't think he was actually out fishing much due to health reasons and that is the criteria. I do think Saltheart deserves great recognition, kudos, thanks and our undying gratitude for the person he was and all that he meant to this site and the people who knew him as I am sure you agree my friend! ;)

tlapinski
02-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I think we should honor Mike this year for what he gave to this site, unselfishly, as both a contributor of good and helpful advice and as a moderator, and honor him in the future by creating an award based on a member's overall contributions to the site, bearing Mike's name. As we do for Habs with the Angler of the Year award.

Great idea!

BigFish
02-25-2014, 01:11 PM

Angler needs to be a member with (at least) regular PARTICIPATION in 2012. Should be based heavily on great angling, not just on being a great S-Ber and and all around good fellow.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I loved the guy like a brother, but Saltheart simply hasn't fished very much in recent years to meet that. We will definitely come up with a very fitting way to honor him at TFCTFN. He gave more to this site than anyone but John, IMO. Certainly much more than I have in recent years. But if John says fishing comes first, we should focus on fishing first. Just my two cents.

Awesome idea Mike...and so very fitting!

numbskull
02-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Eel fish shouldn't count, but as long as they do the guy who impressed me the most this past season was JLH.

Hope he sucks next year, though. :rude:

JohnR
02-25-2014, 01:33 PM

I like this and I agree with this and I thin kthis is the route we should go, by finding a way to honor Mike and honor those that help out others in the way that Saltheart did - that may be the most fitting way.

As for Steve, he had an absolutely incredible year when he passed and could have been voted AOY had he survived. Not just in passing.

As for this award, I will tend to do what the forum at large wants to do (for the most part) but I think this should be Participating Angler - meaning someone that participate AND had an exceptional year out in the Salt.

There are some that are being nominated that are not participating or some that are participating but not angling. I truly think it shouold be someone Participating and Angling

Mike P
02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I agree with you and I do get what you are saying but I can guarantee you Flaptail got it based on his generous character and the amazing season he had! He was dialed in and crushing fish like it was nobody's business! John also I believe would have won it as well based on his own merits! Though Mike was a great and caring and giving guy I don't think he was actually out fishing much due to health reasons and that is the criteria. I do think Saltheart deserves great recognition, kudos, thanks and our undying gratitude for the person he was and all that he meant to this site and the people who knew him as I am sure you agree my friend! ;)

I agree about Steve. And also Habs. I don't know what kind of year that John was having, but I know this: on the worst night of his life, John could out-fish me when I was having a banner night.

chris L
02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
2x mike white for all he has done for others on this site . He is a great friend and fisherman .

Tagger
03-01-2014, 07:07 AM
3rd Bigfish . All around fisherman .. Canal , Surf , Kayaking , top notch plug builder ,, Super generous with knowledge of all of the above .. Fantastic video's fishing,, how to build a plug , Kayaking . Larry is a good friend but I'm totally disregarding that . Who's given more to our passion this year ?? Not influenced at all by his gorgeous wife and fishing buddy ..

Tagger
03-01-2014, 07:12 AM
3rd Bigfish . All around fisherman .. Canal , Surf , Kayaking , top notch plug builder ,, Super generous with knowledge of all of the above .. Fantastic video's fishing,, how to build a plug , Kayaking . Larry is a good friend but I'm totally disregarding that . Who's given more to our passion this year ?? Not influenced at all by his gorgeous wife and fishing buddy ..

AND ... Who's posted here more ?????
:biglaugh:

Tagger
03-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Flaptail gave all .. and once again will be missed today at Plugfest .. Hasn't been the same since he left ..

blondterror
03-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Chef Chris

fishrick
03-01-2014, 11:02 AM
x 5. I have been honored to fish with him my first season in the salt, he has helped myself and many others, his dedication to the sport, results beyond all others from the surf, big advocate of catch and relaease, and if he published his stats (just look at go tight this year and previous years tourneys as well) would put him way over the top. Gets my vote. Very humble guy.

chefchris401
03-01-2014, 11:13 AM
ty's dad, andy stevenson

guy had a great season, stay quiet, help others and fishes more in a week than most do in a month, plus he contributes to the site

and raising a hell of kid

shadow
03-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Iam torn between gottafish( tom white) who gives back to the community and is always been helpful not sure what kind of season he had for 2013 but he fishes hard. Or JLH who also fishes hard and the results show that.

striperswiper75
03-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Definitely a second for Tom White. Aside from always giving back, he is one hell of an angler. Very innovative and if you listen closely enough you can really learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Higgie
03-01-2014, 07:25 PM
X2 Andy Stevenson

tysdad115
03-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks, but I don't belong mentioned with any of these guys.

ProfessorM
03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
yes you do Andy

O.D. Mike
03-02-2014, 09:36 AM
PRBuzz gets my vote! List of fish caught in 2013

Scup

Black sea bass

Fluke

Yellowfin

Mahi Mahi

Pollack

Cod

Red fish

Striped bass

Bluefish

False Albacore

Mackerel

Cunner

Sea herring

Harbor Pollock

Winter flounder

Squid

Cusk

Wolf fish

haddock

tautog

Albacore tuna

Hake

Skipjacks

Weakfish

blue shark

dogfish

sculpin

sea robin

skate

pogy

Slipknot
03-02-2014, 09:40 AM
no bluefin Mike? I second Phil PRBuzz

O.D. Mike
03-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Bad year for the Bluefin...

PRBuzz
03-02-2014, 10:13 AM
PRBuzz gets my vote! List of fish caught in 2013

Scup
Black sea bass
Fluke
Yellowfin
Mahi Mahi
Pollack
Cod
Red fish
Striped bass
Bluefish
False Albacore
Mackerel
Cunner
Sea herring
Harbor Pollock
Winter flounder
Squid
Cusk
Wolf fish
haddock
tautog
Albacore tuna
Hake
Skipjacks
Weakfish
blue shark
dogfish
sculpin
sea robin
skate
pogy

Thanks O.D. but none of these fish count, they were ALL boat fish! :rotf2:

bassballer
03-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Piemma

Raider Ronnie
03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks O.D. but none of these fish count, they were ALL boat fish! :rotf2:

Notice Pink Snapper is not on the list

:hidin:

Mojo7
03-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Canalman aka Dave Anderson. Great fisherman and what he's doing with the GoTight Tournament is awesome.

Raider Ronnie
03-03-2014, 01:49 PM
AND ... Who's posted here more ?????
:biglaugh:

Not even close.
Raven.
But only about 1/4 made any sense.

BigBo
03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Not even close.
Raven.
:rotflmao:

ThrowingTimber
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Not even close.
Raven.

He's baked out of his mind for 99.8% of those posts. Guy posts that he's losing his job and raven responds with posts about cubes orbiting earth n chit? wtf?

I'll second Buzzy dude catches a TON of different species!

tattoobob
03-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Fishing Freak gets a vote from me

Raider Ronnie
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM

His son Bradley out fished him !

JohnR
03-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I will put up a voting poll shortly. Thanks!

Tagger
03-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Isn't he suspect of not sealing flag plugs ??? :rotf2: