View Full Version : Maine Stripers!

Backwater Guide
06-26-2003, 12:27 PM
The BIG Stripers are finally here in Maine! The Kennebec is really producing while the blueback herring run is in full swing. We just starting seeing fish in the 40lb class as of Tuesday. We went out this morning and caught the last hour and a half of the outgoing and boated 32 fish on 9" topwater FIN-S rubber baits. Noteable catches were 2- 36in., 1- 39.5in., and 1- 40.25 in. that weighed 37 lbs!

scarb - me
06-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Any suggestion for fishing the inlet of the marsh and from shore near Ferry Beach in Scarborough?

Whats the best times regarding tides?

pops02
06-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Good job backwater, good to hear. Can you tell me how the fishing is up in the rockland area ? particularly the westkeag, or also known as the "gig" ? Thanks

BigBo
06-26-2003, 08:53 PM
BG, 40.25" @ 37 lbs.??????? Hmmmmmm............:hs: Sure you're not trying to drum up a little business there?:confused:

JohnR
06-26-2003, 09:23 PM
still had the shroom anchor.... speaking of shrooms :laughs:

Scarb, fish the drop should start an hour after high and run all the way down. Don't remember (and didn't fish it enough) if it was better early drop or late. Also have no idea what the bar does these days at the mouth and if you can still get to it....

Love that spot.

Backwater Guide
06-29-2003, 01:32 PM
37 lbs for sure(weighed of course).....they are spawning fish and she was either full of eggs or blueback herring. I guess you would have to see it to believe it. I see quite a few stripers through the course of a season, and rarely are they built anywhere like they are here right now. Last week a 32 in fish weighed 18lbs!
We went out again on Friday and had the same outstanding success. Of course, if you were in the herring, you were in the fish. Of 47 fish landed in 7 hours, we landed 2 - 40+in, 7- 36+in, 16- 34+in, and the rest under 34in.....all on rubber baits. (Bait season is closed until July 1 to protect spawning fish.) Our heaviest fish weighed in at 32 lbs! Congratulations to Mike Willis of Scarborough who was high hook of the day with 29 fish!

I used to fish Ferry beach in Scarborough and have found the last hour of incoming in the morning or last 2 hrs of outgoing in the evening work best. Fish Macks on the bottom in the eddy above the Rock Marker on the incoming. Alot of Blues come in there at high too. Plug-em and you'll have some fun for sure. Stripers get fished hard there this time of year and I haven't seen many fish over 32" there. I've actually had better luck fishing the jetty on the opposite shore. Best luck has been the last half of the incoming. A good eddy develops and the stripers come in to feed heavily on crabs.

GiantBass911
07-06-2003, 09:33 AM
I believe backwater. A 14 year old kid pulled up a 44" off his dads private dock!

Saltheart
07-06-2003, 03:05 PM
40.25 inches by 37 lbs...........:laughs: