View Full Version : I hope this doesn't become a recurring occurance...

FishermanTim
03-03-2014, 01:28 PM
It started early last month when I went to #^&#^&#^&#^&'s looking for winter sports stuff IN FEBRUARY only to find that most of their store has been converted to handle all the baseball, soccer and summer sales they get in the coldest month of the year!

Then I went out to find some ice melt, as the 400 lbs I had picked up 2 years ago had finally run out. All the stores that would normally have it had either ran out (and never re-ordered) or just changed over to spring gardening (because we all need to be thinking of our garden projects that we won't be able to even think about starting until after easter!

Now I check in over a half dozen stores looking for wood pellets, and they too are out of stock. These same stores have gone into full time spring gardening mode.

I understand the need to rotate stock and even anticipate the upcoming seasons, but can we at least try to make it through the most difficult one BEFORE it's over and not right after it began?

It seems that there is a shortage of pellets and ice melt, and it appears that no one put any thought into the idea that maybe because it's winter, that maybe we may get snow and cold weather?
These same shopping Einsteins were patting themselves on the back because they made a killing buying baseballs, soccer cleats and swimsuit onesies!

BigBo
03-03-2014, 01:59 PM
I went into my local Lowes and all the snow removal equipment was gone and the associates were setting up the patio furniture, canopy's, gas grills, etc. It was 20* outside and they're rolling out plants that would die within the same day if put outside in this weather. :smash:

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Don't blame the retail stores......there is a shortage of both right now. My wife works in a hardware store and they can't find pellets to order for the store. Even Home and Hearth, who is a Harmon dealer, is limiting people to 5 bags of pellets.

And as far as ice melt/rock salt, the wholesalers are holding on to supply for corporate customers....the little guy is an after thought right now.

Just thought I'd share....before this became Obama's or Duval's fault :hee:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockport24
03-03-2014, 03:32 PM
HA! I blame Duval! :D

Yeah I was at #^&#^&#^&#^&'s this weekend and they are in full spring mode, with all kinds of new fishing clothes and gear, still had a bunch of closeout winter stuff too...

believe it or not, spring is almost 2 weeks away!

FishermanTim
03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&'s had all their baseball and soccer gear out by Groundhog Day!

I love how these stores all appear to "fail to plan ahead" for this season. I had picked up ice melt 2 years ago from Ocean State and we finally ran out 2 weeks ago. Even they had begun the spring swith-over, even with another month of winter to go!

When you say pellets are scarce, you aren't kidding!
You would be better served if you went looking for Bigfoot instead!

Spring this year is going to be real interesting, as far as fishing goes.
With many lakes (in NH at least) having over 2 feet of ice the open water may show up around Memorial Day!

Once ice season officially ends for me, I will be prepping and planning for spring kayak fishing as soon as possible!

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Home and Hearth is officially out of pellets.....and the are never out....

Rockport24
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
yeah it's true on the ice out, gonna be a long wait if you want to go yakking in freshwater! You may be able to catch spring stripers before then!

Jackbass
03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
There was a video somewhere of a guy getting robbed at gun point for rock salt in Chicago. No lie.

nightfighter
03-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Check with your local DPW. Here, they have a pile of sand mixed with rock salt placed for residents to come fill their bucket for use around their residence.