View Full Version : Tow insurance

Christian
06-26-2003, 07:57 PM
I need to buy tow insurance. What's the best for boston harborand environs. The west marine ins is cheap but how does it compare to Sea Tow.

missing link
06-26-2003, 08:21 PM
What we did in Wareham we spotted out where the towboat and where the seatow boat were... like with the seatow we found that they can only leave the harbor at low tide becaue there is a low bridge there. But with tow boat u.s there is a boat right in onset harbor, that could leave any time . Try that

- Matt

:D

Fly Rod
06-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Isn't sea tow part of west marine or is boat U S??? either one gives you the same coverage For $100.00 for the year they will tow you up to 50 miles. they will toe you from straight out up to 50 miles to your home port. Also from 25 miles up the coast or 25miles down the coast = 50 miles. If you break down and don't have the coverage it will cost you about $140.00 per hour from the time they leave the dock. It's like having triple A They will also bring you gas and or jump start you if need be. It's cheap insurance if you ever have to use it.

Both companies have cheaper polices but you better read between the lines. It will still cost you a bundle with the cheaper policy.

RockLobsta
06-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Christian

Check out the threads on thehulltruth.com regarding this. There are many. Very informative. I have recently purchased insurance and made my decision after reading all of them.

-JF

JohnR
06-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Christian - look at Sea Tow but state that you are a member of MSBA - there is a group discount for members. I know last year I said I was going to do it for this year but NEXT year I'll have a Sea Tow group membership discount for S-B members :kewl:

Van
06-27-2003, 08:16 PM
What John said, thats what I do.

Good Luck.
V.

missing link
06-27-2003, 08:28 PM
I herd form the grape vine, tow boat us. , are owner operaters ,the sea tow opp's are company boats, more incentive faster response from owner opp's . I think it all depends where you boat search on the net for response times
I know I have a tow boat US in Onset , Ma. there are also boats in New bedford
Later LINK!\

Mr. Sandman
06-28-2003, 10:37 AM
What are the areas these guys cover? How far will they run? How do you contact them (vhf channel?) I am thinking about subscribing but I don't see the (direct) answers to these questions on their web site.
Will the run 20 mi's south of MV to tow you in?

Roop
06-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately I can speak with first hand knowledge after being towed in via my Sea Tow membership Friday AM.

Sea Tow came from Plymouth to get me in Barstable. THe Captain, Darryl, was extremely professional the whole time, during the intiitla discussion we ran through a diagnosis of what could be wrong with my motor and he checked in on me 2X on his way over.

Once under tow we had several communications, we got up to 20 MPH once out of Barnstable harbor.

His hourly rate is $175 an hour from the time he leaves his slip to the time he drops you off. Total charge would have been $788 - best $90 worth of insurance I ever spent.

In contrast, I understand the competition charges only while under tow and therefore will not work to get you back to your point of origin in a timely manner.

Overall a very positive part of an unpleasant situation.

My kids want me to put in the following Smilies: :bgi: :yak: :yak4: :yak6: :yak5:

Christian
06-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Went with Sea tow.

Christian
06-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Actually Repirts-

Thought we were going to need Seatow today. Put the boat in the water for the first time today. Started rightup but idled rough and stalled repeatedly. Only got a little way before turning back. I"m going to call to have it serviced tomorrow- hope it isn't too long or too $$$. Christian and I have put a lot of work into it since we bought it in May. It ran fine when i checked it out before buying it. Really discouraging!!

mrmacey
06-30-2003, 06:16 AM
vessal assist thats what i have but im thinkin of sea tow they seem to be everywhere!

MakoMike
06-30-2003, 07:34 AM
Guys,
FWIW, sea tow are privately owned franchises.

mrmacey
06-30-2003, 07:37 AM
your motor has been down for awhile same thing happened with mine i tried to use the gas i had in there then i filled with good premium and a can of dry gas solved my problem!

Raven
06-30-2003, 08:25 AM
i dont trust anything else on motors? they get gunked up quick if you have anything wrong...way before you have engine trouble.

eeldrifter
06-30-2003, 08:52 AM
We ahve had the TowBoat US insurance for yeras and its great.
Get the full coverage pkg, you can't beat the deal and its no questions asked if you need it.
And, they are all over the place, communicating with each other from location to location once they hear a call for aid from a carrier.
They are great as far as we are concerned.
PS...hope you don't need them often.
eeldrifter

Mr. Sandman
06-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the tow info...

Re: filters. I am a big believer in filters.... besides the ones on the engine itself; I have always liked the RACOR style see thru bowl. It allows you to drain water on the fly if you have to. One for each engine. Change the cartridges every 100 hours or each season.

Other tips to reduce fuel problems are:

Dump a couple cans of dry gas in there a couple times a year (esp. when storing boat for the winter)

When storing long term keep the tank topped off (reduces condensation on the inside of the tank) and make sure you have some conditioner in there

The engine companies also have some decent products on the market for fuel conditioning. Most of them are basically alcohol, which as you know mixes with water ( :D ) and then can be burned like fuel. (As long as you don't have too much water in there)

Van
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
What is the power on that boat?
HP and Make ?

Christian
07-01-2003, 03:40 PM
merc 175:eek: :D :happy: my dad just put in new plugs and cleaned the carborator and says it runs alot better now.

Van
07-01-2003, 07:29 PM
OK, never mind then, my buddies got the same boat but it came with a 150 maha.

Lots of carburator problems.....

Hope you are all set..

I just came back from the marina, but I did not look for your boat. I forgot. I will though,...
Later,
V