View Full Version : Frustrated

N.ShoreFisher
03-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Anyone else just have one of those days/nights where you go into the plug cave, and no matter what the heck you do, you screw it up? Ughhh. I have just had a seemingly endless string of screw ups, set backs and overall clusterf#$ks lately. Just needed to vent, because my wife sure as hell doesn't care about "my little hobby" and I don't have any close friends that make lures. Anyway, not gonna even glance at my stuff in the basement until tomorrow, try and clear my head. I wanted to chuck a needle that I made out of mahogany last night after screwing up the through wire drilling, but stopped myself when I figured if I did throw it, it would probably bounce back and kill me somehow. The damn shame of it was it had the most beautiful grain I've ever seen in any of my mahogany, tons of gold and amber veins running through it. Oh well. :fury::fury::fury::fury::fury::fury::fury:

Eric Roach
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM
I hear you. Somewhere in this forum is a picture of one of Numbskull's plugs on fire in the snow. I always think of that when things go continually wrong.

Sometimes, no matter what, things are going to fail but I've found the more I try to rush things along the greater the chance of something going awry. Not saying that's what you're doing, but it has hindered me.

With through-drilling hard woods, I got advice at the beginning to "go slooooooow", especially when making the initial contact with the bit.

Yeah, just leave it be for a while until you remember why you wanted to make them in the first place -- it's supposed to be fun. And hey, some of the failures are indeed humorous.

Good luck and "keep plugging" along.

BigFish
03-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I have a rule....when things begin to go wrong....walk away and start again another day! Usually fatigue is what gets to me.....you get so focused you get weary! Set your work aside and take a break when it happens! Regroup and attack it again fresh later!:uhuh:

Swimmer
03-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I have a rule....when things begin to go wrong....walk away and start again another day! Usually fatigue is what gets to me.....you get so focused you get weary! Set your work aside and take a break when it happens! Regroup and attack it again fresh later!:uhuh:

Yup, works for me, at least in this job.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
03-13-2014, 03:35 PM
some days the stars are not
in the correct alignment

smac
03-13-2014, 04:11 PM
And on the opposite side of the spectrum, you can be in an unconscious state of mind (not complacency) and just turn and burn and can't seem to have enough wood laying around.

piemma
03-14-2014, 05:55 AM
i agree. just walk away for awhile.

Nebe
03-14-2014, 07:11 AM
I make stuff for a living and when I get frustrated, I can't walk away.. So what I do is just take some deep breaths, and switch gears and make the easy stuff until I feel better..

Linesider82
03-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Had the same experience earlier this year. Billy D showed me a trick to through drilling. I have a craftsman drill press, it has a swiveling bed and in the center of the bed is a huge factory hole meant for bits to go into and not hit the bed. So we know the drill point is fixed meaning it will always drill the same distance away from the stand, the only variable is the side to side movement of the bed when it is unlocked. Bill gave me a center point, kind of like a belly grommet but one end has a point in the middle. So I drilled a hole through the bed of the drill press anywhere, then drop the center point in. Now I have a point that is directly in-line with my drill.... until I move it again. So if I need to find center again, I chuck the bit I want to use to pilot the hole. Move the bed to the correct height, take the bit out, take the centerpoint out, put a 12-14" bit into the chuck, then spin the drill manually to see how this long bit aligns with the hole previously drill in the bed. It will have some play, so adjust it until its best fit centered and lock the bed. Rechuck your intented bit, put the center point back in the drill hole. Now again you have two things aligned, the center point on the bed and the point of the drill bit.

johnny ducketts
03-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Is it possible to fill the holes, use screw eyes instead

The Dad Fisherman
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Don't chuck the needle yet....drill the belly hook holes and see if you can make the through hole "Match up" there....i've done that a few times and it worked.

ThrowingTimber
03-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Through drill your blank first...

The Dad Fisherman
03-14-2014, 01:38 PM

:uhuh:

Linesider82
03-14-2014, 10:26 PM
if you're making a center drilled plug yes you can pre drill, but not for most swimming plugs . the hole being offset

GattaFish
03-15-2014, 06:07 AM
. fatigue :uhuh:

There are studies on this and they equate certain levels of fatigue to blood alcohol levels for a comparison to impairment. Scary stuff if you think about your hand close to machinery in your shop.

At any time we are now allowed to call in fatigued for work and there is NOTHING the company can do except put us in a hotel and let us rest.

Definitely try what TDF said. Most importantly don't toss that needle. Hang it in your shop as a reminder and you never know someday it will come to you with an idea to fix and finish it.

BigFish
03-15-2014, 06:13 AM
Yeah say I am turning or drilling.......I screw up 2 or 3 thru-drills! I know its time to set that work aside and move to something else....hand sanding bodies or priming or sealing. Then go back to that other step later.:uhuh:

iamskippy
03-15-2014, 06:54 AM
Maybe its LowT

piemma
03-15-2014, 06:55 AM

I always did this. i cannot understand why you would turn and then drill.

iamskippy
03-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Had the same experience earlier this year. Billy D showed me a trick to through drilling. I have a craftsman drill press, it has a swiveling bed and in the center of the bed is a huge factory hole meant for bits to go into and not hit the bed. So we know the drill point is fixed meaning it will always drill the same distance away from the stand, the only variable is the side to side movement of the bed when it is unlocked. Bill gave me a center point, kind of like a belly grommet but one end has a point in the middle. So I drilled a hole through the bed of the drill press anywhere, then drop the center point in. Now I have a point that is directly in-line with my drill.... until I move it again. So if I need to find center again, I chuck the bit I want to use to pilot the hole. Move the bed to the correct height, take the bit out, take the centerpoint out, put a 12-14" bit into the chuck, then spin the drill manually to see how this long bit aligns with the hole previously drill in the bed. It will have some play, so adjust it until its best fit centered and lock the bed. Rechuck your intented bit, put the center point back in the drill hole. Now again you have two things aligned, the center point on the bed and the point of the drill bit.

I have an old tail stock live center i use, same principle as the dowel ome.

piemma
03-15-2014, 06:58 AM
BTW, I use to have a problem with the holes not meeting up when drilling long blanks. learned a trick form "he who cannot be named". Drill your starter holes at both ends with a smaller short bit. Then go to a longer bit. Works every time now. :uhuh:

N.ShoreFisher
03-15-2014, 08:10 AM
I always did this. i cannot understand why you would turn and then drill.

Because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing! lol. I'm still pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to all these little things I should know, but don't. That's a good idea about drilling first, and I plan to use that from now on when doing needles, poppers and pencils. I also like the idea of the starter holes being just slightly larger. The through drilling disaster was mostly because, although I was drilling slowly, I was using a handheld drill(I know, stupid!) because I didn't want to wait for my drill chuck my dad got for me for my bday. But I ended up drilling out the ends, and am now using it as a master on my dup, and really trying to dial in my duplicator. Thanks for all the responses as usual guys! You're all aces in my book, except for a few of you jokers! lol

spence
03-15-2014, 01:22 PM
BTW, I use to have a problem with the holes not meeting up when drilling long blanks. learned a trick form "he who cannot be named". Drill your starter holes at both ends with a smaller short bit. Then go to a longer bit. Works every time now. :uhuh:
That's what I always did. Drill both ends in about 1-1/2 to 2" and finish the middle by hand with an aircraft bit.

-spence

pbadad
03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
1 tip I will give which I'm sure many do, when following the lathe centers for drilling, use a standard twist bit not a brad point. The standard twist bit will follow the lathe center taper where as the brad point only needs a prick punch hole and is cenetered on the pint of the brad point drill. I use a drill press with dowel center and adjust height of table according plug length. I start with a short 5/32" bit, drill both ends the length of bit then use a 6" bit inserted into the hole then chuck the plug, drill then repeat on other end. I either hit the two ends if it's a short plug (5") or on longer just finish w/ 10" aircraft bit. Minimal error. drill on lathe is great providing your lathe has an extention but you still need to drill starter hole then progress to longer. Also change lathe speed 1200-1400rpm. If I known this prior to plugfest, I would've brought the press and did a demo!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-15-2014, 07:19 PM

:uhuh:

seabuggy
03-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I drill the blank on the lathe before turning as described above. Once in a while you miss. If you get frustrated, stop and have a shot of VO or two. If things don't get better, two more. If you don't feel better after three or four tries, take up golf.

BigFish
03-15-2014, 08:38 PM

Thats how I do mine Paul! I do turn mine before through drilling but I have no problem! And you can't through drill metal lipped swimmers before you turn them as was stated earlier! I used to thru-drill my stock before I truned but I do it after now.......no issues and it just plain works!:uhuh:

Also as was stated I drill my belly holes and then thru drill to meet the belly holes....much better!

N.ShoreFisher
03-15-2014, 08:38 PM
I drill the blank on the lathe before turning as described above. Once in a while you miss. If you get frustrated, stop and have a shot of VO or two. If things don't get better, two more. If you don't feel better after three or four tries, take up golf.

Hahaha.....thanks, I'll take it under advisement.