View Full Version : Plug blank sizes

N.ShoreFisher
03-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Just curious, I know that this will be VERY subjective depending on who you ask, but what length are you guys cutting your blanks before turning or carving them? I'm sure there's probably some "standard" sizes. 8" for a 7" lure? I'm thinking that I really need to get my wood pile in order, and want to do a better job with organizing. So what might those sizes be? And yes, I know it depends on the size of the lure you want to make, but I'm sure there are some standards.

Nebe
03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Figure out what plugs you want to make and add 2 inches. ;)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
03-11-2014, 10:44 AM
I'd say the best system is to store your Wood in full lengths and cut blocks when you are ready to spin. That's the best organization system you can have.

Eric Roach
03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Like Nebe said, add 2"; but I often add 2.5" if the end tapers are very thin (under 1/4") because it leaves more room to taper away from the squared ends. I don't like getting too cramped when operating the Vega because that piece sure will jump if the cutter catches an end.

This isn't a hard rule, because ultimately I try to get the most out of the piece of lumber I'm using. i.e., if I have 3' of board and it's a 7" plug, I'll try to keep the blanks at 9" instead of 9.5".

mikecc
03-11-2014, 11:29 AM

X2

N.ShoreFisher
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
good to know...thanks guys!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM

:uhuh: