View Full Version : tagging striped bass

tinyboatbigfish
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Just wondering in mass who u contact if u wanna tag fish u get for research any info would be great

thefishingfreak
03-03-2014, 04:46 PM
American littoral society

numbskull
03-03-2014, 05:57 PM
I'd advise against it.

I did it for a few years and Sauerkraut still does. Time out of water, however, is a major determinant of C&R mortality and tagging a fish in the summer is usually a death sentence even if it swims off.

I was also told some years ago by a biologist that random tagging such as recreational anglers do with the ALS has little or no impact on striped bass science. Tagging other species may be a different matter.

I had very few tag returns.
Getting them back into the water fast is the best policy.

SamSmith
03-03-2014, 07:24 PM
i've been thinking of doing it also. I've caught 4 tagged fish in the past 2 years and i'm pretty curious so see if these larger bass return to the same places each year. But yes mortality is a problem. Having a partner would be helpful so one could cradle the fish in the water while the other person tags it.

numbskull
03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
They do.

Sauerkraut tagged a fish then caught it again almost to the day a year later from the same spot.

Another reason not to kill large fish, there is apparently more chance than you think that you could catch it again.