View Full Version : Big Fish Lathe for Josh?

ed morini
03-02-2014, 10:53 AM
[

I have this lathe available ($0) if you think Josh could use this

Let me know

Ed

Redsoxticket
03-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I would hope that the kids mother is briefed on what is involved with turning wood.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
03-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Great Lathe Ed! Looks like a beast? Do you think it would be a good lathe for a new turner especially one who is 16 years old? What are your thoughts? Very generous offer!

PS-Any lathe will be run by his Mom for approval first!

numbskull
03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
That is too much tool for a kid in my opinion.

I'd also suggest you go slow and not overwhelm the kid and his Mom based on an afternoon's whim. Building plugs is a big investment in money, tools, materials, and time. It is not kid's play starting from scratch, and there are health/safety issues that should not be skimped (as any kid in a hurry and short on cash is apt to do).

Let the kid figure it out for himself rather than handing it to him, he'll be better for it. Six months from now he'll have a driver's license and lots else on his mind.

BigFish
03-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing George. I think you might be right. Thanks just the same Ed its a tough call but I do appreciate the offer.:)

iamskippy
03-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Larry invite him to spend some time in your shop, hes to far away for me. I recall a story here when i think it was nightfighter or rockfish had someone come to their shop and they could not believe what it takes to make a plug, your not done a quality plug in 1 day like most think.

ed morini
03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
First off it's not my choice to decide if the lathe is too much, that for his mom.
Having been a woodworking teacher, I would not recommend something I did not think was a safe set up. This lathe locks everything in and the turning is accomplished by a hand wheel, I think safer than a hand held chisel. With proper instruction and supervision it should be safe.

Again I only made the offer to helpout... if you can't use this I'll post it in the classifieds as I originally intended. Please pm me to let me know

Thanks

Ed

Eric Roach
03-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Such a nice sentiment to help this kid, but I agree with Numbskull; this is a dangerous hobby with high risk of immediate and long term harm by tools, lead, dust, vapors, etc.

He would be better off learning under direct supervision in a properly outfitted shop with an experienced instructor.

Does anyone know what town Josh is from? Maybe one of us could work with his mother and possibly have him make some plugs with one of us.

numbskull
03-02-2014, 01:46 PM
It is a cool lathe. Already has a duplicator. Free is an awful good deal.

So just let the kid know and let him and his mother decide. We should stay out of it until he asks for help.

Swimmer
03-02-2014, 02:04 PM
It is a cool lathe. Already has a duplicator. Free is an awful good deal.

So just let the kid know and let him and his mother decide. We should stay out of it until he asks for help.

Yup!

ProfessorM
03-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Send him over to Backbeach's house as they live in same town and Mike can sell him all his stuff cheap as I don't think he is using it anymore. I would probably recommend him buying some kits off S A L T Y and have at it and then if he likes it he can move on.

BTW that is a cool looking machine

BigFish
03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Fred lives in Clinton....Josh lives in Norfolk.

ProfessorM
03-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Not BackbeachJake , Backbeach- Mike L. who lives in Norfolk

BigFish
03-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I let Josh know there was a lathe in the classifieds for free if he was interested....that way it was up to him......he said he had alot going on and did not think he would get to use it much so just as well. Ed sincerely thanks again.

smac
03-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Maybe put together a collection of pre turned/sealed bodies for the kid that he can paint and put together himself?

I have some bodies he can have.

N.ShoreFisher
03-04-2014, 04:20 PM
sorry.....who's Josh?