View Full Version : Paints mixed into Epoxy

Linesider82
03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
anyone here ever tried mixing paint into epoxy? I don't have an air brush so getting more detailed work is difficult and thought I might be able to using epoxy that was tinted.

BigFish
03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Maybe you should try it?

ThrowingTimber
03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
You have a solution (airbrush) and you are looking for a problem. Mixing either water based paints or solvent based paints with epoxy.

Save for a proper airbrush and when you have enough use a craft stores 50% off coupon to purchase, stick to plain white, yellow, black paint schemes which can all be done with spray cans. Those colors have nailed fish for centuries! I've never seen a fish swim up to a lure at mach 2 mouth open dying to inhale the lure and turn away at the last second because it did'nt have a scale finish in 18 colors..

If that still is not possible suggest maybe picking up a lower end model (airbrush) from harbor freight type place and just using it for simple basics to dress up the rattle canned lures, using their 20-25% off coupon.

Lastly there are pigments that can be added to epoxy for use in rodbuilding that can be mixed with epoxy and they're readily available. Personally I think they look horrible but if that's the look you're after, those may get it done for you. Mudhole tackle carries them, I'm sure acid rod and other rod building business' carry them as well, but they're pigments and not paints.

outnumbered
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Some of the guys on here do some nice detailing with rattle cans only.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Eric Roach
03-07-2014, 10:31 AM
I had some white paint pigment specific for use with epoxy. I got it for the epoxy sealing process in an attempt to reduce the number of primer coats to opaque the lure. It noticably reduced epoxy drying time so I stopped using it.

Unfortunately, I chucked it last month -- would have givien it to you to try.

ThrowingTimber has some good points, though I think we all (at some times at least) enjoy the details of lure finishing.

Ian
03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
anyone here ever tried mixing paint into epoxy? I don't have an air brush so getting more detailed work is difficult and thought I might be able to using epoxy that was tinted.

Drive to Skippy's house and steal that setup be picked up off Eric at Plugfest... I'll distract him by saturating the cable company with tech problem phone calls.

iamskippy
03-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Drive to Skippy's house and steal that setup be picked up off Eric at Plugfest... I'll distract him by saturating the cable company with tech problem phone calls.

Lol thanks buddddy... i may be considering parting with one.

iamskippy
03-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I have mixed paint and pearl in my epoxy(etex) amd have made some sweet stuff.

chefchris401
03-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Use testors paints

Pour off the thinner and use the concentrated pigments on the bottom.

Mix a little in with epoxy.

Google how they do marble rods, same concept but without the swirling technique

I did it last year with black pigment mixed
Into the epoxy over all black plugs.

Lots of options.

Plus some cool techinques if you use the swirling idea on a spinner or I use a piece of plastic wrap and dap the paint.

If you look in the rod building forum there's a century rod I built using the above method, looks like green marble.

Ian
03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Use testors paints

Pour off the thinner and use the concentrated pigments on the bottom.

Mix a little in with epoxy.

Google how they do marble rods, same concept but without the swirling technique

I did it last year with black pigment mixed
Into the epoxy over all black plugs.

Lots of options.

Plus some cool techinques if you use the swirling idea on a spinner or I use a piece of plastic wrap and dap the paint.

If you look in the rod building forum there's a century rod I built using the above method, looks like green marble.

Do they make a gold?

The Dad Fisherman
03-07-2014, 03:55 PM
There's a powder like interference they make that they sell at the craft stores...mix a little in the epoxy and it will add either a purple/gold or Turquoise/Gold hue to the plugs when you mix with epoxy.....especially works well over darker colors.

Raven
03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Do they make a gold?

gold leaf and gold powder (real gold powder) is insanely fine
used in the antique art of sign painting for door lettering
but of course expensive...i used to have some because
my oldest brother did that kind of work

Ian
03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
There's a powder like interference they make that they sell at the craft stores...mix a little in the epoxy and it will add either a purple/gold or Turquoise/Gold hue to the plugs when you mix with epoxy.....especially works well over darker colors.

:buds: Looks really good.

Ian
03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
gold leaf and gold powder (real gold powder) is insanely fine
used in the antique art of sign painting for door lettering
but of course expensive...i used to have some because
my oldest brother did that kind of work

I ask because I'm building a rod for a buddy and this might be a good transition from the top of the grip. The rod is a black/gold theme and the marbling effect would really tie things together.

I think there are some threads in places that explain this, I'll have to do some google-ing this weekend to find it.

chefchris401
03-07-2014, 05:03 PM
ian, they make every color, its testors model paint, small 1oz bottles, available at craft stores and any where car models are sold usually

chefchris401
03-07-2014, 05:05 PM
http://striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=79466&highlight=1267

this shows the marble on the rod

pbadad
03-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Matt like Chris said, Testors enamel paint. That's what I use for marlbling and black epoxy trim. iI have an airbrush for you!!!!!!LOL

Swimmer
03-07-2014, 07:02 PM
My wife used to paint gold onto chairs years ago. About the time she stopped she had purchase a brand new one oz. bottle of pure gold and do you think I have been able to find, no. Stil looking though.

Charleston
03-08-2014, 11:54 AM
I have a few colors of that powder I got in a trade years back. I never tried it. I'll bet the gold would look nice over a white plug.

Eric Roach
03-08-2014, 12:15 PM
http://striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=79466&highlight=1267

this shows the marble on the rod

Nice marbling job on that rod, Chris.

TheLureWasher
04-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Ive tinted epoxy with the tiniest drop of createx or any other acrylic paint

stripermaineiac
04-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Nice thread. Keep this in mind. 1 drop of some tints can change 50 gallons of paint,epoxy or whatever polymer your using. Start very small and make sure you do a running log to keep track of your tests.Not all surfaces are the same to include primers,sealers and paints types ie satin,gloss or flat.Also tints are like adding sand to paint for traction-epoxy covers gloss better than flat.