View Full Version : Shimano Stradic 5000fj

massbassman
03-06-2014, 03:37 PM
I was looking to see if anyone has used the newest version of the Stradic 5000fj in the surf? It seems that Shimano has made this reel alot more compact than the older Stradics that I remember. The 5000 that I held, felt more like a 4000 size reel. My question is... Does anyone have any input on the newer reel's abilities? It seemed very smooth, and well made, and seems to have enough drag for what I plan to throw on it. It's just the size that concerned me. I am going to match it to a GSB 1081l and throw plugs to 2 oz on it. Thanks for any input.

putty
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I am not bringing much to the table here as I haven't even touched one of the new Stradics yet, but I am thinking that if you are looking to use a Shimano reel in surf applications, then either of the new models of the Saragosa SW or the Spheros SW would be a preferred model simply for the added (perceived?) security of the x-shield gaskets to help prevent potential intrusion of water. I have been eyeballing both of these models as a replacement to my 6 year old Sustain 6000 FE which has served me quite well mostly from boat, but did use it for 8-10 outings from terra firma each season and it never did wrong by me.

the Spheros 5000 SW weighs in at around 18 oz. and the Saragosa 5000 SW comes in at 16 oz- I think the 6000 series are built on the same body with just a bigger spool whihc adds a negligible amount of weight (<1 oz.) for some additional line capacity

hope this helps!

Putty

SamSmith
03-06-2014, 05:14 PM
I have the 5000fj. Its basically a 4000 with a bigger spool and power knob. Great reel but I use it mostly from boat and kayak. I fished it all last season with no problems.

massbassman
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Before I get too far, I need to restate my intentions with the reel. It will not be used as a "surf" reel, and will be more of a light tackle, back bay setup. It will probably not see much more than a splash. In the salt, is what I should have said. So with that said,I'm just wondering about the overall performance of the reel. The changes, according to Shimano, even in downsizing the reel, all reflect positive improvements to the internal components, and reducing overall weight, which is what draws me to the reel. The only drawback I see is the jump in size from the 5000 to the 6000, which I feel is huge. The 6000, compares closely to my Spheros 8000. It feels slightly small on the GSB, although extremely light. I really do like the reel as its always had a solid reputation.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

SamSmith
03-06-2014, 10:02 PM
the 1081L and the 5000. i just mated them together and its not that much of a difference than the vs150 i normally have mounted there. It does feel a tiny bit small on that rod but that could probably be compensated by reel seat placement and weight of the rear grip.

other than that the fj is an awesome reel.

massbassman
03-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the input Sam, it feels like a great match, light as a feather. I have a BP gift card, and are thinking I'll pull the trigger on one over the weekend. They're having a sale where you can bring in ANY reel, even a $5 push button, and they'll give you $40 off another reel. It's a pretty good deal, so I should be able to pick one up for next to nothing.

East Tide
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
I own both (but not paired) and think that would be an ideal setup for what you are looking to do. I use 30 lb Suffix 832 on mine which I'm very happy with as well.

seadogg
03-07-2014, 07:03 PM
The 5000FJ is one badazz reel. I bought mine last spring and used it in the everglades for tarpon on a 10-20 lb. Star "Seagis" rod. I was fighting fish over 100 lbs and the reel was holding its own. Granted, I didn't land any on that particular combo (they kept shaking me off), but there was no question the reel had the power to finish the job. My primary application for the reel up here is just what you're looking to purchase it for. It's a great light tackle/back bay reel, but the thing can handle so much more when needed. Get it!

massbassman
03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I've heard enough good things, and done enough homework to consider this a good buy. It paired very nicely on the GSB, and should be a fun combo. It's nice to know that it can handle larger fish too, if necessary. Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate it.